News   Apr 26, 2024
 179     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 432     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.3K     4 

Whats the maximum weight a condo floor can hold?

Fresco

Member Bio
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the maximum weight an average condo floor can hold?
Reason I'm asking is I play sports and I do a lot of deadlifting. I'm worried I might crack the floor every time I put the weights down.

If you dont know what deadlifting is, here's a video:

Whoa...you're asking the wrong question. You should be asking: "How much insufferable noise can I make for my neighbour downstairs before they kick me the fug out?"

Your floor will handle a hell of a lot more than shown in that pic. That's not the point...

Not just that, but many condos ban waterbeds and other water-filled furniture, because of the weight of the water straining the floor, the amount of electricity needed to heat the waterbeds (though they don't need to be heated during the summer), and because of potential leakage.

Not just that, but many condos ban waterbeds and other water-filled furniture, because of the weight of the water straining the floor, the amount of electricity needed to heat the waterbeds (though they don't need to be heated during the summer), and because of potential leakage.
lol...I guess you missed the waterbed era. Friends had factories producing frames, and we'd install them. The threat is leaking water, not weight, which is exactly why you use a liner with them.

You'd better read this:
https://www.stlbeds.com/will-a-waterbed-crash-through-my-bedroom-floor/

Whoa...you're asking the wrong question. You should be asking: "How much insufferable noise can I make for my neighbour downstairs before they kick me the fug out?"

Your floor will handle a hell of a lot more than shown in that pic. That's not the point...
The noise isnt an issue. I use floormats that look like this:
Thug_Mat_angle_loaded_extreme_wide_480x480.jpg

How would that be possible? Unless you're just dropping the weights, like a Russian amateur.
I dont drop the weights. I set them down fairly gently.
My issue is I do reps with 700 lbs, but even setting them down gently, wont prolonged dropping of weights down like that cause small cracks in the cement floor eventually?? You have to remember its 700 lbs over a fairly small area.

Should I perhaps ask a structural engineer??
I have a feeling the property mgmt in my building wont know the answer to my question

Does anyone know what the maximum weight an average condo floor can hold?
Reason I'm asking is I play sports and I do a lot of deadlifting. I'm worried I might crack the floor every time I put the weights down.

If you dont know what deadlifting is, here's a video:

Design load is likely 50 pounds per square foot. For information, libraries are designed for 3 times that.

Lots of discussion here:
https://www.google.ca/search?q=lift...43j1j7&client=ubuntu&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I query the authenticity and sincerity of a lot of the questions. "Cement" will surely crack and crumble, even under regular foot traffic. *Concrete* if up to building code, won't. A lot of persons use the term 'cement' when meaning 'concrete'. Cement is a binder with next to no structural strength of its own.

My issue is I do reps with 700 lbs, but even setting them down gently, wont prolonged dropping of weights down like that cause small cracks in the cement floor eventually??
700 lbs. is two hefty North Americans tripping over the last cronut and hitting the ground simultaneously. That won't crack the floor.

Lots of discussion here:
https://www.google.ca/search?q=lift...43j1j7&client=ubuntu&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I query the authenticity and sincerity of a lot of the questions. "Cement" will surely crack and crumble, even under regular foot traffic. *Concrete* if up to building code, won't. A lot of persons use the term 'cement' when meaning 'concrete'. Cement is a binder with next to no structural strength of its own
You are correct, I think my floors are concrete. I live in an 8-year old condo building downtown Toronto, so its fairly new and probably well constructed. My issue is when you put down the deadlift bar you are putting down 350 lbs on each side, but its over a relatively small area since the weight plates are round and only maybe 10% of them will touch the floor, which is a lot of weight for the floor to absorb (see pic)

The-5-Most-Dangerous-Deadlift-Mistakes.jpg

My issue is when you put down the deadlift bar you are putting down 350 lbs on each side, but its over a relatively small area since the weight plates are round and only maybe 10% of them will touch the floor, which is a lot of weight for the floor to absorb
You're still missing the essential point. Transmitted/dispersed energy. Yes the floor will withstand that, even if it wouldn't for concentrated pressure areas, that can be 'buffered' or 'washed' with rigid pads layered with absorbent pads.

But even if a 700 lb person were to jump up and down on the floor above, even with a 4" concrete floor, even with soft running shoes on, a degree of deflection in the structure is not only inevitable, it stops if from fracturing.

However, that 'deflection' happens in the ceiling of the unit below, and is will be noticed. Not in a nice way.

To completely isolate that transmission, you'd need 'floating' floors (not congruent with the ceiling below) and even then, extraordinary degrees of absorption or dissipation elsewhere in the structure to move that energy in a way as to not share it with other units.

There's no easy way around this. Absolutely, your floor will handle the weight, it's steel girder construction. The question is *imposition on others* doing it.

It's all addressed in the links at the url I posted.

Back