News   Apr 19, 2024
 884     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 661     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1K     3 

West Queen West / A&D District

Holy crap - even I don't remember it looking so shitty. What was it back then??

I don't have any personal recollections of it back then either. Although I do have a bit more vivid memories of the Gladstone Hotel before their previous restoration.

According to Wiki the Drake Hotel building was a flophouse during the 70s, and then used as a "punk bar and rave den" in the 80 and 90s.

Just some random photos along Queen on an absurdly warm February day! Btw I love the technique of the stairway in the very front as it looks great and lets natural light into the lower level.

IMG_6940.jpeg
IMG_6942.jpeg
IMG_6943.jpeg
IMG_6944.jpeg
IMG_6945.jpeg
IMG_6946.jpeg
IMG_6947.jpeg
IMG_6948.jpeg
IMG_6951.jpeg
IMG_6952.jpeg

Which cafe is that?

Also, good to see that building finally getting renovated after seemingly decades of vacancy. It looked dangerously close to collapsing the last few years.

Which cafe is that?

Also, good to see that building finally getting renovated after seemingly decades of vacancy. It looked dangerously close to collapsing the last few years.
Bebop Joe’s Café at 960 Queen West (west of Shaw.) Very good coffee and across from the park.

And yes it is always good to see buildings brought back to life! This one is actually very deep and could contain dozens of units.

IMG_6955.png

Good post; though we're following this project now in at least 3 different threads.

We've been seeing construction pics in the Cycling thread:

But discussion of this project began in the Dufferin Jog thread, here:

I will say, I think the herringbone pattern here is handsome, but wish it were in Toronto red, not grey.

Missed my stop so had to get off at Abell on Queen and walk south and found a few surprises. The first is the coffee shop pocket tucked into the wall of 34 Lisgar which is a great idea! Second is the fact that Sudbury Street is holding its own as a little retail strip that will only increase when the station is finished. Finally is the discovery (on my part) that there is a passage to the CAMH campus from Sudbury. Taken 9 March.

IMG_8448.jpeg

IMG_8450.jpeg
IMG_8451.jpeg
IMG_8457.jpeg
IMG_8454.jpeg
IMG_8456.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8455.jpeg
    IMG_8455.jpeg
    326.8 KB · Views: 1

Back