News   May 01, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   May 01, 2024
 375     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 369     0 

What's are some the best small venue theatres in Toronto?

TorontoArtsGirl

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hi, I've been the to Terragon and I am doing research on small venue theatre companies. I was wondering what other people think are some of the best and why? Thanks for sharing. I saw Forests last night and it was great but I feel like I need more to go on.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'small'. If you mean in contrast to some of the main commercial theatres like the Princess of Wales or the Canon for example then I would check out the Panasonic on Yonge Street or even the Young Centre in the Distillery. Also, the Jane Mallet theatre at the St. Lawrence Centre seats around 500 and the Betty Oliphant theatre at the National Ballet School seats about 300. There are also venues like the Berkley Street theatre (two smallish houses), the Factory (two small spaces as well) and several others. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. I haven't heard of the Berkely Street theatre. Yes, I mean small scale theatres that seat less less than 300. Affordability is also an issue. Not everyone can drop approx 50 dollars to have a good quality theatre experience. Just curious as to what are people's favourite places are and why?

Hart House Theatre at U of T is one of my favourites in the city. It has good sightlines throught. Also, some of the U of T productions can be very good, and they are inexpensive.

Back