News   Jul 24, 2024
 178     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 698     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 718     1 

What if Toronto was forced to build subways?

Spadina is under construction so that's not an issue. As for TC I would cancel the whole damn thing except Waterfront/Miminco.
Finish Sheppard from Spadina to STC, Eglinton from Pearson to Kingston {not Kennedy}, build a huge "U" shape DRL using Queen and the rail ROW NW to Humber College and NE to Malvern.
I would only take Bloor to STC if they elevate/atgrade. All lines should be elevated/atgrade for any section outside the original ciity of Toronto boundaries.
Ideally the Padina should interline between Sheppard and Finch over to atleast Jane making a true east/west northern corridor avoiding the transfers.

It used to be McDonald's ... but it's changed now ... can't remember who.

The Zoo got rid of the Micky D's? Damn! I had my first Cheeseburger at that McDonald's :( With a pity.

If we had to expand subways because, like you know there is no mode between buses, and subways that could handle intermediate capacity, I would run a line from Union, south to Centre Island(We need a major growth node there!), curve southeast towards Tommy Thompson Park(Another potential growth node!), up Leslie Street, curve east on Queen St, and terminate a Nevill Park. Because it is all about speed, and nothing else, there will be only stations at Union, Centrevile, Tommy Thompson Park, at the Canadian Tire on Lakehsore(big trip generator!), and at Neville Park. A paralell hippo-bus service would be run to serve destination between stations. This is what passengers want: speed, and the desire to ride hipppos.

Last edited:
I'm going to write a letter to Hazel McCallion about proposing a subway extension to Confederation Pkwy. For one in serious need to get hot fresh sandwiches at home and on the go.

Finish the Sheppard line, extending it from Don Mills to the Zoo to the east and to the Spadina line in the west.

The Eglinton Crosstown would start at Steeles, follow the 427 to the airport, continuing east to Kingston, and then Morningside, continuing to Oassis, and end at Steeles E.

Queen is also very important, and the old plans (with some tweaking) should be revived; Victoria Park to Kipling, with the ends turning up to the Danforth-Bloor line.

The Bloor-Danforth line should be extended to Mill Rd. in the west and with the Scarborough RT (now a subway) along the new proposed extended route and ending at Sheppard.

--

This is pretty well all in Toronto, extensions into the areas around Toronto like Brampton would be of course be icing on the cake.

Last edited:
I want to see Sheppard West built, as a priority. Am I the only one?

I'd love to see this done too. I hate how our subway map looks like a dying tree, should look more like a web, i.e. a real network graph. Sheppard west would distribute passengers better taking load off the Yonge line, plus give access to the wilson rail yard. So yeah, would love to see sheppard finished before we start any other east-west line, even have it go all the way to the airport via Woodbine Live, and rexdale.

The other line I would love to see is the DRL, particularly east DRL, aligned along Don Mills going north all the way to Fairview Mall, and making Fairview a transit hub. Have stops at Science Centre, Shops at Don Mills, etc. It's towers in the park-y, but its nodal, and has decent trip generators, IMO.

Back