News   Jul 12, 2024
 801     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 730     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 306     0 

Waterloo Region Transit Developments (ION LRT, new terminal, GRT buses)

As far as the gongs go you should also bear in mind these ARE Toronto cars in everything but details (and at . Grandlinq bought them through Metrolinx' as an add-on to the Transit City order.
These Flexity "gongs" are digital recordings, not real bells.

Real bells: (or not)

Posted on Thursday, 3rd July 2014 at 13:01

Transport for Edinburgh has issued a statement following today's news coverage reporting that tram bells will be 'silenced' in certain areas of the city.

A spokesman for Transport for Edinburgh said:

There are no plans to stop use of the tram bell as it's a critical safety device on the road. Our policy hasn't changed since December last year when we started on-street testing. Drivers ring the bell when it's appropriate to sound it for very important safety reasons. This includes busy junctions, when pulling away from tram stops and when the driver thinks that a nearby pedestrian may not be aware of the presence of the tram.
The safety of pedestrians and our passengers is our number one priority and we train our drivers to use their judgement based on conditions around them.​
https://edinburghtrams.com/news/statement-on-the-use-of-tram-bells

Don't know if these are real bells or not, but note the Railway horn!

And of course, the largest tram system in the world:
Melbourne Tram Gongs - Apps on Google Play
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.alexpeters...gongsimulator&hl...

A collection of four gongs covering six of Melbourne's eight current tram classes (A, B, C1, C2, W and Z), with realistic button operation. Inspired by Ben

Last edited:
Last Thursday Nov 15th, ION did its first winter night testing. I caught 509 out around 10:00 p.m. and as I headed home I heard on the radio that it was joined by 507 and 505. Reports are that the trio stayed out until 3:30 a.m. (this is why the anticipated last ever GEXR train up the Waterloo spur never happened). Here's a few shots...

Northbound, turning from Francis onto King:

Northbound, entering Waterloo Public Square:

Departing Waterloo Public Square:

Arriving at Conestoga Station:

Departing Conestoga Station:

Last Thursday Nov 15th, ION did its first winter night testing. I caught 509 out around 10:00 p.m. and as I headed home I heard on the radio that it was joined by 507 and 505. Reports are that the trio stayed out until 3:30 a.m. (this is why the anticipated last ever GEXR train up the Waterloo spur never happened). Here's a few shots...

Northbound, turning from Francis onto King:

Northbound, entering Waterloo Public Square:

Departing Waterloo Public Square:

Arriving at Conestoga Station:

Departing Conestoga Station:

They look good in the snow.

Now if only they had something called "passengers"...

Now if only Metrolinx hadn't gotten hot and heavy for Alstom and had finalized the spec for the Bombardier order on time instead of trying to cancel it, Waterloo Region could have had their vehicles and the Free Issue Equipment to install in them according to the original schedule.

Last edited:
Now if only Metrolinx hadn't gotten hot and heavy for Alstom and had finalized the spec for the Bombardier order on time instead of trying to cancel it, Waterloo Region could have had their vehicles and the Free Issue Equipment to install them according to the original schedule.

I am 100% certain that we'd still be here with or without the Alstom order

510 was offloaded this morning, it all started with pushing the ramp out of the yard:

It was switched to the southbound track:

Then pulled forward for staging:

After decoupling the ramp, the TrackMobile pulled forward and switched to the freight track for its northbound trip to retrieve 510 and its entourage:

Fetch TrackMobile!

Hey, look what you've brought:

They decoupled the buffer flatcar (there's one locked to each end during shipping to ensure that the LRV's overhanging ends don't get bashed):

Then backed it out of the way so the ramp could be brought in:

They deployed 510's coupler:

While installing a coupler adapter on the buffer car:

Meanwhile, 510 waited:

The ramp was pushed into place and connected to its flatcar:

Then the chains could came off:

And the hold downs were removed:

Some of the chains did double duty holding the ramp to the flatcar:

While the tug (my word, don't know theirs) was staged:

The TrackMobile used the buffer car as a fishing line to pull 510 down the ramp:

In the vertical direction the LRVs are bendy in only one place (Duck does a great job of explaining why here):

In just a few minutes 510 was sitting on home track:

The tug was connected and dragged it to the crossover:

Then pushed it into the yard:

For a date with the wash building to get some of that snow off:

- THE END -

This is interesting, as in Canada, we have at least two examples of LRTs having to meet federal regs, Ottawa's and K/W's.

In the US:

http://onlinepubs.trb.org/onlinepubs/circulars/ec058/08_01_Ames.pdf

A lot of readers will find the article interesting. I just tripped across it looking for "bells" and LRT + Federal regulation.

I also tripped across this for Ottawa, albeit I knew already that any and all transit in Ottawa is federally regulated, albeit divested to the municipal agency to oversee, but this specifically itemizes the LRT, although I have to wonder who oversees the ION's shared jurisdiction when using heavy rail lines?

https://documents.ottawa.ca/sites/default/files/lrtregfw_fnl_en.pdf

I haven't looked lately, but have tried many times in the past to find and access ION's legal basis, most specifically the signals and how provincial legal agreement/basis could also be used for the King Street Pilot in Toronto. (Assumed as an addendum to the Highway Traffic Act)

Any help on that most appreciated.

Addendum: Finding the right tags for successful searches is always hit and miss, and right now, it's miss on the above, but did find this:

https://rapidtransit.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/multimedialibrary/resources/2012_rt_tpadisplayboards.pdf

There must have been name-changes for the ION project...that's all I can find, let alone anything on regs...
I find it interesting that it notes that the Confederation Line is considered a federal transit project. Does that differ from being a federal railway/rail line? It doesn't seem like the Confederation Line is being required to operate under a certificate of fitness (i.e. as part of Capital Railway, aka the same setup as the Trillium Line). I wonder if this means that an LRT crossing a provincial boundary wouldn't be required to operate under a certificate of fitness since the regulatory business is just delegated to the municipality?

I find it interesting that it notes that the Confederation Line is considered a federal transit project. Does that differ from being a federal railway/rail line?
Yes, it's different, as different legislation pertains to each. One is under the NC Act, the other the Transportation Act.
Defined by the National Capital Act, the National Capital Region consists of an area of 4,715 km2 (1,820 sq mi) that straddles theOttawa River, which serves as the boundary between the provinces of Ontario and Quebec.
National Capital Region (Canada) - Wikipedia
It doesn't seem like the Confederation Line is being required to operate under a certificate of fitness (i.e. as part of Capital Railway, aka the same setup as the Trillium Line)
That's correct, and also why they have no track connection. If they did, by SCC previous rulings, the various railway acts would pertain.
I wonder if this means that an LRT crossing a provincial boundary wouldn't be required to operate under a certificate of fitness since the regulatory business is just delegated to the municipality?
From a cursory read, the NCA covers it, albeit, one wonders if it runs beyond the regional boundaries of that Act? Heavy rail crossing the Prince of Wales Bridge is of course, covered under the Transportation Act, as is the railway itself due to crossing provincial borders, let alone other factors.

It might be worth a search on-line to see what's written on that...

Last edited:

Back