News   Jul 30, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 672     0 

Where Does the Snow Get Dumped?

Depends on the road, if you live in a "Green road" (see map http://www1.toronto.ca/City Of Toro...les/pdf/2012/City_Wide Maps/city-wide_map.pdf), they won't plough it at all until 8cm has fallen.

See snow ploughing, from City of Toronto site.

I'm curious about what methodology they use to decide who gets plowed. They apparently never plow the streets near where a friend of mine lives (I believe they're the "Green roads" you talked about), but there's nothing about those streets that I can see that would make them any less "worthy" of plowing services. In fact, his street has many more homes on it than my own, so I'd hope that his street would get priority.

??? The green are laneways. They never plow any of the ones shown green around me. Not even with the worst of storms. They put salt down, that's it.
There must be some that they plough, because they say that they do. Although when I lived on St. Clair West (west of Bathurst), they never, ever ploughed or salted our laneway.

I knew that laneways were green roads, but I wasn't aware that everything on that map that is green is a laneway (I haven't inspected every square inch of it).

I'm curious about what methodology they use to decide who gets plowed. They apparently never plow the streets near where a friend of mine lives (I believe they're the "Green roads" you talked about), but there's nothing about those streets that I can see that would make them any less "worthy" of plowing services. In fact, his street has many more homes on it than my own, so I'd hope that his street would get priority.

Good question. A friend of mine has lived in the same house for over 30 years in Oakville and they have never regularly ploughed or even salted his road. It's a crescent off a crescent, so is considered "non priority".

There must be some that they plough, because they say that they do. Although when I lived on St. Clair West (west of Bathurst), they never, ever ploughed or salted our laneway.

I knew that laneways were green roads, but I wasn't aware that everything on that map that is green is a laneway (I haven't inspected every square inch of it).

I think the text on the website about ploughing of green roads is erronous - perhaps based on a different version of the map?

The map legend says green is laneways.

On the page for the map it has the table:
The different road classifications are:
  1. expressway
  2. major arterial road
  3. minor arterial road
  4. collector road
  5. local road
  6. laneway
Presumably then the text "Local roads (green roads) ploughing initiated after 8 cm of snow and snowfall is completed" means the grey ones on the map, not the green ones.

So where are these local roads that haven't been ploughed? We had some significant snow Sunday/Monday last week, and everything seemed ploughed by Tuesday. And then we had more on Saturday/Sunday ending yesterday evening, with accumulation (at Pearson) of about 8.6 cm - so that barely triggered local road plouging Sunday evening ... so 14-16 hours after the end of the snow should give them to ... well about right now.

Back