News   Jun 28, 2024
 2.2K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 572     1 

What happened to the SkyDome lawn?

Downtown has lots of green space, but the CBD does not have much. It's easy to forget how much green space there is when you're in the gloom of winter.

As for that photo, did Scotia Plaza not exist when Skydome was built? The photo says 1989, and Scotia Plaza was completed in 1988, no?

Last edited:
I lived downtown up until xmas last yr... I totally disagee that Downtwon is VERY GREEN with Thousands of TREES... The trees downtown are often found on the sidealks with not enough room to grow and often die. There are a few parks downtwon but they too often need new grass to be laid down because their so rare their used often by anyone who knows about them. Didnt city council recognize this was a problem and was or is currently trying to rectify the problem by planting new trees downtown. Isnt this also part of the reason queens quay is being redeveloped... I dont know what else to say but I disagree so much with the idea that toronto has plenty of green space downtown.

Montreal has been putting in mature trees in their downtown, Looks great

I saw this post card which brought out vague childhood memories of spending time on a lawn in front of the SkyDome.

POSTCARD%2B-%2BTORONTO%2B-%2BSKYDOME%2B-%2BCANADIAN%2BPOSTCARD%2BEXPOSITION%2B-%2BAERIAL%2B-%2B1989.jpg

One of these lawns is now Harbour View Estates @ CityPlace and the other two are parking lots. Does anybody remember when this happened?

Let's discuss these spots. Should anything be allowed to be built in front of the stadium? Should the city buy the lots and convert them back into green space leading to the waterfront?

There are plans:

A new 150,000-square foot aquarium could be coming to the foot of the CN Tower: Canada Lands Company is partnering with Ripley’s Entertainment to build a 150,000-square-foot facility. If approved, the aquarium is going to be a major new tourist attraction to come. Along with the aquarium is a planned 47,000-square-foot retail and restaurant complex, a destination hot-spot for Torontonians and tourists.

There have also been discussions to make it a sporty destination with basketball courts skate park etc. I cant find the article it was in the star

There are plans:

There have also been discussions to make it a sporty destination with basketball courts skate park etc. I cant find the article it was in the star

Many teams are building stadiums with mini baseball diamonds/football/soccer fields just outside. A place where people can meet start a quick game before the real game, etc. I don't think there's much room around the Dome for that though...

There are plans:

The Aquarium location is north of Bremner, not on those lots.

I'd love to see a grand lawn extend from the SkyDome/CN Tower down to the waterfront. Despite being so close to the water, the CN Tower and SkyDome appear to be completely disconnected because of the Gardiner.

Go outside of the downtown core if you want to see trees and parks. There are hardly any trees lining the streets downtown. And the parks are rundown and small.
Rubbish. I live in Cabbagetown, and every street is lined with big oaks and maples, and within a short walk of my house I've got Riverdale Park(s), Alan Gardens and Riverdale Farm, not to mention the Don Valley which is filled with trees.

Rubbish. I live in Cabbagetown, and every street is lined with big oaks and maples, and within a short walk of my house I've got Riverdale Park(s), Alan Gardens and Riverdale Farm, not to mention the Don Valley which is filled with trees.

That's not really downtown. I'm referring to the major streets.

That's not really downtown. I'm referring to the major streets.

Oh OK, I see - because you originally stated:

I doubt the city will build anything infront of the Dome. I hope not at least. They should definitely bring back these lawns. Toronto probably has more green space than any other city in the world yet it's almost completely absent downtown.

I believe it's generally accepted that west of the Don Valley Parkway to Spadina and Bloor south to the lake is downtown so that would include Cabbagetown, although some consider the downtown area to be a little fuzzy as to where the true boundaries are.

Wow I didn't think there was any doubt that Toronto is sorely missing a nice park in the downtown area. The parks that are there are pathetically small and poorly maintained and designed compared to other cities urban parks (eg majors hill park in ottawa). In order to get to decent greenspace you have to take transit from the downtown, which defeats the purpose of green space imo. You want to be able to walk there and just escape for a few hours. High park is just too far away.

Wow I didn't think there was any doubt that Toronto is sorely missing a nice park in the downtown area. The parks that are there are pathetically small and poorly maintained and designed compared to other cities urban parks (eg majors hill park in ottawa). In order to get to decent greenspace you have to take transit from the downtown, which defeats the purpose of green space imo. You want to be able to walk there and just escape for a few hours. High park is just too far away.

Downtown parks are pathetically small and poorly maintained? Take a look here

the parks are poorly maintained in Toronto which is a really shame. Perhaps the new Mayor will provide some leadership in this area, I know of some BIA's that offered to maintain parks, but the city won't allow them. They have told me they wanted nothing in return for maintaining the park and that the Mayor likes the idea... his office just doesn't do anything.

On the plus part...Lake Ontario Park promises to be the biggest urban park in the world

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/dyna...1b08&second=4637868526923&third=443992f1416de

As for that photo, did Scotia Plaza not exist when Skydome was built? The photo says 1989, and Scotia Plaza was completed in 1988, no?

well as others have stated, it's more of a render than a photo. It was likely done when the SkyDome was in the planning stages using a photo taken before Scotia was part of the skyline. Amazing how far the city has come since then...

the parks are poorly maintained in Toronto which is a really shame. Perhaps the new Mayor will provide some leadership in this area, I know of some BIA's that offered to maintain parks, but the city won't allow them. They have told me they wanted nothing in return for maintaining the park and that the Mayor likes the idea... his office just doesn't do anything.

On the plus part...Lake Ontario Park promises to be the biggest urban park in the world

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/dyna...1b08&second=4637868526923&third=443992f1416de

We also need to hire people to clean up litter in the parks and streets in general. I've never understood why people think Toronto is a clean city.

Back