News   Mar 28, 2024
 968     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 543     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 838     0 

Waterfront Transit Reset Phase 1 Study

How should Toronto connect the East and West arms of the planned waterfront transit with downtown?

• Expand the existing Union loop

Votes: 199 73.2%
  • Build a Western terminus

Votes: 10 3.7%
  • Route service along Queen's Quay with pedestrian/cycle/bus connection to Union

Votes: 28 10.3%
  • Connect using existing Queen's Quay/Union Loop and via King Street

Votes: 19 7.0%
  • Other

Votes: 16 5.9%

• Total voters
As it is proposed as an on-road loop this would seem to be their intention.
It allows land to be develop over time and not waisted for a loop or a cost to built it only remove it at a later date.. See nothing wrong on this approach with WT coming with that idea as it beyond TTC and the city thinking.

It also nice to see grass going into the ROW that long over due on other ones.

Oh the horrors! Grass on the streetcar right-of-way! Wait till we hear the excuse from the Transportation Department not to put in grass. Like excuse why we can't have grass on The Queensway right-of-way.

There is grass on the Eglinton Crosstown ROW Walter.

Times are changing.

There is grass on the Eglinton Crosstown ROW Walter.

Times are changing.
We wanted grass on the St. Clair right-of-way, but the excuse was that emergency vehicles needed somewhere to bypass the single-occupant vehicles.

If we have dual-direction cycling lanes, the emergency vehicles would use that.

It will be interesting to see how well the miles of sprinkler system manages the first -25C cold snap. I wonder what their winterization system looks like.

Are you sure there are sprinklers? When it first went in, they used water trucks to water it in..............

Are you sure there are sprinklers? When it first went in, they used water trucks to water it in..............
Perhaps they didn't have the irrigation system running yet. Or needed excess water.

Metrolinx says that each "section will include irrigation chambers, water supply, and an energy supply to power the irrigation system."

Yes there are sprinklers of Eglinton and I have seen them first hand in action as well being shots shown it in the Crosstown thread

Here's a brilliant idea: cancel the Eglinton East LRT, and build the whole line all the way to Leslie Barns. Why the insistence on building this out piecemeal is beyond me.

I would consider using the Eg East accumulated funds to do the Union loop expansion. After that, adding the streetcar tracks on QQ East should not be too difficult.

It will be interesting to see how well the miles of sprinkler system manages the first -25C cold snap. I wonder what their winterization system looks like.

But do we need to sprinkle the grass at -25C?

Maybe they have a way of emptying the pipes in the beginning of the cold season, and then it is just a set of empty steel pipes till the next spring.

But do we need to sprinkle the grass at -25C?

Maybe they have a way of emptying the pipes in the beginning of the cold season, and then it is just a set of empty steel pipes till the next spring.
Yes, that's exactly what they do. They blow compressed air through the pipes in the fall.

I would consider using the Eg East accumulated funds to do the Union loop expansion. After that, adding the streetcar tracks on QQ East should not be too difficult.
And what do you do as they built the QQE road for the area that supposed to be the ROW?? You realize the cost to build the loop is the lion share for the extension in the first place with many unknows that can jack the cost higher??

Far cheaper and quicker to rebuild the portal area including the extension section and continue on the ROW while leaving it to TTC to do it on their dime as well timeline. You got an east-west line going into the Portland/Lower Don area sooner than later. It stay in line with having transit first than having more cars as well lets wait tell the demand is there to build LRT like it been with TTC for over 50 years.

And what do you do as they built the QQE road for the area that supposed to be the ROW?? You realize the cost to build the loop is the lion share for the extension in the first place with many unknows that can jack the cost higher??

Far cheaper and quicker to rebuild the portal area including the extension section and continue on the ROW while leaving it to TTC to do it on their dime as well timeline. You got an east-west line going into the Portland/Lower Don area sooner than later. It stay in line with having transit first than having more cars as well lets wait tell the demand is there to build LRT like it been with TTC for over 50 years.

OK.
I thought the cost of expanding the Union loop is the main blocker for Waterfront East LRT. But maybe there are other tricky parts as well.

OK.
I thought the cost of expanding the Union loop is the main blocker for Waterfront East LRT. But maybe there are other tricky parts as well.
Its an yes and no answer.

Yes, its a stopper for having riders to catch the 509 and 510 at Union loop, but can catch a bus to get to QQW as well the 509 route.

No. If the QQE is built first up to the new portal, this allows service to Union Loop to remain in service. As the QQE nears the new portal area, TTC then shuts down service to Union and tear up the existing portal to built the T connection and the QQE portal.

There are 2 options from my point of view to do the work and there is an extra 6-9+ months time line to do the work. The longer time line is to the full portal and the work to get service inside of the Bay tunnel for a short distance. Once done, the Bay Tunnel is close off to allow work in the tunnel as well the loop

The shorter time line would see TTC build the east portal up as close it can get to the existing one, then tear it down when the line is shut down. You then do the work to connect both portals as well the tunnel work. By the time the work is done, QQE is ready to be open as an e-w line. It will also reduce the distance for riders to get to/from Union as well to/From QQE/QQW.

As I stated, then TTC can do what they have to do with the tunnel as well the loop on their own schedule with no interfering with the QQ line. The city wants to tide the tunnel work with the work plan for Bay St and being on its own, does not effect service on QQ line.

Stand to be corrected, 2024 will see the Bay St ramp close for the Gardiner so the new Yonge St off ramp can be rebuilt along with the removal of the Jarvis off ramp. It will allow the new intersection for the Lake Shore as well giving lane to the One Yonge St project to built the final tower for it. The City has the option to do the Bay St work then or defer until work starts on the tunnel work.

If work can start on the QQE section in 2024, the new line could be in service by 2027/28. Since design is supposed to be at 30% now, the rest of the year could see design at 100% with a short tendering in Q1 of 2024. The longer it takes to get to tender stage, further down the road the opening of the line will push to.

Back