News   Jul 30, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 672     0 

Wheelchair/Stroller accessible TTC street cars

Why should streetcars be "stroller accessible"? As a parent of a child with a stroller, the existing vehicles are fine - you simply fold up the stroller, before entering the vehicle, and carry it like an umbrella. The problems with strollers on streetcars are more to do with people trying to use inappropriately large strollers.

As for wheelchairs - purchasing begins later this year, if someone passes TTC money to do so. But some existing vehicles will still be running until 2020 or so. And even then, I don't there's been much thought on how to make stops on non-reserved ROW accessible. It would require both a ramp from the sidewalk to the road (which would make buses that stop in the same location less accessible) - and some kind of ramp either in the middle of the road, or on the vehicles themselves.

Why should streetcars be "stroller accessible"? As a parent of a child with a stroller, the existing vehicles are fine - you simply fold up the stroller, before entering the vehicle, and carry it like an umbrella. The problems with strollers on streetcars are more to do with people trying to use inappropriately large strollers.

As for wheelchairs - purchasing begins later this year, if someone passes TTC money to do so. But some existing vehicles will still be running until 2020 or so. And even then, I don't there's been much thought on how to make stops on non-reserved ROW accessible. It would require both a ramp from the sidewalk to the road (which would make buses that stop in the same location less accessible) - and some kind of ramp either in the middle of the road, or on the vehicles themselves.

Thanks for the reply..

I have a double stroller, not something I can fold easily, I can't just take out my newborn, groceries and almost 3 year-old all in my arms all at once and stand while holding on to the folded stroller in a moving vehicle that's packed with people?? Yes, very realistic with 1 child + groceries but not 2 and a double phil&teds stroller. There are accessible busses, they accomodate both strollers and wheelchairs, comfortable and roomy even in rush hour, so why should streetcars be any different.

One thing I noticed since emigrating to Canada, people do not offer seats to elders or people with kids very often, I see everyone staring then hiding their eyes behind newspapers or pretending to sleep. Another reason I bought a Phil&Ted (yes, it's larger than an umbrella) so I can bump the stroller with 2 kids in it + groceries up and down the subway stairs because many subways are not accessible and the only people that ever asked to help me with it are old frail ladies who need help themselves lol

P.S. I'm not expecting help, I prefer to be self-sufficient, hense the stroller with big wheels, the only kind you can bump up and down many flights of stairs.

What's at City Hall?

I can easily take the subway there from High Park (not accessible either) but I'm also curious about the future of accessible street cars, they were advertised all over TTC ads, so I'm curious about whatever happened to their plans.

P.S. I'm sure other parents with more than one kid who regularly use TTC might be interested in accessible street cars.

Yeah, I can see a double might be a problem. Though at some point, there has to be a line between providing accessibility for ever increasing vehicles. Wheelchair sure. Double stroller for infants, sure. Triple strollers (for people with triplets). What about those huge drivable carts you see elderly people driving down the street?

Can't say I've ever seen a double stroller on a streetcar - though perhaps that's simply because they don't fit, rather than demand. Though I see a lot of 3-year olds walking ...

New streetcars several years away

The TTC put out the tender for 204 accessible low floor light rail vehicles (streetcars) on January 17, 2008. Since then there have been 6 addenda issued and the tender now closes June 30 (I think the original closing date was in April). http://www2.ttc.ca/docs/Advertisments PP/P32PX07820.html
Then the TTC must select a winning bidder and award the contract, assuming funding has been secured. These vehicles have to be custom built to meet the requirements of Toronto's existing streetcar infrastructue. I think the first prototypes are to hit the streets for testing in 2010 and then delivery of more vehicles to begin in 2011?

The TTC put out the tender for 204 accessible low floor light rail vehicles (streetcars) on January 17, 2008. Since then there have been 6 addenda issued and the tender now closes June 30 (I think the original closing date was in April). http://www2.ttc.ca/docs/Advertisments PP/P32PX07820.html
Then the TTC must select a winning bidder and award the contract, assuming funding has been secured. These vehicles have to be custom built to meet the requirements of Toronto's existing streetcar infrastructue. I think the first prototypes are to hit the streets for testing in 2010 and then delivery of more vehicles to begin in 2011?

