News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 994     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.7K     3 

Waterloo Region Transit Developments (ION LRT, new terminal, GRT buses)

Have there been any rumblings on them getting all their trains in time? Only around 14 so shouldn't be impossible for Bombardier but they've managed to muck enough up already.

Given that they were supposed to have all trains in mid 2017 to open late 2017, I think it's unlikely.

Wasn't there a posting that Waterloo was to received a car every 15 days after 503 was Ship?? If so, that 15 day has come and gone with no 505 in sight nor 506.

No hope for a May start up of the line at this rate. With luck, the last car should show up in May.

Took someone to KW to show them the line, since they haven't been there in 20 years and wouldn't say what they thought of the line.
Dec 29
39140733094_3e70f187f0_h.jpg

39140735414_79cf2e19fd_h.jpg

28071486479_f60578b32b_h.jpg

28071487309_ac810e5c37_h.jpg

Wasn't there a posting that Waterloo was to received a car every 15 days after 503 was Ship?? If so, that 15 day has come and gone with no 505 in sight nor 506.

No hope for a May start up of the line at this rate. With luck, the last car should show up in May.

My guess is that they're aiming for a September start. Makes sense too since much of the ridership would be students.

Took someone to KW to show them the line, since they haven't been there in 20 years and wouldn't say what they thought of the line.
Dec 29
39140733094_3e70f187f0_h.jpg

39140735414_79cf2e19fd_h.jpg

28071486479_f60578b32b_h.jpg

28071487309_ac810e5c37_h.jpg
The Region has told Bombardier to hold off on deliveries until Grandlinq is ready for them.

Are they still being built, but just kept at the factory?
There's maybe 1 vehicle left at this point in the manufacturing stage. the rest are all going through testing there. 501 was sent back at the beginning of the month to be completed and should be also going through testing by now.

Given that they were supposed to have all trains in mid 2017 to open late 2017, I think it's unlikely.

Considering that the signalling systems are only now at the stage of being able to be finished and commissioned, even if they had all of the trains in the middle of last year they wouldn't have been able to open in 2017.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Will be interesting to see how the Confederation Line in Ottawa fares with the Alstom trains. If Alstom hits it out of the park why would Metrolinx even bother with Bombardier anymore?

Will be interesting to see how the Confederation Line in Ottawa fares with the Alstom trains. If Alstom hits it out of the park why would Metrolinx even bother with Bombardier anymore?

Well, there's 24 trains complete right now. You see them very often on the completed eastern section of the Confed line. The big problem here is that the giant sinkhole has thrown everything off schedule, the new opening date for the Confed line won't be known for a few weeks.

A few pics from Twitter:
https://twitter.com/LEGOGuyCA/status/942195079627894784
https://twitter.com/OttawaPro/status/933373263320879104

In their own right the Bombardier trains are performing better than regional officials expected. I have full confidence they will perform as well as or better than the Alstom trains.

the very fact that the line is 6 months late because of Bombardier means that the trains have performed poorer than Alstom.

Whoa. How is the line six months late because of Bombardier? The civil works did drag on a little, and the signalling is the slowest piece. There are enough vehicles available now to commission the line and perform pre service testing and soon training. Had they arrived sooner, the line wasn't ready for them.

I am not defending Bombardier's performance elsewhere, but that non-performance doesn't necessarily apply here. The facts in each situation are different. Credit where it's due, blame where it's due, but don't tar one situation with another's brush.

- Paul

Whoa. How is the line six months late because of Bombardier? The civil works did drag on a little, and the signalling is the slowest piece. There are enough vehicles available now to commission the line and perform pre service testing and soon training. Had they arrived sooner, the line wasn't ready for them.

I am not defending Bombardier's performance elsewhere, but that non-performance doesn't necessarily apply here. The facts in each situation are different. Credit where it's due, blame where it's due, but don't tar one situation with another's brush.

- Paul
I think if the cars arrived earlier, it would push the project to complete construction faster. The fact that the cars arrived late may have caused construction to slow down. This may have the same impact as the Eglinton Crosstown, where Bombardier said that Metrolinx didn't have anywhere to put the cars, so they are building slower, which may have been an excuse.

Last edited:
Reactions: jys

Back