News   Jul 15, 2024
 219     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

What are time based fares? How will they help?

The "living on a fare boundary" problem is easily solved by having the same price within one zone and any neighbouring zones (i.e. travel from zone 3 to zone 2, 3 and 4 is a single-zone fare, and increases for zones 1, 5 and further). A similar approach is taken by YRT where they added an overlap area between zones 1 and 2 that allows travel to either zone 1 OR 2 on a single-zone fare, but crossing it requires a 2-zone fare. Essentially it's the same method with a different way of naming zones.

If we are in a rush somewhere downtown and need a short ride for 2 or more people, we always take a cab, it's cheaper.

The "living on a fare boundary" problem is easily solved by having the same price within one zone and any neighbouring zones (i.e. travel from zone 3 to zone 2, 3 and 4 is a single-zone fare, and increases for zones 1, 5 and further).

Yeah, that's what I said in my second post. Zone fare should not isolate communities.

Zone fare is a non-starter for the TTC though. It's not a regional system. YRT covers a huge distance, so I can understand. But TTC is not like that.

And TTC isn't even willing to implement something as simple as a time-based transfer, which the whole 905 already has, and already we are discussing TTC zone fares? One step at a time, man.

I think time-based transfers are the way to go. But I am thinking more of how they do it with St. Clair. It's time based going one direction or transferring from a east/west line to go to a north/south line once or vise-versa.

One big benefit of time-based transfers is the ability to stop by a store or shop or food place, get a coffee/lunch whatever and continue on your trip.

Making round trips with one fare is probably a no-go in TTC mind and too much loss of revenue. But having the ability to jump off and on and continue on your trip in one direction is a huge benefit and will encourage more people to take the TTC especially the street car which would be awesome for that.

Back