News   Jul 12, 2024
 881     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 790     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 330     0 

Waterloo Region Transit Developments (ION LRT, new terminal, GRT buses)

My understanding (from memory) is that 12 are required to operate the line at peak with 2 held back for training/reserve.

According to Waterloo Regional Councillor Tom Galloway on 570News' Mike Farwell show yesterday, delivery of the second vehicle will now take place in October.

Looking more and more likely that I'll win my bet about Ottawa's Confederation Line beating Ion into service.

Looking more and more likely that I'll win my bet about Ottawa's Confederation Line beating Ion into service.

The question is whether their Phase 2, scheduled to open 2022/23, will beat Ion phase 1 ;)

Seriously though, Bombardier is awful. Back in 2014/2015 when this project started, since I was living in downtown Toronto and very avidly following the streetcar deliveries, I raised the concern that Waterloo would end up with a completed LRT network and no trains to run it for 6-12 months at least. People laughed at me. Well, who's laughing now? (Nobody aside from BBD execs...)

I don't really see any reason why they wouldn't they started construction before Ion did and they didn't sign a deal with Metrolinx to procure their cars. Metrolinx then, of course, has had so many thing changed on them since they ordered them that Ion now has to go through the test and adjust period that they didn't plan on in the beginning.

I don't really see any reason why they wouldn't they started construction before Ion did

Sure. But Ottawa has had a much more complex and expensive build, with the tunnel through the city centre. And Ottawa was scheduled to open later, by is now running neck and neck. What's incredible here is that Ottawa was actually set back a few months by the sinkhole on Rideau St. Otherwise, it's very realistic that Ottawa actually might have had their system in service before KWC.

Sure. But Ottawa has had a much more complex and expensive build, with the tunnel through the city centre. And Ottawa was scheduled to open later, by is now running neck and neck. What's incredible here is that Ottawa was actually set back a few months by the sinkhole on Rideau St. Otherwise, it's very realistic that Ottawa actually might have had their system in service before KWC.
It just goes to show you that putting faith in metrolinx to deliver on time is a bad idea.

It just goes to show you that putting faith in metrolinx to deliver on time is a bad idea.

How so? Ion has in no way been delayed by Metrolinx. They have been delayed by Bombardier.

Yes, they piggybacked onto Metrolinx's contract, but Metrolinx is in no way the cause of the delay--hell, Metrolinx is pissed at Bombardier because their own cars are delayed.

That's like preordering a book from Amazon, then the author doesn't write the book on time, so you complain to your credit card company that it's their fault you didn't get the book on time. ???

I fail to see what Metrolinx did wrong. Aggregating orders was actually a good thing. Good prices for the whole region for economy of scale. Nobody could have known in advance how badly Bombardier would screw up. And to be fair, I don't even think Bombardier knew!

I fail to see what Metrolinx did wrong. Aggregating orders was actually a good thing. Good prices for the whole region for economy of scale. Nobody could have known in advance how badly Bombardier would screw up. And to be fair, I don't even think Bombardier knew!
Nope Toronto city council and it's endless gong show of cancelled and changed lrt projects are more to blame for late deliveries of the lrt for this project. Metrolinx also bit off way more than they can chew trying to do so many projects at once and having no experience what so ever in them. Metrolinx continued to make changes to the order that deleyed production but they don't want to take any blame so they want to blame bombardier because they are already taking the blame for the TTC Streetcars.

The problem now isn't assembly of the vehicles. The vehicle assembly is going largely according to the revised schedule. The problem now is the integration with the signalling system that was chosen by Grandlinq.

The problem now isn't assembly of the vehicles. The vehicle assembly is going largely according to the revised schedule. The problem now is the integration with the signalling system that was chosen by Grandlinq.

What's the issue that they have with integration? And why is it happening now?

Back