News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 572     1 

What happened to the SkyDome lawn?

MetroMan

Member Bio
Reaction score
I saw this post card which brought out vague childhood memories of spending time on a lawn in front of the SkyDome.

POSTCARD%2B-%2BTORONTO%2B-%2BSKYDOME%2B-%2BCANADIAN%2BPOSTCARD%2BEXPOSITION%2B-%2BAERIAL%2B-%2B1989.jpg

One of these lawns is now Harbour View Estates @ CityPlace and the other two are parking lots. Does anybody remember when this happened?

Let's discuss these spots. Should anything be allowed to be built in front of the stadium? Should the city buy the lots and convert them back into green space leading to the waterfront?

Last edited:
I doubt the city will build anything infront of the Dome. I hope not at least. They should definitely bring back these lawns. Toronto probably has more green space than any other city in the world yet it's almost completely absent downtown.

Aren't those parking lots flexible as public space? They're not just asphalt parking lots, if I remember correctly, they are higher quality than that. During the Grey Cup in 2007 they had some parties there...

I'm pretty sure HVE sits on what used to be the bus parking lot. When HVE went up they had to move the bus parking to where the park was (2003? 2004?). I'm not sure, but I have a strong recollection of following the HVE construction updates on UT, and I remember the response being generally positive to the streetscaping and public art being used in the new bus lot

I doubt the city will build anything infront of the Dome. I hope not at least. They should definitely bring back these lawns. Toronto probably has more green space than any other city in the world yet it's almost completely absent downtown.

What?! Downtown is very green with thousands of trees, public garden spaces and dozens of parks and parkettes scattered all over the place.

I lived downtown up until xmas last yr... I totally disagee that Downtwon is VERY GREEN with Thousands of TREES... The trees downtown are often found on the sidealks with not enough room to grow and often die. There are a few parks downtwon but they too often need new grass to be laid down because their so rare their used often by anyone who knows about them. Didnt city council recognize this was a problem and was or is currently trying to rectify the problem by planting new trees downtown. Isnt this also part of the reason queens quay is being redeveloped... I dont know what else to say but I disagree so much with the idea that toronto has plenty of green space downtown.

I saw this post card which brought out vague childhood memories of spending time on a lawn in front of the SkyDome.

POSTCARD%2B-%2BTORONTO%2B-%2BSKYDOME%2B-%2BCANADIAN%2BPOSTCARD%2BEXPOSITION%2B-%2BAERIAL%2B-%2B1989.jpg

One of these lawns is now Harbour View Estates @ CityPlace and the other two are parking lots. Does anybody remember when this happened?

Let's discuss these spots. Should anything be allowed to be built in front of the stadium? Should the city buy the lots and convert them back into green space leading to the waterfront?

The bus parking lot (far left) became Harbour View estates, as did the far left lawn (to the right of the bus parking) I believe (That's where the St. Louis bar is IIRC). The middle lawn is now the bus parking lot/parking access to the building. Interesting to look at that photo and imagine the scene today.

What?! Downtown is very green with thousands of trees, public garden spaces and dozens of parks and parkettes scattered all over the place.

Are you kidding? Go outside of the downtown core if you want to see trees and parks. There are hardly any trees lining the streets downtown. And the parks are rundown and small.

I lived downtown up until xmas last yr... I totally disagee that Downtwon is VERY GREEN with Thousands of TREES... The trees downtown are often found on the sidealks with not enough room to grow and often die. There are a few parks downtwon but they too often need new grass to be laid down because their so rare their used often by anyone who knows about them. Didnt city council recognize this was a problem and was or is currently trying to rectify the problem by planting new trees downtown. Isnt this also part of the reason queens quay is being redeveloped... I dont know what else to say but I disagree so much with the idea that toronto has plenty of green space downtown.

Are you kidding? Go outside of the downtown core if you want to see trees and parks. There are hardly any trees lining the streets downtown. And the parks are rundown and small.

I know there are plenty of trees and parks out of the downtown area, sheesh! As for "green space" there are plenty of public and private green spaces downtown. More trees and green spaces are always welcome, and the City has done a great job of continually improving in this area in the past 20 or so years.

I quickly grabbed a few photos of our treeless downtown which has thousands upon thousands of trees of all shapes, age and sizes.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Charles Street looking east toward Jarvis ("X" condo)

Isabella Street looking west toward Yonge ("Casa" condo)

Spadina & College, facing south-east and south-west

Church Street, in the heart of the Village north of Carlton and south of Wellesley
]

Jarvis & Wellesley (mid-May, before the leaves fully bloomed)

Finally, check out the downtown parks thread. Last summer I photographed a couple dozen parks, show me where sod needs to be laid and where the parks are rundown. Some of these sets were taken during the strike and the parks still looked fine.
Oh, and look at all the trees!

I dont ever think there was lawns in front of the Sky Dome, just a gravel lot. If you notice, the postcard is an artists drawing(model), not real life.

And there are tonnes of trees and green spaces downtown, even if you dont include the massive green space occupied by U of T. Just because Toronto does not have a Central park or a Hyde park right beside Yonge St, doesnt mean we dont have great spaces in the core.

everytime I visit nYC and visit central park I wish PORTER was at downsview and that the island had a pedetrian bridge to it.. Downsview would still be accessable by public transit quickly from the core. Ive never taken porter but it must take some time to board a bus and then a ferry and then check in... Subway ride to downsview 25mins...

everytime I visit nYC and visit central park I wish PORTER was at downsview and that the island had a pedetrian bridge to it.. Downsview would still be accessable by public transit quickly from the core. Ive never taken porter but it must take some time to board a bus and then a ferry and then check in... Subway ride to downsview 25mins...

Subway ride from wall street to central park = 20-25 minutes too. What exactly is your point? If it is that neither Downtown Toronto or Downtown Manhattan have massive parklands, then I agree. If not, then I don't.

Moss Park, U of T, Ryerson quad, Allen Gardens, Queen's Park, St. James Park, Alexandria Park, Grange Park, David Crombie, Parliament Square, Clarence Square, Harbour Square, not to mention countless little parkettes and squares, plus urban style parks like Yorkville Park and the new park going going in at City Place. You could even count Coronation park, trinity bellwoods and Fort York if you wanted to extend your definition of downtown to a larger area. And most of the islands, save for the airport, are almost entirely green.
Of all the reasons to shit on Toronto, and you had to pick one of the areas in which Toronto excels. Green space. If downtown was one giant expanse of green space then it wouldn't be the downtown core of Canada's largest city now would it?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I really get the feeling that that photo is heavily airbrushed. All the perfectly round trees, the John St. Pumping Station all in white (I don't think it ever looked like that.. it's missing its LOPO latticework), the thick forest which apparently exists east of the CN Tower which would have been either rail yards or gravel fields at that time.

This photo from 1992 does show a lawn out front, which became the bus parking lot, but the other lawn is just gravel.
skydome1.jpg

So I'm guessing that there was one lawn (the smaller one) at one time in the past, while the larger one was just airbrushed in to make a nice photo.

More old photos here.

You guys are exaggerating. Sure there are a few little parks downtown but they are small, generally landscaped poorly and have patchy grass. Parks are basically the only place downtown that you will find any greenery. There are very few trees that line the sidewalks.

You guys are exaggerating. Sure there are a few little parks downtown but they are small, generally landscaped poorly and have patchy grass. Parks are basically the only place downtown that you will find any greenery. There are very few trees that line the sidewalks.

You clearly don't know what your talking about or you need glasses. Thick one's.

444205679_06c9605874.jpg

Back