News   Apr 26, 2024
 940     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 261     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 771     0 

Waterfront: Lower Yonge Precinct Plan

Personally, I'm not a fan of the smell. I'd rather be smelling the lake, but I'd be happy if they just gave the place a paint job and spruced up the grounds.

What:confused:, have you been down there around May/June when tons of dead smelts-carp wash up to shore, due to the quick rise of water temperature, any other time it smells like rotting algae......just reeks:(
Give me brown sugar anyday

lol :) I live in the area, so I know. It smells like lake, and yes, the algae is part of it. It's a natural smell though, and somewhat reminiscent of cottage country. The sugar factory on the other hand reminds me of someone wearing just a little bit too much perfume... nice when you can just barely smell it, but cloying and unpleasant when it gets too strong.

From the April 2013 WaterfronToronto newsletter:

"Lower Yonge: Urban Design Guidelines and Transportation Master Plan
Waterfront Toronto and the City of Toronto will be undertaking two studies in the Lower Yonge Precinct: an Urban Design Guidelines study and a Transportation Master Plan Environmental Assessment (EA). Located between Yonge Street and Lower Jarvis Street, south of Lake Shore Boulevard and north of Queens Quay East, the Lower Yonge area encompasses about 9 hectares (22 acres) of prime waterfront land.

When complete, the studies will be used to inform the development of a Lower Yonge Precinct Plan led by the City of Toronto. The goal of this work is to provide Waterfront Toronto and the City of Toronto with the planning context required to develop policy and review development applications for these prime waterfront lands.

The Urban Design Guidelines will include direction on blocks, streets, parks and public realm. It will also set out requirements for building form and how buildings are arranged. The Transportation Master Plan EA will develop the framework for the transportation infrastructure required to support the development of the Lower Yonge Precinct. The section of Harbour Street from Lower Simcoe to Yonge Street will also be considered.

Public consultation is an important part of this work. A public meeting, planned for late-May, will give neighbouring residents, businesses and other interested parties an opportunity to learn more about the project and provide feedback to the team. Meeting details will be posted in our calendar when available.
"

Was there any discussion of transit at the session last night? I am afraid that without proper transit (presumably the promised but unfunded LRT on Queen's Quay East) none of this development will really work.

Was there any discussion of transit at the session last night? I am afraid that without proper transit (presumably the promised but unfunded LRT on Queen's Quay East) none of this development will really work.

Yes there was to the point it was front and centre.

There is still talk that buses will do the job until funds are found for the LRT.

From my point of view, this issue needs to start with TTC since there vision is out dated back in 2006. Then the city needs to realize that Bay St is a traffic nightmare to the point pedestrians out number the cars in the first place that the current sidewalk is too narrow.

Since there been some talk about removing a lane of traffic so sidewalks can be made wider, time to close it south of Queen St. Doing this would allow TTC to put LRT on the surface for a faction of the loop cost as well taking pressure off the Yonge line. This would require Bay St to see tracks again to Bloor St, but would require TTC 2 have duel ends cars for the line as there is no place north of Bloor where a loop could be built.

There there was a call to convert LBCO building to a school as well creating a large park.

The next iteration of the Lower Yonge Precinct Plan plus the transportation strategy are coming to TEYCC in mid-August. Report not yet online but it's coming. See: http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2014/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-72288.pdf
Apparently they have finally decided that buses on Queens Quay East are not a feasible option as there is no adequate way to get them to the subway so the QQE LRT is the "only" possibility. Let's hope this gives that plan the final push to get on with it - the QQE developments will really not take off (certainly not the office part) until there is MUCH better transit connectivity.

Good news then, QQE LRT to Portlands is sorely needed to speed up development.

Just received an email update from WT:

Project Update Notice: Lower Yonge Precinct
http://blog.waterfrontoronto.ca/nbe...424s0j8bsc0akt8fgb63145/lower+yonge+update+01

Over the past year, Waterfront Toronto and the City of Toronto have completed two studies which create the foundation for the Lower Yonge Precinct Plan: an Urban Design Report: Principles and Recommendations and a Transportation Master Plan Environmental Assessment (Phases 1 and 2). These studies – which were guided by comments from stakeholders and members of the public – set out a structure for the revitalization of the Lower Yonge precinct.

On August 12, Waterfront Toronto and the City of Toronto will provide an update on the Lower Yonge Precinct Plan to Toronto East York Community Council. Please take a few minutes to review Lower Yonge Update: Planning a New Waterfront Precinct which includes new artist’s renderings for the neighbourhood and provides links to the full Urban Design Report and the Transportation Master Plan.

If you wish to submit written comments about this project to Toronto East York Community Council, please forward them to the City Clerk, attention: Rosalind Dyers, Administrator, Toronto and East York Community Council, 100 Quessent Street West, 2 WT, Toronto, ON M5H 2N2, or by e-mail to teycc@toronto.ca

Back