News   May 08, 2024
 87     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 565     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 482     1 

Waterside Exec Ctr (Pt Credit Post Office conversion, Centre City Capital, 3s, Adamson) COMPLETE

I was always under the impression that a developer would have to volunteer to put their project through the DRP themselves. Is that not the case?
I don't know the procedure in Mississauga, which may vary from Toronto's, but in Toronto the developer is typically approached by Planning and told that their building needs to go before the panel. The voluntary part is whether or how the developer and architect respond to the requests of the panel. Panel members may make requests that conflict with those of other panel members, so a redesign cannot always satisfy every request. It's with that understanding that responding to the panel's input is voluntary: the developer, the architect, the private planners, the city's planners take all of the advice on board, it's all weighed, and everyone figures out how to respond. The responses factor into how the building continues through the planning process.

2f2e5ae4-b08e-4364-9804-47f66110d0f2_zpsh1q9gyzz.jpg

Great perspective of the area. I wish the new building had respected the height of the library (in the foreground), as well as the harbourmaster's building (in blue on the far side of the construction site) and the commercial buildings at Stavebank, but what's done is done.

respected the height of the library? the library is a single storey low slung modernist structure. That is a bit of a crazy request, the heritage structure this is keeping around is taller than it. Stuff can (and should) be taller than 5m. The thing is only 3 floors in the first place, it's a very contextually solid and small scaled form of intensification.

Stuff can (and should) be taller than 5m.
Depends where it is. My point about the library and the other buildings in Jasonzed's picture is that they acknowledged the fact that they were in the area that makes Port Credit unique: the river, as it approaches the lake. The buildings, including the old post office, did not try to upstage the river valley, the marina, the two-storey building serving the marina, and the Waterfront Trail that winds past them. They fit in. This building at three storeys is out of scale with everything else on Lakeshore at that point. A glass-clad box here is screaming to draw attention to itself. It will get attention all right, but not in a good way, in my opinion.

I doubt that you and I will agree on this point. That's how it goes.

Back