538     0 
News   May 21, 2024
 426     0 

Wedding reception location ideas

Minks77

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hey everybody!

I was wondering if any of you had some ideas for low-key, non traditional locations for a wedding reception here in the city. My fiancé and I were planning a destination wedding but problems with the fam killed that idea so we've decided to try and do this in a simple, affordable yet still hip and fun way here in our home city. Everywhere we look though, the costs just keep getting higher and we're pulling out our hair.

Any suggestions would be great!
Thanks!

It's not in Toronto, but about 20 minutes north west of Waterloo is a tiny (mostly horse and buggy Mennonite) village with a beautiful park along a river (Mill/falls included), in view of beautiful farm country: Floradale, Ontario. I took some photos last spring of the park and area, will post more if you're interested. Another option could be Galt (Cambridge)--along the river it's quite beautiful. South west of K-W, Paris, Ontario is quite spectacular, and who wouldn't want to brag they were married in Paris?;)

In Toronto proper, I knew a couple that got married at the Wychwood Artscape barns--in the main hall where the farmer's market is located. (Have it catered by the folks at Stockyard's just around the corner on St Clair.)

Last edited:
I got married on a Tall ship called the Kajama in Toronto harbor. It holds about 100 people. I love ships so I have a bias towards things on the water. If however you decide to go back to the traditional marriage reception don't ignore the Old Mill its a staple of most wanted wedding venues in Toronto. Either way it will cost you a fortune for rentals, catering, licenses etc. Book as soon as you can usually a typical hot spot for weddings need to be booked well in advance of a year.

Thanks for the quick replies! I'm going to check out the spots listed outside the city, waterfalls sound nice. As for the ship, well I've contacted them about The Challenger as it holds less people and we will definitely be under 100, we're not interested in more than about 50 guests.

Originally we'd wanted to do a garden or backyard wedding. Problem is our back yard is tiny and not so pretty. A good friend got married out on Wards Island 2 years ago and it was the nicest wedding I've been to.

Check out the Argonaut Rowing Club on Lakeshore just west of Ontario Place. Very reasonable rates, great view on the water, beautiful room and cozy lounge area. Only downside is no A/C if you're doing this in late summer, though the breeze is always cool off the lake.

We got a (Mississauga) city permit to have a picnic in Streetsville Park; the picnic area is on an island in the park, so it's relatively private. After the ceremony the Longo's catering truck showed up with all the food for a picnic! Presumably Toronto has a similiar process ... however the bride was from Streetsville, so it was perfect!

Have you looked at Black Creek Pioneer Village (Jane & Steeles)? See http://www.blackcreek.ca/private-functions/ for more information.

* State-of-the-art meeting and banquet rooms for groups of 58 - 200
* On-site catering and event planning and support
* Both indoor and outdoor spaces for large gatherings (2,000 outdoors)
* Social, team building and training opportunities
* Convenient location next to York University
* Easily accessible by highways 401, 400, 407 and 404 and TTC
* Tranquil natural surroundings, and authentic Canadian historic ambiance

Their Wedding Event page is at http://www.blackcreek.ca/private-functions/weddings/.

70021.jpg

70025.jpg

70027.jpg

including a patio:
70023.jpg

My brother and his wife got married on the Stephen Leacock estate in Orillia. It was beautiful there and it's right near the water.

What about Prince Edward County. Beautiful place with Sandbanks Provincial Park, Lots of great B&Bs (Claramount Inn - Recommend), Vineyards, Bike rentals, etc...

artscape...

artscape has some great locales to choose from...

wychwood barns and gibraltar point.

In Toronto proper, I knew a couple that got married at the Wychwood Artscape barns--in the main hall where the farmer's market is located. (Have it catered by the folks at Stockyard's just around the corner on St Clair.)

Last edited:
I came across this Sunnyside Pavilion website (click on this link), and was surprised that it is now a venue for weddings.

courtyard03.jpg

courtyard04.jpg

quaint03.jpg

terrace02.jpg

terrace01.jpg

To think where I used to change into my bathing suit as a kid, is now a wedding venue. I don't think the current changing rooms in the lower east wing is being used for weddings. Must be nice on a hot summer night.

Back