News   Jul 26, 2024
 991     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.7K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.5K     3 

Where's the emphasis on scooters and motorcyckes?

Admiral Beez

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I keep hearing on the radio that the city is trying to get people out of their cars. Generally the message is get people onto bikes, transit or walking. However, where's the emphasis on scooters and motorcyles? As a motocyclist, I take very little space when parking, use very little fuel and take very little space on the road. Seems the ideal transit solution.

I keep hearing on the radio that the city is trying to get people out of their cars. Generally the message is get people onto bikes, transit or walking. However, where's the emphasis on scooters and motorcyles? As a motocyclist, I take very little space when parking, use very little fuel and take very little space on the road. Seems the ideal transit solution.

Our climate might have something to do with it, but I'm not sure.

I was thinking about this the other day... I was walking by a scooter and I thought: why the hell do we not have more of these around? They are perfect urban transit. And yes... it's not good for 12 months of the year, but I'm sure you could get 6-8 months out of it.

The only thing I can think of is that people may think they are unsafe, and I think a lot of people consider getting another licence to be a drag. But I have no in-depth answer.

Quoting something I once read off the top of my head, I believe injuries from motorcycle accidents are far higher than those of cars accidents. That could be an issue, as well.

I think a variable climate does make a difference; for those who need a vehicle it would necessarily mean two vehicles.

Quoting something I once read off the top of my head, I believe injuries from motorcycle accidents are far higher than those of cars accidents. That could be an issue, as well.
Same goes for accidents between cars and bicycles, which hasn't stopped the city from pushing everyone toward riding bicycles. As a motorcyclist and a former cyclist (used to ride from Ontario Place to Warden Ave every night when working at OP during university summers), IMO, you're safer in city traffic on a motocycle than on a bicycle, since you're louder (thus more noticed) and have the speed to get out of trouble, plus a good horn and you own, not share your lane.

Also, according to the Canadian Insurance Industry, over 50% of all motorcycle crashes are 100% the operator's fault (usually single vehicle crashes, with operator driving over their abilities), and a further 25% are 50/50 fault sharing with another vehicle, with only the final 25% being 100% the other driver's fault. Thus, if you can stop the 75% of the crashes that are partially your own fault, AND drive to defend against the other 25%, you'll be fine.
I think a variable climate does make a difference; for those who need a vehicle it would necessarily mean two vehicles.
But this goes the same for bicycles, which we're pushing everyone to use.

^I'm not arguing against scooters etc.; just trying to figure out their lack of popularity like everyone else.

1. They're loud
2. They pollute (because small engines are less efficient)
3. They're not safe
4. They're not faster than a bike
5. You look like a f__king douchebag riding around on one*

*HD bias.

Hipster Duck 1. They're loud
2. They pollute (because small engines are less efficient)
3. They're not safe
4. They're not faster than a bike
5. You look like a f__king douchebag riding around on one*

*HD bias.

1. Some are louder then others
2. They use less gas
3. Not as safe as a car but alright as long as you dont drive crazy
4. If there not faster then a bike then why do they need a license to drive one?
5. If you look like a douchebag riding around in one good! who cares what other people think of you.
6. Motorbikes are cheaper to buy
7. You spend less on gas
8. There fun to ride
9. Europe likes them, why not us?
10.Che explored south america with one
11.True you cant use it all year round, thats what the ttc is for in the winter. Consider it a step in the right direction for helping ease the enviromental crisis
12. Walking on busy roads can be dangers, doesnt mean we should stop walking, or that we should leave the house with knee pads, pedestrians get hit all year round, but what we can do is try and reduce the chances of people getting injured, same goes for fast moving vehicles!

Just for clarification, when you say scooter, do you mean something like a Moped or do you mean that little push forward with your foot kind that was popular in the late 90s?

My real problem is that if I was going to get a scooter, I'd get an old restored Vespa; in which case I might use less gas than my car, but that little two-stroke engine without any emissions scrubbers will pollute a heck of a lot more.

My real problem is that if I was going to get a scooter, I'd get an old restored Vespa; in which case I might use less gas than my car, but that little two-stroke engine without any emissions scrubbers will pollute a heck of a lot more.
Vespas, clean, four stroke models are now on sale in Canada.

Back