News   Jul 05, 2024
 2.7K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.8K     13 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 665     0 

Wanted: World-class nickname for Toronto

you better copyright that! i think it's a winner!
He just did. Once it's posted publicly, you own it. Gary Larsen of The Far Side wrote that when he started out he would copyright his cartoons by simply folding the cartoon, and mailing them to himself, and then keeping the post office stamp as proof of date.

He just did. Once it's posted publicly, you own it. Gary Larsen of The Far Side wrote that when he started out he would copyright his cartoons by simply folding the cartoon, and mailing them to himself, and then keeping the post office stamp as proof of date.

i heard of the post office thing too.

I'm not sure if this would violate any academic honesty policies but 'Toronto - The Global Village' would work on a number of levels. For starters, Marshall McLuhan is probably one of the more famous thinkers to come out of Toronto, it would be neat to use local brains (though, in a completely different context). The 'Global' part implies both the diversity and cosmopolitanism of Toronto and it's status as a city of global status without venturing into the hackneyed territory of 'world class city' and 'world's most diverse city. The 'Village' could reflect both Toronto's perception of being a collection of villages/neighbourhoods (both in good ways, and bad) and it's relative quaintness relative to gigacities like London or Tokyo.

Except when it comes to the Toronto 2020 thing what he's looking for is a trademark, and you have to register those for them to be of any use. Copyright is for stuff like books, art, music, etc.

Not to go OT, but I can copyright/TM something including the Olympics logo?

from wikipedia:

The Olympic Movement is very protective of its symbols; among other things, it claims an exclusive copyright on any arrangement of five rings, irrespective of alignment, color or lack thereof, as well as to any use of the word Olympic. They have taken action against numerous groups seen to have violated this trademark, including the Minneapolis, Minnesota-based band The Hopefuls (formerly The Olympic Hopefuls), Awana Clubs International, a Christian youth ministry who used the term for its competitive games, and Wizards of the Coast, publisher at the time of the IOC's complaint of the card game Legend of the Five Rings and others. But a few companies have been successful in using the Olympic name, such as Olympic Paint, which even has a paintbrush in the form of a torch as its logo.

OOOOO <---- those aren't rings. they're the 15th letter of the latin alphabet repeated 5 times. it's the five-o.

make your design for your own personal use & have a way to prove its date of creation.

Already taken

As someone who has been following Olympic Bids for a very long time, I can tell you that the idea of incoporating Toronto with the year 2020 into the Olympics rings has already been thought of a long time ago.

Louroz

Not to go OT, but I can copyright/TM something including the Olympics logo?
I spend at least several hours a month on trademark and copyright matters in my role as marketing/product manager for a large consumer product manufacturer. Right now, we're working to make sure our trademarks do not enter into common usage, like "escalator", which used to be a protected trademark of Otis Elevator and like how "zipper" used to be a trademark of BF Goodrich, once your trademark becomes common usage for the general category of the product, you lose all protection and rights. That's why Kimberly-Clarke always sues or protests whenever anyone uses the word Kleenex in a commercial fashion (such as a sign, advertisement, etc.) to refer to facial tissue.

As for a new trademark, you stand the best chance if its a made up work like Zipper was. American Airlines, for example is a terrible trademark, since their only protection is in the use of the two words together. Anyone can make a Pan American Airlines, for example.

Toronto's more than just a motto
Vinay Menon

"People in this city are so uptight."

It was a Friday evening and I was repairing at Proof The Vodka Bar, inside the Intercontinental on Bloor Street. Waiting for my wife, who works across the street at the Royal Ontario Museum, my ears oriented toward the conversation radiating from the mahogany bar.

Two young interlopers were perched on stools, laughing and cracking wise about our beloved city.

In town for the AC/DC concert, they communicated at a thunderstruck decibel level, pausing only to sip beers and flirt with the bemused female bartender.

After Dude No. 1 let fly with the "uptight" comment, Dude No. 2 nodded silently. Then he asked the bartender: "Why are people here always talking on their cellphones?"

