News   Apr 18, 2024
 709     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 6.4K     2 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.5K     4 

Westside Gallery Lofts (Urbancorp) - Real Estate -

The concrete wall portions with the white drywall and the dark hardwood looks fantastic. The hardwood really warms up the space. I'm going to put in bamboo flooring myself. Good for you! You've given us all a bit more hope and breathing room. My PDI is tomorrow morning, so I'm hoping for more of the same in my unit. Congrats!

good luck nadine! post some pics if u can!

Your pics really calmed me down. At least it looks...habitable with some work.
I've been freaking out since I put a down payment on this place...it will be the first place I own.

I've only heard negative things about this condo. I hope its not going to be as terrible as David's unit turned out to be- I nearly fainted watching that video!
The hallways of the building looks absolutely unfinished and possibly post-apocalyptic (I almost expect the denizens of the condo complex to be wondering the halls brandishing weapons).
Its as though the builder abandoned it after gross construction and never touched the inside.

My PDI is on Oct 29, lets hope I don't pass out when I walk in. :(

Though...more pictures from my future neighbors' PDIs would surely help slake my anxiety.

Last edited:
Really? He seemed like a bit of a drama queen but for the most part he just came across as upset to me.
Though it did seem stupid to me that he was complaining about the amount of exposed concrete, the tiling job in that unit was absolutely terrible and the unit overall was a bit disappointing.

I'm not worried about the flooring, I'm going to put in hardwood anyways, what I am concerned about is the exposed conduits and the holes in the ceiling concrete. I was hoping not to have to do much work aside from the floors before moving in. I hope its just because they haven't put in the final touches. IMO the hallways looked like those you find in college dorms these days and thats never a good sign.

I'm probably just anxious because I'm not sure what's within the 'normal range' of unfinished at this point.

My friend purchased three units at west side and two of the units turned out horrible. The exposed concrete walls were stained, discoloured, and not smooth (pot marks all over). The exposed ceiling had the same issues. I understand it is a loft but it looked like a parking garage from the pictures he showed me.

He did say the kitchen cabinets and finishes in the kitchen and washroom looked good. He's purchased units in 10 different projects and said that west side was by far the most disappointing. The lobby looked like a war zone when they handed him the key's for possession. His concern was eating three to four months of occupancy fees because his units needed to get fixed and the building was nowhere near complete (this was a few weeks ago).

I wasn't really happy with the flooring options they had, or the price they had for them. Hopefully the effort to do it, or get someone to do it won't be too much.

Anyone know the cost and time estimate of a good drywaller too? I bought late enough (last September) that the 9ft and drywall options weren't available to me.

Photos of hallways and lobby

Where are the PID pics? Curious to know if higher floors have lower/higher quality ??

Photos of hallways and lobby

DSC_5313.jpg

DSC_5312.jpg

DSC_5311.jpg

DSC_5310.jpg

DSC_5309.jpg

DSC_5308.jpg

DSC_5307.jpg

That was my impression of the realtor as well. His complaints about the view, 7 foot walls (when he knew this was going to be a rental property), the concrete floors and walls didn't draw any sympathy from me. Especially when he stated he got lazy and didn't keep up with the changes and what he was "getting" as the building went under subsequent changes. Also, he notes his price point was "too good to pass up" which there is a reason for. He also failed to acknowledged the positives such as the kitchen and bathroom!! I've been watching this project for the last five years. I knew what I was buying into when I purchased regarding sealed concrete floors and walls and the reputation of the builder. I opted for drywall and 9 foot wall extensions and planned to have my floors polished once I moved in as I've come to detest hardwood as it buckles or shifts after a new building settles in after a year or two. Polished concrete is way more durable and looks cooler in a soft/new construction loft. Builders always overcharge you for these types of upgrades so it is better you do it yourself anyways. The crooked tiles the realtor went on about are part of the reality of buying new construction. The only issue as a "new" purchaser that I was peeved about was with the exterior, which I thought was still going to have its original bright coloured facade but the builder changed 6 months after I put down my down payment. My love of the neighbourhood kept me involved.

When I moved into my current condo by a "top and reputable" builder, I had the same issues. Cracked or chiped tiles, doors off their tracking, buckling hardwood and a war zone common area and uncarpeted and unpainted hallways are the reality of any new construction...just realize the deficiencies are only temporary (do you want your neighbours scraping their furniture on your newly painted hall walls when they are moving in?), note your unit deficiencies in your PDI and they will eventually be fixed. We can also address the "decor" of the hallways when we get possession and the condo board takes over to determine if that is something we should invest in. The only valid point the realtor had was with the holes in the ceilings around the conduits and the piping which can be fixed. You can also paint the exposed plumbing pipes a consistent color like white if you don't like the pipes in their "raw" form. Many other lofts employ the same design tricks and look great. As for the discoloration and perf holes in the concrete? Tell the builder to sand it down to an even consistency in your PDI. I know this has been done in the Artscape lofts and it looks good. So don't worry about the realtor-I actually think he makes himself look worse and unknowledgable for posting his criticism on his blog. I would never hire him for the sole reason that he lost his composure over things he had control over! I have friends who have purchased pre-sale condos downtown who on their PDI were missing closets in their master bedroom! A big resale feature if you ask me. So it could be worse. Rest easy. You've invested well and it will be fine.

The more I read, the calmer I get. Thanks all for pictures and comments. How many weeks before you occupy do you have the PDI?

So I had my PDI, and everything was OK except for 2 MAJOR issues.

1) My Concrete floors are uneven. So much so that I wouldn't even be able to lay floors on them until its leveled off. there is a large ridge that runs right through the centre of the unit.

2) No HVAC vents in the bedrooms. According to the builder, the d...esign of the HVAC system was based on the walls not going to ceiling height and since i opted for 9 foot walls its my problem not theirs.

Other than that, the unit looks good. we will see what they do to fix it

Back