2.3K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 581     0 

Where should completed projects go?

JasonParis

Member Bio
Reaction score
As per CDL.TO:

It really seems to me that a Projects and Construction thread has a certain form to it. Details of plans, speculation on start dates, discussions on construction, ongoing assessments, photo updates, post-construction reviews and updates usually going on for many, many pages in length.

While Building and Architecture takes another form, often kicked off by a newspaper article and even if discussing an existing building, doesn't contain those elements listed above and rarely lasts for more than a few pages.

I think P&C threads should stay in P&C simply because they are different creatures. It also doesn't seem to make sense that a forumer hoping to read about or post an update on a recently completed project should have to wager a guess as to which section the thread will be in.

I think you are quite right by the way, but the other side of the coin is that 10 years from now will it still make sense to be discussing the merits of Spire in a section of the forum that's supposed to be about current projects? Or do we have two Spire threads running concurrently? Also, what is B&A for if not for completed projects?

We also decided to move completed projects to B&A as some members had been requesting that we do so for a while.

It's a hard call really. Would a Current Projects and a new Completed Projects section work better? Although, you may still have the same argument about when a project should be moved to Buildings & Architecture as nobody is discussing the development anymore, just how the building looks architecturally, etc.

Please discuss!

Since there's no such thing as cabinet solidarity amongst the mods (as far as I have been made aware), I agree with CDL.TO.

I also suggested (and will repeat here) an idea of splitting into proposed/under construction sub-forum and a completed construction sub-forum as a compromise.

The volume of posts on a project following completion drops off steeply. I don't think the odd comment or question about a completed project should be considered an inconvenience.

I see the main difference between B&A and P&C is that one is for generalities while the other is for specific projects.

What I'd like to see are parallel threads made, one in P&C and one in B&A, so that you could read one thread if you're interested in the actual progress of construction and another if you're into the whole design critique thing. Some construction threads (One St. Thomas comes to mind) get so derailed by arguments about architecture that you need to sift through pages of posts to find news about the actual construction.

I dunno, maybe it just needs more stringent moderation at first, until people get used to it. But between the same three or four people rehashing the same debate in every thread and all of the off-topic posting it gets to be that there's very little discussion of actual construction in the P&C section.

perhaps there should be some time period after construction is completed where the thread will remain open in P & C... maybe 6 months or a year. After that I think that thread should be locked and a new one for that building started in B & A. There are some other good suggestions on here as well, but the one option that really doenst make sense to me is to leave P&C threads open ended long after a project is complete. P&C needs to focus on current and proposed developments...

So what is UT's official position on this anyway?
Are completed projects being moved to the B&A forum?
What is considered completed? For example, TLS has been architectually completed for a while now, but it's still in the P&C forum.

Khristopher, it can be tough to determine when a project is done. For example, I do not agree that TLS is done as we are waiting for more exterior signage still. Once there is general agreement though that a project is finished, yup, projects eventually migrate to the B&A section.

One setup I made at another forum was to have completed projects moved to B&A, but to its own dedicated sub-forum under B&A to keep them seperate and make the archived threads easy to find.

Maybe here a sub-forum for them could be created, if not under B&A then perhaps under P&C itself.

Back