News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 660     1 

Watching HDTV using antennae.

euges720

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hi guys, I live in Cityplace, right next to the CN Tower. I have a TV tuner card for my PC, and a HDTV antenna (Belkin, $9.99 from Factory Direct), but I only get CFTO, OMNI 1, and OMNI 2 for my HDTV channels (along with a few analog ones). I tried using different TV programs on my PC, but still the same. I'm wondering if others are more successful at getting more HDTV channels? Maybe it's my HDTV antenna, which I know is not the "best", but me being this close to the CN Tower, I thought it would be more than sufficient. Thanks.

With an indoor antenna:
An indoor antenna will usually pull in only those local channels as shown in bold on the channel list. During warm clear weather, a few other channels may be pulled in, especially if they are faint the rest of the time.

Reception:
If you are used to cable's signal, you will be impressed with an outdoor antenna signal for Toronto, Hamilton and Buffalo-Grand Island stations. These will be far clearer and sharper than what you've been paying for with cable. Generally, reception quality will fade with distance from the transmitter, or due to intervening hills or other obstructions. Depending where you are located in Toronto, about 25 channels will give you excellent to adequate reception throughout the year, with up to 25 more channels varying from excellent to poor reception during warm clear weather. Indoor antenna users will be limited to about 15 channels.

Review this article for more info: http://freetoronto.tv/

With an indoor antenna:
An indoor antenna will usually pull in only those local channels as shown in bold on the channel list. During warm clear weather, a few other channels may be pulled in, especially if they are faint the rest of the time.

Reception:
If you are used to cable's signal, you will be impressed with an outdoor antenna signal for Toronto, Hamilton and Buffalo-Grand Island stations. These will be far clearer and sharper than what you've been paying for with cable. Generally, reception quality will fade with distance from the transmitter, or due to intervening hills or other obstructions. Depending where you are located in Toronto, about 25 channels will give you excellent to adequate reception throughout the year, with up to 25 more channels varying from excellent to poor reception during warm clear weather. Indoor antenna users will be limited to about 15 channels.

Review this article for more info: http://freetoronto.tv/

Confuse me?

Being right next to the CN Tower isn't the greatest location for getting TV or radio signals as those signals may go right over you (the broadcasting equipment in the tower is pointed out, not down, where you are).

There's no such thing as an HDTV antenna. That's just marketing. They're the same as any, old UHF antenna.

In Leslieville I was able to consistently get CBC, CTV, OMNI 1, and OMNI 2 in HD with an amplified "bunny ears" antenna.

My father has a old rooftop antenna pointing at the CN Tower, and gets HD TV for free. We bought him a digital HD TV, no cable.

Why does a digital cable receiver costs about $100 while a digital HD cable receiver costs about $250? Especially since we can get off-the-air HD for free. Does one need a receiver if we get a digital HD TV? Can't we bypass the receiver and just plug it in to the cable?

Most newer televisions include ATSC (modulation used by over-the-air) and QAM (cable) tuners. If you have any type of digital cable subscription, you could bypass the receiver, but there isn't much to watch besides the Galaxie/FM radio channels. Rogers and most other MSOs encrypt channel streams so only network-authorized devices (a cable box rented/sold by them) will decrypt that data and display it your screen. This makes complete sense to use on non-free premium and specialty channels to decrease your-average-joe television piracy, however, for some reason, Rogers also likes to encrypt channels which are equally available over-the-air.

Last edited:
... however, for some reason, Rogers also likes to encrypt channels which are equally available over-the-air.
Presumably that's to foil people simply stealing the cable signal, rather that customers who just stick it straight in the TV. It's not difficult to open the junction box on your house and get the cable signal your not paying for. As Rogers slowly switches to all-digital, that will eliminate that practice.

Back