Thanks Chris, exactly what I was looking for :)

junction - take those dates with an "if they don't screw the acquisition process up - again" - like insisting on 100%LF after the first tender notice went out. Given the customisations necessary for TTC operation (gauge, turning radius, gradient, CIS/GPS fit) even end 2010 [30 months from tender to design, construct, deliver] may be optimistic.

The existing subway and bus acquisition contracts are based on fairly recent prior orders and thus familiar with customer requirements but if someone other than Bombardier wins the streetcar order (unlikely but...) it could take a while for vendor and client to get on the same page.

Thanks for the reply..

I have a double stroller, not something I can fold easily, I can't just take out my newborn, groceries and almost 3 year-old all in my arms all at once and stand while holding on to the folded stroller in a moving vehicle that's packed with people?? Yes, very realistic with 1 child + groceries but not 2 and a double phil&teds stroller. There are accessible busses, they accomodate both strollers and wheelchairs, comfortable and roomy even in rush hour, so why should streetcars be any different.

One thing I noticed since emigrating to Canada, people do not offer seats to elders or people with kids very often, I see everyone staring then hiding their eyes behind newspapers or pretending to sleep. Another reason I bought a Phil&Ted (yes, it's larger than an umbrella) so I can bump the stroller with 2 kids in it + groceries up and down the subway stairs because many subways are not accessible and the only people that ever asked to help me with it are old frail ladies who need help themselves lol

P.S. I'm not expecting help, I prefer to be self-sufficient, hense the stroller with big wheels, the only kind you can bump up and down many flights of stairs.
As parents of twins, my wife and I quickly realized that the TTC is not the place for the necessarily large strollers. It would be impossible for us to get our Peg Perego Duet onto a streetcar, as there's no way to collapse it, nor make that sharp left turn past the driver. Thus, we take the mini-van everywhere.

junction - take those dates with an "if they don't screw the acquisition process up - again" - like insisting on 100%LF after the first tender notice went out. Given the customisations necessary for TTC operation (gauge, turning radius, gradient, CIS/GPS fit) even end 2010 [30 months from tender to design, construct, deliver] may be optimistic.

The existing subway and bus acquisition contracts are based on fairly recent prior orders and thus familiar with customer requirements but if someone other than Bombardier wins the streetcar order (unlikely but...) it could take a while for vendor and client to get on the same page.

makes sense, thanks

As parents of twins, my wife and I quickly realized that the TTC is not the place for the necessarily large strollers. It would be impossible for us to get our Peg Perego Duet onto a streetcar, as there's no way to collapse it, nor make that sharp left turn past the driver. Thus, we take the mini-van everywhere.

ya, we were looking at minivan options, decided to get a Mazda5 instead, great car for families with more than one kid and uses less fuel.
I'm trying to utilise the TTC as much as possible though and I try to walk almost everywhere. How old are your twins? Congrats BTW :)

We bought a Phil&Ted because it doesn't take more space than a single stroller, I'm able to ride the old TTC busses that are not accessible, this stroller is narrow and as long as a single, great for cities with less progressive public transit. I once was able to get on a street car but had to remove one side wheel just to get in, not that bad unless it's rush hour.

e3-up-down.jpg

http://www.macklems.com/phil-and-teds.htm

e3-one-two.jpg

e3-4-in1.jpg

I would ask the question, why shouldn't streetcars be stroller accessible? Isn't mobility the whole point of transit and transportation? There are many people with strollers on the TTC so why shouldn't they make it more accessible for them? Not everyone is able to have their own vehicle to get around, and as stated previously, not everyone can empty and collapse their stroller before boarding. Better accessibility benefits many people - wheelchairs, strollers, injured, small kids, shopping buggies, etc.

One thing the TTC could do while waiting for the new streetcars is remove the extra posts and railings at the entrance of the existing streetcars to make it easier to get in and out. I had heard they were going to do this, but haven't seen any progress. Would make boarding quicker for everyone I think. As it is, you have to contort your body to get a stroller in and out on your own. I've been lucky to have had a few very nice drivers who leap up to help board.

Streetcars are stroller accessible, but not when SUV mentality takes older and parents buy massive strollers that can't even fit through the door.

BTW, they are removing the extra post at the front door over the next year.

My mother moved me around in a baby carriage like this in the 1950's:
Baby-dark-blue-carriage-sma.jpg

But with my own kids, I used an umbrella stroller like this, in the 1980's:
jeep-umbrella-stroller-lg.jpg

which worked fine on streetcars (and buses). Even used the rear doors to exit with it.

Back