News   May 06, 2024
 617     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 553     0 

West Hill

Rabies

Member Bio
Reaction score
There are a ton of town houses, including new developments selling for very affordable prices ($210,000!). My RE agent is very suspicious that so many are still available at such prices, since typically these things sell out in no time ... unless there's a "problem".

What is the "problem" in this area? Is it the recent shooting nearby? Is this area a "Little Malvern" ? what's the deal??

(I'm looking for a place under $260. Not many options. :-( )

Depends on where in the Neighbourhood of West Hill you're in, if you're buying down by Coronation Street that's the good part of the neighbourhood. Around Kingston Road and Morningside is a little rough. That area's ripe for gentrification after the Morningside LRT rolls through depending on how long you wanna stay in the area. It's not far from the Bluffs (Guildwood), and Morningside Mall, so I guess that's a plus? Stay away from Galloway Road, not a very fun street - the area south of Kingston isn't bad though... Anyways you can take that for what it is.

Thanks for the tips. Galloway rd is precisely where all these affordable new townhouses are being built. Maybe this signals a coming turn-around for this area?

You'll notice that in this area Kingston Road is lined with motels, a lot of them serve as shelters for the homeless now since the 401 was built and the primary east-west highway has moved north of Hwy 2. This combined with the higher than usual amount of TCHC housing, and the fairly low land value compared with the area south and north of it results in West Hill. There are a lot of young people (14-19) in the area, something common in many parts of Scarborough but uncommon in other areas in the city. This area should see an interesting future as Kingston Rd will be narrowed from 6 to 4 lanes with the construction of the Malvern LRT. Keep an eye on the Pam Am games bid, due to the fact that a major facility is going to be located at the University of Toronto's Scarborough campus this line might be accelerated and your investment might appreciate faster than you might have expected.

I love Scarborough, it's demographics are unique to this city. However, if you're looking for cheap townhouses go to Liberty Village. Now that's an upcoming neighbourhood without the suburban feel. Don't get me wrong with how frequently the 86, and 116 run you can find yourself Downtown in an hour - but if you plan on having children or if you have children this isn't a neighbourhood you want to move to, at least on Galloway.

There was a gang war between Malvern and Galloway in the mid 00's, but that has long ended. There is still some resentment felt between some in their respected neighbourhoods. About 3 years ago I went to School in Guildwood (near Galloway) and lived in Malvern and encountered a situation where I was approached and asked if I was from Galloway in Malvern. Youth in these areas seem to keep note of faces, it's actually interesting the way networking works in this way. If you aren't young and aren't a male you shouldn't have any trouble at all.

That's my two cents having lived in the area for an extended period. There are a lot of nice people, I can't wait to see what will happen when the LRT is finally built.

It has been improving consistently over the last decade with the reconstruction of Morningside Mall and other incentives, this area definitely has a bright future.

Last edited:
Well, you've summed it up nicely. Thank you, and warnings heeded. ;)

(Though I have to chuckle at "Liberty Village" and "cheap" in the same sentence. The equivalent price in LV only gets a tiny bachelor townhouse, while what's for sale in Galloway area gets 3 bed, 2 bath at 1250sq.)

Last edited:

Back