News   Mar 28, 2024
 20     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 203     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 2.1K     1 

What explains this geographic trend of a high percentage of young adults living with parents in Southern Ontario?

I'd also add that "staying at home" during my mid-20's years has helped boost my vacation budget. So I was able to accomplish a fair bit of travelling to places on my bucket list during those years. That along with saving up to afford my own place after would be the major prevailing benefits IMO.

Last edited:
Leaving for university and planning to come back doesn’t always work. I recall sitting in the residence TV room in first year and a floor mate telling me his parents sold their house and bought a one bedroom plus den condo, on the assumption that their now adult son would be finding his own place. Now that’s some tough living.

There was an article this week stating that less than 10% of all Canadians would be able to afford to buy property in the Toronto area. That sums up this trend rather well.

I don't know that there is an actual social movement, it may be that the parents just have nice places to live and the kids enjoy it. I think it is nice to be able to live with your family comfortably, at any age. What bothers me is the drive to start married life with a house, couples now seem to think they should have the wedding, pre-wedding, expensive honeymoon and a fully furnished property to come home to. Never mind tax cuts what about consumer debt? I am just waiting to see which party leader offers to pay off voter's credit card balance in exchange for votes. Consumer debt is worse than child care costs or gas prices but it doesn't make the headlines.

I don't know that there is an actual social movement, it may be that the parents just have nice places to live and the kids enjoy it. I think it is nice to be able to live with your family comfortably, at any age. What bothers me is the drive to start married life with a house, couples now seem to think they should have the wedding, pre-wedding, expensive honeymoon and a fully furnished property to come home to. Never mind tax cuts what about consumer debt? I am just waiting to see which party leader offers to pay off voter's credit card balance in exchange for votes. Consumer debt is worse than child care costs or gas prices but it doesn't make the headlines.

I'd also add that "staying at home" during my mid-20's years has helped boost my vacation budget. So I was able to accomplish a fair bit of travelling to places on my bucket list during those years. That along with saving up to afford my own place after would be the major prevailing benefits IMO.
This is a very good point. I traveled often in my 20s and there's no way I could have done it if I was paying rent. If people in their 20s need to choose between enjoying their lives and paying rent, they'll probably stay home longer.

Leaving for university and planning to come back doesn’t always work. I recall sitting in the residence TV room in first year and a floor mate telling me his parents sold their house and bought a one bedroom plus den condo, on the assumption that their now adult son would be finding his own place. Now that’s some tough living.
Same thing happened to a friend of mine in university, except that his mother sold their house and moved to Europe. That complicated things a bit...

This is a very good point. I traveled often in my 20s and there's no way I could have done it if I was paying rent. If people in their 20s need to choose between enjoying their lives and paying rent, they'll probably stay home longer.
Sounds very selfish. Man-childs mooching off their parents so they can travel. If I was your parent I’d be charging your 20s behind rent to cover MY vacation expenses.

Your 20s are not for enjoying your lives, they’re for working your ass off to establish yourself so that you can enjoy your later lives. Putting off today for tomorrow seems to be an alien concept to millennials.

Sounds very selfish. Man-childs mooching off their parents so they can travel. If I was your parent I’d be charging your 20s behind rent to cover MY vacation expenses.

Your 20s are not for enjoying your lives, they’re for working your ass off to establish yourself so that you can enjoy your later lives. Putting off today for tomorrow seems to be an alien concept to millennials.
lol 20s are not for enjoying yourself? That's absurd and also kind of sad. My parents wanted me to live at home while I was in university and they didn't want rent for it. As for your assumption that I somehow didn't work hard or set myself up because i traveled: I paid my own way through university, worked multiple jobs, and saved enough for a down payment so that I only rented for a couple of years before buying my first home. Fun and success aren't mutually exclusive.

lol 20s are not for enjoying yourself?
Not at the expense of others, including your parents. I had tons of fun in my 20s, traveled, partied, etc. But first I graduated university, got a job and moved out of my parents‘ place.

And there’s more to life than fun, such as satisfaction, and the pleasant sense of accomplishment when reaching life’s milestones. In my 20s I graduated university, got a job in a field I enjoy, got married, bought a home, etc. You may look at all the fun I gave up to accomplish this as sad, but when I look back on my 20s I can say I’m satisfied and pleased with how I did, setting the foundations for the life I continue to enjoy today in my 40s. Sure in my 20s I had fun too, but I can’t imagine mooching off my parents once I was finished my education and working full time.

IMO, your parents' role is to get you educated, employed and out. Don't be a KIPPER.

Last edited:
Not at the expense of others, including your parents. I had tons of fun in my 20s, traveled, partied, etc. But first I graduated university, got a job and moved out of my parents‘ place.

And there’s more to life than fun, such as satisfaction, and the pleasant sense of accomplishment when reaching life’s milestones. In my 20s I graduated university, got a job in a field I enjoy, got married, bought a home, etc. You may look at all the fun I gave up to accomplish this as sad, but when I look back on my 20s I can say I’m satisfied and pleased with how I did, setting the foundations for the life I continue to enjoy today in my 40s. Sure in my 20s I had fun too, but I can’t imagine mooching off my parents once I was finished my education and working full time.

IMO, your parents' role is to get you educated, employed and out. Don't be a KIPPER.
I appreciate your take on it, but nothing I did was at my parents expense. As I said, they wanted me to stay because it was in my best interests financially, and they in no way needed money from me to travel. Also, I think you're discounting the differences between when you were 20 and what people face today; that house you bought all those years ago will likely have tripled in value, probably more, and most people in their 20s now could never afford it. Between housing prices and financing, it's incredibly difficult for my generation to purchase homes in Toronto, and if you're paying the kind of rent that's expected of you now, saving 100k for a down payment will take decades. It sucked living at home for an extra couple years after university, but it was the best decision I've ever made, and my parents benefit because I'm staying in the province instead of going east or west like so many people I know.

We have a culture of home ownership, and the younger generation doesn't want to be paying investors who own 5 houses rent until they're 40, only to be able to buy a tiny condo after all that time. They want to buy something for themselves like previous generations did.

Pffft, I did both....enjoyed the life right out of myself AND worked like a dog.
It's called balance.

Back