News   Aug 06, 2024
 1.4K     3 
News   Aug 06, 2024
 1.3K     3 
News   Aug 06, 2024
 604     0 

Wal-Mart downtown Toronto?

I love seeing a commenter do this, doubling down on a uninformed, gratuitously unkind remark because they have a horror of admitting they screwed up. I love watching them flail, trying to claim that the whole time they were really saying something else but everyone failed to understand, despite everyone being able to see their comment history. Please continue. Try to work in some Ayn Rand too.

Like I said...take your straw man argument elsewhere.

A: I am not bashing "poor people" (by most standards, I am one)....I was bashing Walmart (and by association, those that shop at Walmart).

B: I don't care when you aren't aware of when I'm joking or not joking.

Please try to stay on topic, or you may end up being sorry with your personal attacks.

Like I said...take your straw man argument elsewhere.

A: I am not bashing "poor people" (by most standards, I am one)....I was bashing Walmart (and by association, those that shop at Walmart).

B: I don't care when you aren't aware of when I'm joking or not joking.

Please try to stay on topic, or you may end up being sorry with your personal attacks.

You dropped this gem: Whatever Walmart shoppers may save is just blown on scratch cards anyway. Plus that stuff about poor lifestyle choices being the cause of poverty. So yeah, uninformed and gratuitously unkind.

And this bit: "you may end up being sorry with your personal attacks" sounds like a threat. An empty one, obviously. I'm shivering over here.

How is bashing people who shop at Walmart "on topic" again? Pot, meet kettle.

Carry on.

Freshcutgrass wrote:
Try actually understanding what I write.
I have no problem understanding what you write, I just don't understand why you write it.

You dropped this gem: Whatever Walmart shoppers may save is just blown on scratch cards anyway.

Yes...I was making fun of Walmart shoppers by creating a stereotype. Be offended all you like by my humour....just don't equate it with any lack of compassion or concern for those who may be going hungry or homeless.

And this bit: "you may end up being sorry with your personal attacks" sounds like a threat. An empty one, obviously. I'm shivering over here.

How very school yard of you. Make all the personal attacks you like...I'm not a mod, so it isn't a threat by me...I'm just saying people who do that run the risk of being banned. But more more importantly, it's a fallacious way to debate a topic.

How is bashing people who shop at Walmart "on topic" again?

Because the topic is Walmart??????

What do the homeless or people who rely on food shelters have to do with the topic....they don't shop at Walmart.

The junk merchant doesn't sell his product to the consumer, he sells the consumer to his product. He does not improve and simplify his merchandise. He degrades and simplifies the client.
William S. Burroughs

There are too many stereotypes of Wal◊Mart shoppers, and most of them are from the U.S.

Shopping does not make you a stereotype.

We buy peanut butter, milk, and at times clothes, for the most part. If people choose to live in Wal◊Mart, then that's their business.

Back to the topic... I for one don't see the problem with a mall opening at Bathurst, it's not like they are plopping something down at Augusta or Bellevue. The Wal◊Mart "effect" of killing "mom & pops" is overrated, especially in urban environments with high walkability scores. As I posted before, one stop shopping is the draw, but that works best with a car, and you are buying carts full of stuff.

If a Canadian Tire opened up in the space would the same effort be used? I don't think there would be, even though Canadian Tire is also a "big box store".

IMHO, Kensington wants to protect itself economically, nothing wrong with that, just be honest about it, not use the culture as an excuse.

P.S. I have signed the petition against the current plans.

They protested the Nike Store and Loblaws as well. The Kensington community is very welcoming to retailers - even competitors - so long as they are competing on a level playing field.

There are too many stereotypes of Wal◊Mart shoppers, and most of them are from the U.S.

The only difference is that in Canadian Walmarts, the security guards can't gun you down in the parking lot for suspected shoplifting.

There's really only one reason people shop at Walmart, and that's because they think they are going to save money by doing so. But it's that "I'm gonna save a nickel " mentality. And that's why I can't walk into a Walmart...that mentality is so palpable it's depressing.

Walmart shoppers have a victim mentality. You know how they say that being broke is just being short of funds, while being poor is a state of mind.

The only difference is that in Canadian Walmarts, the security guards can't gun you down in the parking lot for suspected shoplifting.

There's really only one reason people shop at Walmart, and that's because they think they are going to save money by doing so. But it's that "I'm gonna save a nickel " mentality. And that's why I can't walk into a Walmart...that mentality is so palpable it's depressing.

Walmart shoppers have a victim mentality. You know how they say that being broke is just being short of funds, while being poor is a state of mind.

You're still at this? Taken seriously, it's offensive. Taken as humour, it's lame.

BTW, Copernicus, you were the one threatening me, with your "you'll be sorry" remark, not the other way around.

You're still at this?

Yes I am. And I will continue to criticize Walmart until I'm blue in the face if it suits me, and I don't care how much you don't like it. If there is a point you want to debate, then fire away, but the personal insults won't do you any good.

Back