News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.1K     3 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 463     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.2K     0 

Westside Gallery Lofts (Urbancorp) - Real Estate -

Realtor David Fleming just posted a video of his PDI on his blog.

Here it is!

[video=youtube;o72fK8XXkQg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o72fK8XXkQg[/video]

Couple things...

How would he not know that the units are concrete?
How would he not know the size of his balcony?
How would he not know what his unit looks onto?
Most condos don't give you lights in principal rooms

Some of these things are his fault... However...all that piping showing looks awful. The job on the cement is atrocious and the workmanship is putrid. I also don't understand having a 2 bedroom with 7 ft ceilings. Imagine if your roommate was a snorer? Really stupid. He has the right to be pissed.

I know someone who purchased three units in this building. So far, he has completed two PDI's. The first unit was very good, however the second unit was similar to the blogger above. The person in question has purchsed over 20 units in the last 10 years and expected most of the items with the exception of the concrete walls. He was even aware of the builders reputation, but the price point was too good to pass on. He went so far as to call his lawyer during the PDI, his lawyer instructed him to take occupancy or he would be in default of his contract and can be sued by the developer. The contracts are written to protect the builder not the purchaser. Would you expect anything different?

I find it difficult to believe the real estate agent was blindsided by the unit and or the developer. I agree the concrete walls are awful and should be drywalled. The one hole punched in the ceiling for the pipe in the middle of the kitchen looks to be done by an amateur. As for the rest, what did the blogger expect in a hard loft?

I know someone who purchased three units in this building. So far, he has completed two PDI's. The first unit was very good, however the second unit was similar to the blogger above. The person in question has purchsed over 20 units in the last 10 years and expected most of the items with the exception of the concrete walls. He was even aware of the builders reputation, but the price point was too good to pass on. He went so far as to call his lawyer during the PDI, his lawyer instructed him to take occupancy or he would be in default of his contract and can be sued by the developer. The contracts are written to protect the builder not the purchaser. Would you expect anything different?

I find it difficult to believe the real estate agent was blindsided by the unit and or the developer. I agree the concrete walls are awful and should be drywalled. The one hole punched in the ceiling for the pipe in the middle of the kitchen looks to be done by an amateur. As for the rest, what did the blogger expect in a hard loft?

some of the items not in the unit are common and as you said, i'm surprised the RE agent didn't expect it.
no lights - common, small balcony - well that was in your floorplan, crappy view - again, schematic and floorplan.

but the concrete walls, large holes thru floors, ... that's just crazy.
are you sure this is a hard loft because i don't recall it being marketed as such?
the unit looks like a shell and not completely finished ... i'm expecting alot more to be done.
i'm not sure what the city requires before issuing an occupancy permit but maybe this is the minimum.

Not sure if its a hard loft. 7ft walls were in the agreement and so was unfinished concrete floors (standard finishes). So you would expect the pipes to continue right up to the ceiling (exposed pipes). I agree, the concrete walls are weird and not sure if the contract makes any mention of the wall finishes. I would never question it as I would expect the walls to be finished walls. Perhaps in the future, we may have to make sure we have plumbing in the kitchen and bathrooms when we buy pre construction.

Personally, I'm done with pre construction in Toronto. Risk vs reward doesn't make sense anymore.

Just had my PDI today and overall, I'm satisfied with what was done with my unit. Other than the usual missing or off centred tile, I didn't find anything that would be considered serious. The walls were only up to 7 ft tall and had the exposed piping but I never made the option to raise the walls to the ceiling so not too sure what I will do with that. Raising the walls will provide more privacy but leaving them as is seems to open the space up. Hardwood floors turned out fine and the kitchen island was a plus! I've included some shots. View is not too bad as well.

Attachments

• IMG_2662.JPG
    IMG_2662.JPG
    12.5 KB · Views: 361
  • IMG_2670.JPG
    IMG_2670.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 358
  • IMG_2672.JPG
    IMG_2672.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 359
  • IMG_2678.JPG
    IMG_2678.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_2669.JPG
    IMG_2669.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_2663.JPG
    IMG_2663.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_2673.JPG
    IMG_2673.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 348
After sneaking in the building

Hey Guys,

Here are some photos of my unit. PDI is in 2 weeks, so we shall see how it looks once completed

IMG_0115.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0115.jpg
    IMG_0115.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 553
  • IMG_0103.jpg
    IMG_0103.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 535
  • IMG_0114.jpg
    IMG_0114.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 535
  • IMG_0117.jpg
    IMG_0117.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 524
  • IMG_0110.jpg
    IMG_0110.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 542
  • IMG_0113.jpg
    IMG_0113.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 667
Just had my PDI today and overall, I'm satisfied with what was done with my unit. Other than the usual missing or off centred tile, I didn't find anything that would be considered serious. The walls were only up to 7 ft tall and had the exposed piping but I never made the option to raise the walls to the ceiling so not too sure what I will do with that. Raising the walls will provide more privacy but leaving them as is seems to open the space up. Hardwood floors turned out fine and the kitchen island was a plus! I've included some shots. View is not too bad as well.

Looks good! thanks for posting. Sucks they went up only 1/2 way with tile in your tub eh?

In this case, I got both the shower stall and the tub, so they installed only the tub portion without the showerhead. Since only baths wouild be taken, there would be no need for the tiles to go all the way up to the ceiling.

The concrete wall portions with the white drywall and the dark hardwood looks fantastic. The hardwood really warms up the space. I'm going to put in bamboo flooring myself. Good for you! You've given us all a bit more hope and breathing room. My PDI is tomorrow morning, so I'm hoping for more of the same in my unit. Congrats!

Back