News   Jul 30, 2024
 153     1 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 993     3 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 519     0 

Waterloo Region Transit Developments (ION LRT, new terminal, GRT buses)

Here are some detail shots of the work going on with the catenary poles.

IMG_7083.jpg

IMG_7084.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7083.jpg
    IMG_7083.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 2,203
  • IMG_7084.jpg
    IMG_7084.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 1,339
Here are some detail shots of the work going on with the catenary poles.

Duck, we're so often taking the pictures of the same things at around the same time, it's a wonder we've never run into each other!

Waterloo Spur OCS pole update from today:
25264770193_6cc8774808_b.jpg

25867587486_ee52c7cddd_c.jpg

25592922970_803a144fbe_b.jpg

This morning, I stopped by Bombardier's Millhaven test facility. The OCS system on the MOVIA test track is now complete, but no train movements or sightings today. I didn't actually expect to see one of our trains here yet, but a little part of me had hoped that I might. :)

March 20

Terminal at Conestoga Mall is taking shape.
Untitled by ION Construction, on Flickr

View from Quiet Pl. OCS Pole installed to Albert McCormick. I think this is a better place to view than the corner at R&T Park station.

Last untouched section of King St., through Uptown Waterloo, now closed.

Preparing for track concrete pour on Charles.

Schneider Creek LRT Bridge progress.

The excavated area between King and Victoria and future grade separation.

Rest of day available here on Flickr.

Amazing pictures! Can you remind me if they have a range for opening day?
"Late 2017 / Fall 2017"

It's quite likely they are aiming for Labour Day 2017, as that is when bus schedules change for the fall. There is going to be some route reorganization happening at the same time as LRT launch, so operationally, this is the best date. If they could launch it beforehand, that would be nice, but construction seems to be pretty "on schedule", so I don't forsee an early launch, nor do I really expect anything to delay it into the winter.

well couldve been worse...at least theyre not digging up Roman British ruins down in London

Glad to see the progress (thanks for the updates!), but more importantly seeing this type of project becoming a reality. Transit projects like this are going to be a huge boon for the area, and serve as a great starting point for further future expansion. Good stuff.

What Ion has accomplished in *Kit-Loo, is great and is a good example of what other smaller cities and municipalities are failing to realize (Brampton, Mississauga et al.).

Back