News   Apr 24, 2024
 935     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 613     0 

West One Condos (Concord CityPlace) - Real Estate -

I'm not very familiar with how HVAC and air handling systems are designed to compensate against the phenomenon but I could add a few points of general interest. All buildings experience "stack effect". This is an air pressure gradient resulting from the bouyancy of hot air relative to cold. The building essentially acts like a chimney. This phenomenon is accentuated in tall buildings where there is a higher gradient from the bottom to the top. Air gets sucked in to the lower portion of the building and is blasted out at the top. So if there was no control of this phenomenon a person at the base of the building opening a door would feel themselves getting sucked into the building while a person at the top opening a window would feel themselves being sucked out. Somewhere in the middle is a line called the neutral pressure plane where a person opening the window would experience no air movement at all. As I understand the elevator shafts are the primary regulators maintaining a more balanced pressure from floor to floor.

Honestly, I don't get this place at all - everyone's obviously fairly well off in terms of cash, but half of them look like sketchy ravers (fine by me; I'm a raver / software developer who got lucky LOL) I swear to god there must be a drug dealer on every floor in West One.

Strangely, when I signed the lease too - I was expecting some crazy long lease saying what I wasn't allowed to do - but all it was was a one-pager specifying rent and term. I guess when you can afford this level of rental things loosen up a bit (i'm coming from a tiny, poor quality bachelor apartment, so its an interesting contrast.)

The biggest drug bust of the year occurred in the N building across from you. Happened a couple of months ago.

Your lease should have been multi-pages if they were standard forms. The landlord must be new to leasing.

The air pressure problem occurs in The Gallery and N building as well. Management is aware of it, but not high-priority. I heard they are fixing it, floor-by-floor and has been ongoing for a year.

I hear a similar noise at my unit at West One which I actually stated in my end of year Tarion warranty form. N

ow the noise i hear comes from behind the bathroom wall (06 unit) and my impression is it's some sort of a water pump thats activated everytime we flush although stopped happening a month ago.

Let me know if its something like that.

Any one else know what the sound might be coming from.....
Will Tarion fix this?

I think it's the elevator..and we can not replace that without hitting the Mgmt fee.

So that's where that dreadful noise is coming from. I can hear it all the way over in Riverdale.

Can you shut it off, please, Rangostar?

West One - 11 Brunel Crt - City Place - anyone with any insight on this building?

Hi All:
I am looking at the West One - 11 Brunel Crt - City Place. Does anyone have any insight on this building? Any pros or cons? I took a look at two units today. I am looking at living there, but not too sure of any real pitfalls. The hallways seemed pretty nasty looking, but other than that the units checked out okay. I am looking at buying, not renting, and living there for approx 3-4 years.

Thanks

I know someone that lives at West One and it's a frat house. Same thing for Neo and Montage. Plus there's the Block 31 issue - the nearby affordable household project that is going from 7 to 49 stories which will eliminate a lot of units' views. Lots of false fire alarms are also an issue.

thanks for the feedback. anyone else have any feedback? the general vibe i have been getting from people is that cityplace in general is almost all tenants, no owners, with many buildings being like giant frathouses...

i donno, i think that's a pretty broad generalisation and consequently pretty ignorant. the downtown demographic living in the core is generally younger and the fact of the matter is cityplace is cheapest of the lot so the average age is probably lower. just like any 500 unit tower there is a substantial number of tenants as there are investors but this whole bubble seems to have reduced those numbers noticeably.

i have lived in westone for about 3 years now and am moving out in april. i have seen the building go through its growing pains and start to show promise. the building has exceptional amenities and a fresh look on the board of directors that seems to be making a turn in the right direction.

but at the end of the day if u don't have a good feeling about the place don't buy into it. that would be the golden rule.

I actually just moved here and am really liking it - like nandito said it's personal preference. But be warned, like you, I had mixed feelings after reviewing it, but went with my gut and purchased a unit. Essentially, you have to list your priorities in what you want in a condo, for me it's good SPACE for your money, balcony, free visitors parking (a lot of places around Toronto will charge your visitors an arm and a leg for that), great location - one street away from the water, less than 5 years, great view (waterfront), low maintenance fees, pool, accessible transportation and closeby grocery, all of which came with the building. Make your own judgements and reach your decision based on your priorities, do your research and do listen to what others have to say, but keep you ears open to the possibility of hearing biased opinions and take what they have to say with a grain of salt, in a building with so many units, you're bound to come across a handful of unhappy tenants/owners.

Last edited:
I still hear the noise, on and off, and it is still driving me a little crazy.

did anyone ask the management about this. I never have the chance to yet.

Sigh..The noise is likely the elevator. I think so because 2 of the 5 elevator were broken for few days and I heard less of the elevator noise. weird thing is that my unit is no even against the elevator? The Motor is at the bottom, so it should not be the motor.

I do agree that Westone is like a frat house but i can see potential at this area since there are many Development coming up.
now the Block 31 is being redesigned, there will be more units that will save their views and more

another issue I have with noise is upstairs making excessive noise. i am not sure what they are doing upstairs, there is always clinking and stuff dropping. It's like a construction going on everyday. Every time when the upstairs tenet walk, it makes noise like thump thump thump! Maybe there is a large dog always dragging stuff left and right. and I think there might be insufficient insulation above my floor because they made their floor into concrete loft style flooring. I think I will need to ask the management to take a look at their unit. I am not sure if this is possible.

What would one do in these situation other then selling my unit.

This is my first condo purchase so i missed some of the major points. I guess i cannot pick my neighbors

Back