News   Apr 25, 2024
 246     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 793     2 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 809     0 

What are Toronto's most notable teardown/monster home areas?

Willowdale was definitely the first neighbourhood to come to mind. I think a major reason why Willowdale's monster homes look particularly pronounced next to their modest two-bedroom bungalow neighbours comes down to the size of the lots which allows for large properties. As a kid I had a friend who lived in a small bungalow on Parkview Ave. off Willowdale and the backyard, and the neighbouring yards, felt like the size of football fields.

I think East York also has a disproportionate number of tear downs, especially north of Mortimer. The homes tend to be more modest in size due to the smaller lot sizes but there are side streets like Linsmore Ave. and Derwyn Rd. where you can only find a handful of the original post-war bungalows remaining.

Quite a lot of this happening in midtown too, however I hope midtown keeps its English cottage/tutor revival style with half timbering.

Some of the new houses look pretty good, say if it's stone on the outside, but some look pretty bad (stucco ones). Generally I do prefer the original brick houses though.

A Tudor style house is actually using stucco. That's the stuff between the "timbers".

tudor-style-house.jpg

Attachments

• DSC03467.JPG
    DSC03467.JPG
    352.3 KB · Views: 569
For the most part, I like rebuilt luxury homes but the ones which have a stone front exterior but stucco on the sides and rear simply look perfunctory. I love the look of stone, but I would insist that the stone treatment goes all around the house (or at least on the sides). I've also seen some really great newly-built Georgian style homes, which I don't see often enough. Too often, you get the stucco rebuilds which if aren't done well, or don't have the right accents or design details, simply look cut-rate.

I agree, the side-stucco thing is bad.

A Tudor style house is actually using stucco. That's the stuff between the "timbers".

OK, I guess I meant beige coloured stucco houses where it's all beige stucco with a few classical details thrown on. I like the style that you posted, which is very common in midtown.

That terrible cheapening that is masonry front-stucco sides and back carries over to their roofs as well. Usually a cedar or slate (or plastic slate) front with asphalt shingle sides...or a textured shingle front with flat shingle sides. This is usually done with a steep slope for the front to show off the more expensive material used there and a lower slope on the sides. Not only does it all look like these people are trying too hard to impress without the means to do so, it also looks like they have horrid taste.
Or, more expensive and higher quality metal fronts (ie, copper bay, zinc panelling) with cheaper and lower quality metals on sides (ie, aluminium trough, pre-painted metal dormer cladding).
I regularly work on projects where I'm convinced the architects like using as many different materials in a single project as possible. Poor form, if you ask me.

Surprised no one brought up East York and the Woodbine Gardens area. Lots of teardowns and major rebuilds. Some pretty nice ones too.

Makes sense. Here's a map of income changes (taxfiler data data not the problematic NHS) at the census tract level since 1970:

http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...p-continues-to-widen-finds-u-of-t-expert.html

I'm thinking tracts 276-278 (Bathurst/Lawrence) and 306.02 (Sheppard/Willowdale) - all of which are wealthier than the city average and were initially made up of bungalows.

I think this might be based off tax filer data?
http://globalnews.ca/news/693916/income-mapped-torontos-wealth-is-shifting-westward/

The numbers are different from the NHS ones.

On the global news map, the biggest 2006-2011 increases are mostly in the neighbourhoods that are seeing little tear-downs and relatively moderate amounts of infill like Roncesvalles and Leslieville.

However, among neighbourhoods in the "bungalow belt", you have central Etobicoke, Birch Cliff, south Etobicoke but also the Glen Park/Maple Leaf/Rustic/Amesbury area.

Looks like maybe the original gentrified areas are gentrified to the max and that's spreading to previously more working class areas including East York. I wonder if we're going to see gentrification happen in York around the Rogers/Eglinton corridor. Up until now it's been staying fairly working class.

For the most part, I like rebuilt luxury homes but the ones which have a stone front exterior but stucco on the sides and rear simply look perfunctory. I love the look of stone, but I would insist that the stone treatment goes all around the house (or at least on the sides). I've also seen some really great newly-built Georgian style homes, which I don't see often enough. Too often, you get the stucco rebuilds which if aren't done well, or don't have the right accents or design details, simply look cut-rate.
SE Oakville is generally not too bad for that.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.4608...ata=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sY2mzgBd07SfSmmRrWc4qoQ!2e0

It's not always the same material everywhere but generally there aren't too many weird transitions.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.4627...ata=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s39jzTGQqRUsHgpk-_99Vbg!2e0

http://globalnews.ca/news/693916/income-mapped-torontos-wealth-is-shifting-westward/

On the global news map, the biggest 2006-2011 increases are mostly in the neighbourhoods that are seeing little tear-downs and relatively moderate amounts of infill like Roncesvalles and Leslieville.

However, among neighbourhoods in the "bungalow belt", you have central Etobicoke, Birch Cliff, south Etobicoke but also the Glen Park/Maple Leaf/Rustic/Amesbury area.

Looks like maybe the original gentrified areas are gentrified to the max and that's spreading to previously more working class areas including East York. I wonder if we're going to see gentrification happen in York around the Rogers/Eglinton corridor. Up until now it's been staying fairly working class.

That would be something else, Rogers/Eglinton. It sure needs it

Yes it's taxfiler data. NHS is very problematic for income at the CT level.

Right, these are gentrifying neighborhoods with "character" and housing stock that gentrifiers find attractive. Plus, it's pretty hard to tear down a Victorian rowhouse and replace it with a McMansion.

Not sure what you mean by "original gentrified areas."

Yes it's taxfiler data. NHS is very problematic for income at the CT level.

Right, these are gentrifying neighborhoods with "character" and housing stock that gentrifiers find attractive. Plus, it's pretty hard to tear down a Victorian rowhouse and replace it with a McMansion.

Not sure what you mean by "original gentrified areas."

By original gentrified areas I mean the ones that have been gentrified for a while now (or always were). The Beaches, North Toronto, Leaside, Kingsway, High Park/Bloor West Village/Swansea area, Riverdale (sort of), Cabbagetown...

The more recently gentrifying areas would be Leslieville, Danforth/East York, Trinity Bellwoods, Beaconsfield Village, Parkdale, Corso Italia... some of these are still far from fully gentrified of course.

And although Victorian areas are probably the ones gentrifying most, non-Victoria areas that are still fairly centrally located seem to be experiencing gentrification too. The areas of the East side that are gentrifying fastest often have lots of 1920s style housing. Many of them are near the parts of Danforth Avenue that are more like Eglinton West than Queen West... Mimico is similar, and the Thompson Orchard/Norseman Heights/Queensway area is even less historic or urban.

Last edited:
SE Oakville is generally not too bad for that.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.4608...ata=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sY2mzgBd07SfSmmRrWc4qoQ!2e0

It's not always the same material everywhere but generally there aren't too many weird transitions.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.4627...ata=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s39jzTGQqRUsHgpk-_99Vbg!2e0

I think the number of teardowns in the 905 would surprise many 416ers. The pre-70s areas of Thornhill, Unionville and Markham are seeing rebuilds (and in the case of heritage homes, major additions) all over the place. These infill McMansions are a huge reason why the price gap between detached homes and everything else is getting wider every year.

I think the number of teardowns in the 905 would surprise many 416ers. The pre-70s areas of Thornhill, Unionville and Markham are seeing rebuilds (and in the case of heritage homes, major additions) all over the place. These infill McMansions are a huge reason why the price gap between detached homes and everything else is getting wider every year.

Beautiful looking street except no sidewalks. I hate street without sidewalks. When we were buying our house, the one stipulation was the street needed sidewalks which he thought strange

Back