News   May 06, 2024
 83     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 589     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 1.3K     1 

We need a ferry godmother to help us get to the island

Doing a pedestrian/bike bridge over the eastern gap at Cherry Beach would have the extra benefit of bringing more people to the Port Lands neighbourhood and spur more activity on that side. I'd be a huge supporter of it.

So many cities have amazing bridges that move up, or to the side, etc. I really do not get why we're building an expensive tunnel under the channel for Porter, when we could just do a bridge that moves for much cheaper. I really do think the island should be connected from one end to the other for people to visit.

So many cities have amazing bridges that move up, or to the side, etc. I really do not get why we're building an expensive tunnel under the channel for Porter, when we could just do a bridge that moves for much cheaper. I really do think the island should be connected from one end to the other for people to visit.

I doubt a draw bridge or the like would be much cheaper if at all.

Secondly, one of the attractions / charms of the island is to a certain degree the journey to it, for me / my family / kids I know ... so on, yes it can be hectic at times but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

I think there definitely should be a bridge. That way people can walk there if they so please. Keep in mind it'd probably take a significantly longer time to walk there, so some people may still opt to take the ferry.

oldmap.gif

The first plane landed on Port George VI Airfield on February 2nd,1939. Work by the Toronto Harbour Commission had started on dredging the material for the land back in 1937, after approval by City Council.

island.jpg

So why don't we dredge up come more material from the harbour or channels to expand the land around the runways (east end?) to add more safety space and a bicycle path. Maybe the same cushion length (228 m)± as Pearson's runways are to Silver Dart Drive or Highway 427.

I doubt a draw bridge or the like would be much cheaper if at all.

Secondly, one of the attractions / charms of the island is to a certain degree the journey to it, for me / my family / kids I know ... so on, yes it can be hectic at times but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Nobody said anything about replacing or trading. Just adding.

If there's a pedestrian bridge to the islands it should be accesible by bicycles as well. Has anyone ever been jogging on the Brooklyn bridge? I'm sure this bridge to the islands would be used quite often by joggers and cyclists even if it isn't to go to the islands but just for exercise.

Hi all, I'm new here. I went to the Island the Monday of the May long weekend. We too encountered the sea of people at the ferry docks, but just down the way (west I think) there are water taxis that will take you over for a couple of dollars more than the ferry costs. No waiting at all!

Hi all, I'm new here. I went to the Island the Monday of the May long weekend. We too encountered the sea of people at the ferry docks, but just down the way (west I think) there are water taxis that will take you over for a couple of dollars more than the ferry costs. No waiting at all!

What??? Private enterprise? Scandelous!@!@!@!!!

Back