News   Apr 26, 2024
 525     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 385     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 580     0 

Westin Harbour Castle (?, ?, ?)

I'm in the obliterate camp, but make it a park/public space instead of yet another building.

Given that the news reports this morning say that the site could fetch up to $400 million, wonder where the money would come from to make it a park/public space and whether that's the most needed investment in this city if we do happen to have $400 million available.

That's a huge amount of money for what would be a relatively small park.

Last edited:
You mean this streaking pile?

upload_2016-1-22_14-22-55.jpeg

(Google Streetview)

AoD

Attachments

• upload_2016-1-22_14-22-55.jpeg
    upload_2016-1-22_14-22-55.jpeg
    116.1 KB · Views: 900
I'm in the obliterate camp, but make it a park/public space instead of yet another building.
Someone's going to pay $400 million to tear this down and build a park?

EDIT: Oops, Skeezix beat me to it, but I see no reason not to beat this particular horse until I'm sure it's absolutely dead.

No, I know exactly to what I am referring, and the comments above suggest that most others do too. Thanks for assuming we all must be confused, though.
This is about the only real estate that can be turned into green space but i doubt it, (considering the purchase price)
.......there will be green space @ York St. and also just east at the LCBO lands

There has always been rumour of a 50s+ tower going up at this location, now with the madness down @ Southcore we might even see a couple tall ones (2x60s+)

As a person that uses that stretch of Martin Goodman for running, I say level the whole thing. I think this building is an abomination to the current urban context of the area, especially with the suburban assault vehicles cutting pedestrians off to enter the parkade.

As far as the conference centre, that would be an excellent site for a landmark office/residential or mixed use building. There is a potential to connect the building to Queen Quay Station as well.

Well, no matter what they do here, I think we can all look forward to at least forty-seven instances of the word "iconic" per page of this thread.

(I'm in the "bulldoze convention centre, build new hotel on that site, bulldoze old hotel, put new retail/restaurants/convention centre on the south side" camp)

*fingers crossed for a Turning Torso redux on the lakefront*

Last edited:
I do not love this building, and it is a prime spot for something a lot more interesting. I don't want to see a park here if I am being honest, sure give it some trees though. The convention centre should go for sure, I can stand the tower (the saucer at the top is at least a bit different) Ideally I'd say tear the whole thing down, get Bjarke Ingels or Herzog and de Meuron to design something. However I realize things are rarely that ideal. I would be concerned that this would end up more generic than it already is.

Back