News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.4K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 845     0 

Waterloo Region Transit Developments (ION LRT, new terminal, GRT buses)

In the CTV story they said it wouldn't be unloaded until the new year. I wonder what the trade off is between private security to prevent vandalism and calling in a skeleton crew to offload it during the holidays?

Ontario will still insist that BBD has not delivered a functional vehicle yet when they go to court!

Where is Ontario going to use 182 vehicles + 61 Alstrom. The Liberals bought way too many vehicles, didn't get the terms of the contract right (i.e. late fines) and then thought our money was poker chips and doubled down. Another boondoggle.
Bombardier delay and contract messups nonwithstanding, 182 vehicles + 61 Alstom is not nearly enough.

We're going to begin building/approving new LRTs faster than they arrive. Even the conservatives are unwilling to cancel an LRT to land up with a "too many vehicles" boondoggle.

Bombardier delay and contract messups nonwithstanding, 182 vehicles + 61 Alstom is not nearly enough.

We're going to begin building/approving new LRTs faster than they arrive. Even the conservatives are unwilling to cancel an LRT to land up with a "too many vehicles" boondoggle.
76 + 61 Alstom vehicles, after today's announcement

My impression is that going forward, Metrolinx wants vehicles to be part of the PPP tenders for each line, so that even if we're short vehicles for future lines, those would be part of the design-built-operate contracts. Makes more sense if everything else on those lines is to be contracted out.

76 + 61 Alstom vehicles, after today's announcement

Looks like this order is meeting what has already been planned 76 Bombardier for the Crosstown, Alstrom is split to 17 Finch and 44 Hurontario and that's all she wrote. No vehicles ordered for other lines.

Looks like this order is meeting what has already been planned 76 Bombardier for the Crosstown, Alstrom is split to 17 Finch and 44 Hurontario and that's all she wrote. No vehicles ordered for other lines.
In this story when the Alstom order was placed it said 17 for Finch and "The other 44 will be used for the Eglinton Crosstown if Bombardier is unable to deliver. If the company comes through, those Alstom vehicles will be used for other projects, including the Hurontario LRT "

I can't imagine Hurontario would need as many vehicles as Crosstown....so even with Finch and HuLRT....wouldn't there be some left over?

http://toronto.citynews.ca/2017/05/11/metrolinx-buy-lrt-vehicles-alstom-shot-bombardier/

My impression is that going forward, Metrolinx wants vehicles to be part of the PPP tenders for each line, so that even if we're short vehicles for future lines, those would be part of the design-built-operate contracts. Makes more sense if everything else on those lines is to be contracted out.

That's appropriate. If they're tendering to include 30 years maintenance then vehicles need to be turned over at that point anyway.

Any tender for continued operations/maintenance of the line could include the new operator buying their own fleet.

In this story when the Alstom order was placed it said 17 for Finch and "The other 44 will be used for the Eglinton Crosstown if Bombardier is unable to deliver. If the company comes through, those Alstom vehicles will be used for other projects, including the Hurontario LRT "

I can't imagine Hurontario would need as many vehicles as Crosstown....so even with Finch and HuLRT....wouldn't there be some left over?

http://toronto.citynews.ca/2017/05/11/metrolinx-buy-lrt-vehicles-alstom-shot-bombardier/

The article I had read was from the Star and I had to reread it because that number seemed really high to me. Although that is what I read, I agree that logically I would not expect the HuLRT to use that many vehicles.

^
Bombardier said in a statement that it is “ready, able and willing” to deliver the vehicles on time.

“As the minister and Metrolinx are well aware, these vehicles can be ready ahead of schedule and well before a single track has even been laid on the Eglinton Crosstown,” the company said, adding it is producing identical vehicles for the Region of Waterloo that will be delivered by the end of the year.

“We’ve met each and every major LRV delivery milestone in the last eight months and the proof will be in the performance of these vehicles in Waterloo and on Eglinton,” the company wrote. “We have addressed the issues raised in the past and we are confident this will be upheld in the dispute resolution process.”
"the proof" indeed...

I just visited Waterloo this week and can barely believe what a transformation the city has seen in 5-10 years. Pretty cool to see LRT stations/platforms all around town. Can't wait to ride it around town next time I visit.

Are there plans for any future routes other than King Street?

I just visited Waterloo this week and can barely believe what a transformation the city has seen in 5-10 years. Pretty cool to see LRT stations/platforms all around town. Can't wait to ride it around town next time I visit.

Are there plans for any future routes other than King Street?

Short answer: no. Long answer: look back a few pages in this thread.

Back