313     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 410     0 

What can a developer do/change legally?

MattR

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hey,

I was wondering what a developer is allowed to do and or change in terms of features and upgrades within a unit and if there is any legal rights we as a purchaser have..

For example, if they, the developer, included an upgrade package for your unit as an incentive to buy but then further down the road decided to no longer offer something from that as an option.. More specifically offering you a choice of upgraded quartz counters over the standard granite and then completely removing that option from selection.. If its in your contract are they not required to offer it or replace it with something?

Also, what if something they included in your contract as part of an "upgrade package" which is not actually an upgrade but just something you pick from their standard samples? Is that considered misrepresentation or are they allowed to do that?

I'm thinking I should speak to a lawyer about all this... Just looking for some advice and maybe someone can recommend a good Toronto lawyer I could contact to review all this...

Thanks
Matt

good luck MattR.

the bait and switch happens quite abit b/c the wording of the contract is vague enough with loopholes for the builder to get out of things.

also, purchasers don't have the official list of 'standard' finishes b/c the builder themselves will say it hasn't been chosen since it's so far in advance.

What if they're already half way through design appointments and a month ago there were like 8 samples to choose from...

seek legal advise asap

Matt, did you get independent legal advise before signing the contract? even if not, seek a real-estate lawyer and ask them to review your contract, then give you recomendations on how to proceed.

Back