News   Apr 26, 2024
 124     1 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 149     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 581     0 

What is Toronto's most politically progressive neighborhood?

Progressive in what sense? Just because they vote NDP as a block does not make them progressive. The islands are a unique place with the residents living there but the infrastructure on the island needs major investment. From erosion to maintaining the boardwalks and the garbage collecting along the shore.

Progressive in what sense? Just because they vote NDP as a block does not make them progressive. The islands are a unique place with the residents living there but the infrastructure on the island needs major investment. From erosion to maintaining the boardwalks and the garbage collecting along the shore.

Support for progressive political candidates and parties is the best measure we have. The ranking can of course fluctuate over time and at the federal, provincial and municipal levels.

The NDP has shifted right recently but I'm guessing few NDP voters in Toronto are "populists" of the Andrea Horwath mould. Cheri DiNovo and Peter Tabuns held their seats based on traditional voting patterns and their personal popularity not out of approval of the ONDP leadership. Similarly I suspect Andrew Cash, Peggy Nash and Craig Scott - the three MPs who lost but got 40%+ of the vote - did as well as they did for the same reasons and not out of any love of Tom Mulcair.

Jack Layton would have been the last NDP leader federally or provincially to be genuinely popular in Toronto.

My prediction is that the downtown wards etc. will become more and more Liberal to the point where the NDP will no longer be elected here. Policy direction can change but I feel that every resident leaving the ward with the exception of some students (through moving or death) is basically being replaced by a non-NDP voter.

The old riding of Trinity-Spadina has been split into Spadina-Fort York and University-Rosedale ridings, neither where the NDP did well in the last federal election. Rosario Marchese also lost there by a huge margin.

The NDP is strongest in the west end (P-HP and Davenport) and inner east end (Danforth) now.

Last edited:
On the other hand, Olivia Chow won west end wards 14, 18 and 19. She was basically tied with Tory in ward 20 (winning the Annex and Kensington, losing condoland) and did respectably in ward 30 (Riverdale).

I have trouble disecting the word progressive these days.

Does it mean more 'leftist' and more likely to vote NDP? Or does it mean to be more socially liberal? (I don't equate these things together anymore, unfortunately)

I would say Church and Welleseley area is the most socially liberal in Toronto. While any number of cozy downtown neighbourhoods like Riverdale, Leslieville, Parkdale, Trinity-Bellwoods, Annex can fit the other definition of being more 'left-leaning'.

If Toronto got to vote in the Democratic primary, where would Bernie Sanders have done best? I'm thinking his best areas would be similar to those where Olivia Chow did well.

I have trouble disecting the word progressive these days.

Does it mean more 'leftist' and more likely to vote NDP? Or does it mean to be more socially liberal? (I don't equate these things together anymore, unfortunately)

I would say Church and Welleseley area is the most socially liberal in Toronto. While any number of cozy downtown neighbourhoods like Riverdale, Leslieville, Parkdale, Trinity-Bellwoods, Annex can fit the other definition of being more 'left-leaning'.

There are almost certainly neighborhoods that are more economically left-wing than Church-Wellesley. All those other neighborhoods are very socially liberal as well.

There are very few "socially conservative leftists" or "populists" in the core of Toronto.

York South-Weston is an example of a riding that's more socially conservative and economically leftwing.

The Kensington area certainly has the longest history of left-wing politics, going back to the 30s and 40s (electing J.B. Salsberg to city council and the legislature; Emma Goldman also lived there). In the 60s it was a haven for draft dodgers, in the 80s and 90s anti-fascist/anti-racist punk movement was based in the area.

I'm not sure if you can truly judge by Ward/Riding. My city councillor is Kristyn Wong-Tam but I don't think she'd win if my ward only comprised of my block. My parents certainly aren't all that socially progressive and they tend to vote Conservative.

I'm not sure if you can truly judge by Ward/Riding. My city councillor is Kristyn Wong-Tam but I don't think she'd win if my ward only comprised of my block. My parents certainly aren't all that socially progressive and they tend to vote Conservative.

Especially not in that ward where north and south of Bloor are dramatically different.

Back