News   May 01, 2024
 676     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 418     0 

What's up with "London on the esplanade" and other

E

esplanade guy

What's up with "London on the esplanade" and other

Pet peeve #2. What's up with these developers who call their developments names like "London on the Esplanade" "The Rockafeller" Tuscany this or that, then they build characterless slabs that look more like SCARBOURGH ON THE ESPLANADE? The worst part is, that marketing ploy seems to work and that is really depressing. If your going to name your project London, Paris, New York or Timmins, at least make an attempt to have something that appears to belong in that city. I choose London on the Esplanade as the worst offender, anybody have an example better then that one? There are TONS to choose from.

Re: What's up with "London on the esplanade" and o

The worst part is, that marketing ploy seems to work...

Well, that's why they do it.

The really sad part is when these cheesy projects win awards. I had the displeasure of passing by NY Towers today and caught a glimpse of Empire, their latest farce. Ugh.

Doesn't really concern me. First of all, the name of the project doesn't really affect the architecture of the building. A project called "Bilbao" won't automatically mean it will look good architecturally, and a building called "Detroit" isn't automatically crap. Another thing is whether it would do Toronto any good architecturally if London actually looks like it's from London? It might not look very architecturally original if it's a clone of a London building. Lastly, would people really care about the name a few years after the tower's been built? I know a number of high-rise dwellers, but they don't usually refer to their buildings by name.

Difficult to be original with over 2000 residential apartment complexes in the city and as great as 18 Yorkville may sound, it doesn't really work as well for 281 Mutual (built) or 438 King West (u/c)

Hey, There are always projects like Kilgour Estates ...

Exactly. Its all about product differentiation. The only way to differentiate the half dozen 10-15 story precast, brick and glass condos going up at Bathurst or Spadina and King is to give them distinctive names. Very few have any real design relationship between the marketing name and the physical design of the building or even the layout/decor of the interior.

I do agree that the marketing is a little over the top with the names of unit floorplans being a good example...."I like the frodo, but the pippin has a large balcony"). The upside, however, is that a few years after occupancy most lose the marketing name and simply take on the address. I am pretty sure most cabbies will be confused if someone hops in their cab and states "DNA please and I am in a hurry"

Badga: DNA joke made me laugh out loud. People at work suddenly think I have a personality. Thanks very much.

Otherwise, I heard it was the "Merry" with the large, projecting balcony...

Back