News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 638     0 

Waterloo Region Transit Developments (ION LRT, new terminal, GRT buses)

Edit: I just noticed the arrow for the fare machine points toward the bus station rather than the ION station. Is this going to be the first fare machine outside an ION station?

I'm pretty sure I have seen ones at Cambridge Center and Ainslie terminal. (But someone who lives in Cambridge can confirm for sure)

I like that this design really makes Kitchener Central seem like a Central station. It makes it seem like you’re arriving in a city, not a town. I hope that they go full steam ahead with building this station. Next up, I think that Waterloo Region needs to really push to get Breslau GO built. As sad as this makes me feel, an abundance of parking would help boost ridership numbers in the AM and PM rush.

By looking at maps, it seems like they could squeeze in a 3rd track pretty easily. Which is good because I do think that more capacity will be needed over the next 15 years.
Metrolinx has had some Townhalls in Waterloo and the push for Breslau Go Station is hot cake. The rising numbers of commuters to and from Toronto definitely needs a parking provision Breslau can provide. I have been looking forward since the development on HWY 7 and Greenhouse took off and just amazed that it's not started or built yet. TBH I think we need to look at the politicians as they do not seem to see what we talking about. Metrolinx mentioned at the Communitech Townhall in 2018 that they are in talks with landowners in Breslau and that it is a private development that is undertaking the project. I can only imagine the delays politicians and township can cause. I need the Park & Ride badly. Hope they sort it all out

Metrolinx has had some Townhalls in Waterloo and the push for Breslau Go Station is hot cake. The rising numbers of commuters to and from Toronto definitely needs a parking provision Breslau can provide. I have been looking forward since the development on HWY 7 and Greenhouse took off and just amazed that it's not started or built yet. TBH I think we need to look at the politicians as they do not seem to see what we talking about. Metrolinx mentioned at the Communitech Townhall in 2018 that they are in talks with landowners in Breslau and that it is a private development that is undertaking the project. I can only imagine the delays politicians and township can cause. I need the Park & Ride badly. Hope they sort it all out
It says a lot that a new highway is a higher priority for the province than Breslau GO, unfortunately.

It says a lot that a new highway is a higher priority for the province than Breslau GO, unfortunately.
Not much of a priority .. they've been planning and designing that new highway since at least the 1960s! That odd collector/express piece of the Conestoga expressway, that opened in the 1960s, was designed that way, on the assumption that the new bridge carrying Wellington over the Conestoga was going to be the expressway to Guelph. So if opened in the 1960s, when did planning begin?

Much as I'm loathe to promote stations outside of the urban fabric, I wouldn't really oppose this.

However, I would note, that K-W could better accommodate GO riders with an earlier start to service, feeding the Central Station.

Likewise, if Mx can meet its commitments to shaving 25M or more off the K-W to Toronto commute, that would allow for slight shift later for the 1st train, and some infill service still in the prime slot.

Those choices may not be likely to replace demand for Park n' Ride, but they can certainly help, and should, both, be able to be delivered by fall of this year, something Breslau will not.

Much as I'm loathe to promote stations outside of the urban fabric, I wouldn't really oppose this.

However, I would note, that K-W could better accommodate GO riders with an earlier start to service, feeding the Central Station.

Likewise, if Mx can meet its commitments to shaving 25M or more off the K-W to Toronto commute, that would allow for slight shift later for the 1st train, and some infill service still in the prime slot.

Those choices may not be likely to replace demand for Park n' Ride, but they can certainly help, and should, both, be able to be delivered by fall of this year, something Breslau will not.
Yeah, I can't say I envy daily commuters who go the full length of the line. Adding Breslau will inevitably add time to journeys, and the departures can already be pretty eye-wateringly early. Any time that can be gained would easily translate to more ridership, I think -- it makes it a much stronger sell to the same daily commuters you're trying to entice with a park n' ride.

Yeah, I can't say I envy daily commuters who go the full length of the line. Adding Breslau will inevitably add time to journeys, and the departures can already be pretty eye-wateringly early. Any time that can be gained would easily translate to more ridership, I think -- it makes it a much stronger sell to the same daily commuters you're trying to entice with a park n' ride.
Surely there's more riders that can be gained by having parking available, than those lost because the first train is 3 minutes earlier.

Back