News   Sep 18, 2024
 1.3K     6 
News   Sep 18, 2024
 626     0 
News   Sep 18, 2024
 646     1 

VMC New Office Building ( SmartCentres, ?s, ?)

innsertnamehere

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Smartcentres had the following image in their Q2 investers presentation.. It appears to be the proposed 600k office building they are planning for VMC at the northeast corner of Apple Mill and Millway. I count 26 floors. I believe this would become the tallest office building in both the 905 and Toronto outside of downtown, surpassing One City Centre Drive in Mississauga (78m) the Nestle building in NYCC (100m).

VMC Office.JPG

Last edited:
Smartcentres had the following image in their Q2 investers presentation.. It appears to be the proposed 600k office building they are planning for VMC at the northeast corner of Apple Mill and Millway. I count 26 floors. I believe this would become the tallest office building in both the 905 and Toronto outside of downtown, surpassing One City Centre Drive in Mississauga (78m) the Nestle building in NYCC (100m).

View attachment 213822

This is great to see. Though the residential boom in VMC has been excellent, but some office space will really tie the area together. Great location too right near the subway.

It's not a complete wow, but it really isn't bad at all, and in fact, some features are quite fetching. Considering the location, this is an enormous improvement. If the market will support it, go for it!

So in a brand new neighbourhood that will already be starved for street life, they are... building an atrium building? So that the office workers can spend all the time inside?
I wouldn’t say that. An atrium hardly reduces pedestrian trips to outside. It provides a source of natural light and grandeur in a building with extremely large floor plates, but in what scenario do you see a pedestrian not making a trip outside just because there is a large vaulted space inside? They are still going to prefer the park to eat lunch in the summer, they are still going to need to leave the building to get to the subway, to buy lunch, to walk home to their nearby apartment.

I wouldn’t say that. An atrium hardly reduces pedestrian trips to outside. It provides a source of natural light and grandeur in a building with extremely large floor plates, but in what scenario do you see a pedestrian not making a trip outside just because there is a large vaulted space inside? They are still going to prefer the park to eat lunch in the summer, they are still going to need to leave the building to get to the subway, to buy lunch, to walk home to their nearby apartment.
Given how windswept the area is, I can't imagine office workers wanting to spend more time outside during the non-summer months than they have to anyway.
If that’s true, then this place is an utter failure.

There are plenty of atrium buildings in downtown Toronto (not to mention the Path) so there is no reason why Vaughn shouldn't have one. The place is never going to be a hotbed for street life--especially in the winter.

There are plenty of atrium buildings in downtown Toronto (not to mention the Path) so there is no reason why Vaughn shouldn't have one. The place is never going to be a hotbed for street life--especially in the winter.
...and those buildings are terrible. The PATH is poisonous to street life. Downtown Vaughan can’t afford to sabotage itself in this way.

I figured Vaughan would come ahead in the competition for the first major new office tower in the 905 outside of Toronto. This tower, as well as the Promenade Park Towers office phase, are a fantastic looking couple of proposals. Just goes to show exactly how important a major rapid transit connection is for Toronto's satellite cities in regards to commercial development.

Back