One of the great things about drinking in a hotel is that, from time to time, you can eavesdrop on tourists and marvel at the disjointed, ephemeral and odd observations.

"The taxis here aren't all the same colour," a visitor might remark, clearly surprised. "And neither is the money!"

"We must travel on this four hundred and one highway tomorrow," a sightseer might say, glancing up from the pages of Fodor's. "Do you think there's time to go to Montreal for brunch before the Spamalot matinee?"

All of this is a rather circuitous way of entering today's discussion. Allow me now to reprint the headline and subhead from a story in the Sunday Star: "Wanted: World-class nickname for Toronto. For this city to market itself globally, it needs to find an identity that is easily understood."

Reading this story, and recalling the judgmental, half-soused dudes at the Intercontinental, I felt a surge of sympathy for the people tasked with promoting our city.

How do you accurately distill Toronto's personality into a nickname, slogan or catchphrase? How do you express our "core story" with a key message?

Over the years, let's see, Toronto has been known as "Hogtown," "The Big Smoke," "T-dot," and "T.O."

Recent tourist, marketing, ad campaigns or naming competitions have yielded unremarkable tag lines such as "World Within a City," "Live With Culture," and "Picture It Your Way".

"You Belong Here" was a post-SARS motto that somehow sounded like something you might hear after joining a cult.

Depending on your age, you may recall being encouraged to "Discover the Feeling!" This shouldn't have been difficult since "Toronto the Good" was also "Toronto the Exciting City."

In 2005, the brand "Toronto Unlimited" was unveiled, the culmination of a 13-month process that cost $4 million.

I mean, honestly.

I could have come up with "Toronto Infinity" or some such in one day and for 100 bucks.

The sad truth is, when politicians, marketers and pricey consultants join forces to brand a region, the results are usually embarrassing to locals.

No offence to the good people of Eagle Pass, Texas, but I'm not inspired to book a flight after hearing, "Where Yee-Ha Meets Olé." And why do I care if Baltimore is "The City That Reads" or if Lafayette is the "Third Oldest City in Oregon"?

Torontonians love to complain. So if you asked a random stranger to come up with a new slogan, you'd probably hear something like, "Toronto: Bring Your Own Plastic Bags." Or, "Toronto: Come For The Potholes, Stay For The Rush Hour." Or, "Toronto: No Chance of Getting Injured During a Stanley Cup Parade."

But leaving aside our whining, inferiority complex and identity crises, Toronto has much to offer. And it could offer so much more. Assuming, that is, the people in charge cared more about building a better city instead of coining a catchy nickname.

Source

So, true, I mean why do we even need this nickname??? If we build a city that everyone will want to come to, there's no need to try to brand it, it will do it itself! I mean seriously, can someone please tell me NY's slogan?? Paris?? London?? Of course not, they don't have one because world-class cities are different to different people.

So, true, I mean why do we even need this nickname??? If we build a city that everyone will want to come to, there's no need to try to brand it, it will do it itself! I mean seriously, can someone please tell me NY's slogan?? Paris?? London?? Of course not, they don't have one because world-class cities are different to different people.

NYC? The Big Apple...
Paris? City of Light...

Swinging London.

Just like having nicknames as kids, they should be something you earn - good or bad. Hogtown was appropriate when Toronto was the centre of agricultural trading. Toronto the good when the city was a paragon of morality. "New York run by the Swiss" was a great compliment when the city was actually working that way. Unfortunately, we rested on the latter accolade for a while. As a result today we've become Toronto the Insecure, constantly needing compliments to re-assure us that we're still as good as we used to be.

What we need to is get back to civic building. And then we'll earn a nickname we can be proud of. It's not just transit. It's getting citizens to pick up trash (and not litter). It's getting citizens to be more friendly to tourists, etc. Every foreign visitor I have hosted always comment on how gracious, polite and kind Canadians are. My personal point of pride is how Torontonians respond to someone who stands in front of a subway map with a confused look on their face. Sadly, Toronto seems to have lost some of that kindness in recent years.... Let's work to get that back. All the LRTs and museums and art galleries and swank condos won't win you a rep without good people to sell it.

Back