News   Aug 09, 2024
 250     0 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 408     0 
News   Aug 08, 2024
 864     0 

What are some ideas or innovations that Toronto became the trendsetter for, and other cities copied?

What examples of features, ideas or projects (be they infrastructure, architectural, artistic, or other cultural) can someone point to and say that it was our city that first set a trend that spread to other cities later?

I don't think the OP was asking about Toronto inventions or scientific discoveries...

I don't think the OP was asking about Toronto inventions or scientific discoveries...

I was thinking of city-related things at the start, though the scientific discoveries and inventions that were made in Toronto were also interesting to read about.

Integrated subway/bus/streetcar stations. In the 70's, the TTC was considered very advanced in this respect.

What about EP Taylor's planned subdivisions at Don Mills Road from the 1950s (or maybe 1960s, I can't remember)? I took an urban planning course at Waterloo university about 10 years ago, and I remember the textbook having a whole section about how innovative that project was. That one and the subdivisions in Bramalea (although that's not in Toronto of course).

Back