News   Apr 19, 2024
 360     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 566     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 947     3 

VIA Rail

Was true? That surely is still where much of that corn grown locally goes. It's not for human consumption, and I don't think they need THAT much for livestock.

Yes. Corn is used for ethanol.

What do they use for biofuel then - I'd just assumed it was corn.

Biofuels are way more than ethanol. And what is used is dependent on what is grown in the region. This can range from sugarcane to switchblade grass. Increasingly even algae. But in the case of Canada, the plan is to use canola. We've got a surplus of it. And the vegetable oil market really doesn't yield that much. Not to mention the health concerns with seed oils might start impacting demand anyway.

This is really getting off topic, but for those who are interested, here is a good video about biofuels.

A lot of these videos focus on ethanol, particularly that which is blended with gasoline. That obviously has issues, and ethanol's dominance is largely a result of lobbying by corn farmers in the US. That does not extend to the entire biofuels sector though. And ultimately, some form of biofuels will have to be used for hard to decarbonize sectors like rail and aviation.

I have no information about why VIA is not making the resumption of this train a priority....I'm sure they do analyses and numbers, and there is likely a reason.......... but.....

Considering that VIA has gone on record to assure these communities that VIA has their interests at heart, and moving HFR to another route will not lead to a decreased, less adequate service model on the Lakeshore line..... and considering that to date these communities have accepted those assurances with trust and confidence..... this might be a wise place to show good faith.

All I can say is, I'm first in the #toldyaso line.

- Paul

A lot of these videos focus on ethanol, particularly that which is blended with gasoline. That obviously has issues, and ethanol's dominance is largely a result of lobbying by corn farmers in the US. That does not extend to the entire biofuels sector though. And ultimately, some form of biofuels will have to be used for hard to decarbonize sectors like rail and aviation.
Did you actually watch the video or are you just assuming that you know what it says?

Did you actually watch the video or are you just assuming that you know what it says?

I watched it. I actually subscribe to that channel. He spent most of the time discussing the issues with ethanol and then a bit at the end with algae for biodiesel. Like I said, a lot of these discussions don't seem to really understand where the future of biofuels are heading and the applications.

Should be noted that as EVs takeoff for passenger vehicles and some public fleets, it should dampen demand for ethanol, freeing up production capacity for other biofuels.

This tangent started off by discussing specifically an EPA ruling recognizing canola derived biofuels as low impact on emissions, which might boost the Canadian market for canola. I don't see why this wouldn't also be great for freight and rail operators in Canada. Very little effort and capital to switch. Immediate payback on emissions reduction and operating costs.

I have no information about why VIA is not making the resumption of this train a priority....I'm sure they do analyses and numbers, and there is likely a reason.......... but.....

Considering that VIA has gone on record to assure these communities that VIA has their interests at heart, and moving HFR to another route will not lead to a decreased, less adequate service model on the Lakeshore line..... and considering that to date these communities have accepted those assurances with trust and confidence..... this might be a wise place to show good faith.

All I can say is, I'm first in the #toldyaso line.

- Paul
I‘m inclined to agree that this attitude towards one of its most loyal customer groups (and towards some communities which have demonstrated a remarkable amount of goodwill and trust into post-HFR service levels) is rather counter-intuitive (or even: self-defeating), but this unfortunately still seems to be as much of a minority view as it was when I left one year ago…

Last edited:
I‘m inclined to agree that this attitude towards one of its most loyal customer groups (and towards some communities which have demonstrated a remarkable amount of goodwill and trust into post-HFR service levels) is rather counter-intuitive (or even: self-defeating), but this unfortunately still seems to be as much of a minority view as it was when I left one year ago…

This particular missing train is an opportunity lost. If post-pandemic business hasn’t completely resumed on through trips, VIA might as well utilise its unused slots to get moving on the “hub” format. Put 651 back, and start a Kingston- Ottawa equivalent with overnight layover in Kingston. Covid might make that ridership a bit light, but it would create a market presence - and that slot would be generating revenue where today it is unused.

When it comes to Regional rail passenger, it certainly seems that Ottawa and Ontario are mostly in a staredown waiting for each other to pick up the check. I fear that the Lakeshore service is going that route. I especially can’t see a P3 HFR vendor wanting to retain this line in its portfolio given the lack of leverage with CN - added headaches for a secondary deliverable. Letting the local service atrophy until GO steps in in frustration is a nice neat solution, and personally I wouldn’t be disappointed if that happened. HFR has a truer linkage to market dynamics where price/supply/demand is managed closer to break even or net income, where the Regional application is much more about delivering an alternative to 401 congestion at perhaps a lower price point requiring greater subsidy. The line of sight to that need may well sit closer to the Province than to things federal.

- Paul

This particular missing train is an opportunity lost. If post-pandemic business hasn’t completely resumed on through trips, VIA might as well utilise its unused slots to get moving on the “hub” format. Put 651 back, and start a Kingston- Ottawa equivalent with overnight layover in Kingston. Covid might make that ridership a bit light, but it would create a market presence - and that slot would be generating revenue where today it is unused.

When it comes to Regional rail passenger, it certainly seems that Ottawa and Ontario are mostly in a staredown waiting for each other to pick up the check. I fear that the Lakeshore service is going that route. I especially can’t see a P3 HFR vendor wanting to retain this line in its portfolio given the lack of leverage with CN - added headaches for a secondary deliverable. Letting the local service atrophy until GO steps in in frustration is a nice neat solution, and personally I wouldn’t be disappointed if that happened. HFR has a truer linkage to market dynamics where price/supply/demand is managed closer to break even or net income, where the Regional application is much more about delivering an alternative to 401 congestion at perhaps a lower price point requiring greater subsidy. The line of sight to that need may well sit closer to the Province than to things federal.

- Paul
You should see the QEW in the morning coming into Toronto, its Bumper to Bumper from Burlington to Southdown and then again from before the QEW bridge until the 427. Brutal.

This is why VIA should be in the commuter service offering express from Burlington/Aldershot to Toronto and then to Oshawa.

This is why VIA should be in the commuter service offering express from Burlington/Aldershot to Toronto and then to Oshawa.

I agree about the need for express service across the GTA, but it should be GO rather than VIA.

VIA can't afford to have trains sitting idle all day waiting for rush hour. If an early run from say Niagara Falls arrives in Toronto with a load of commuters, but then doesn't have an assignment for that trainset for the rest of the day, it's not sustainable within VIA's resources or business model. Similarly, VIA should not be running empty seats from London or Niagara to collect passengers for an Aldershot to Union ride.

It's not that GO likes having trains sitting idle either, but all those empty peak-only trains are folded into one storage system and one investment decision very much based on avoiding/relieving highway congestion and emissions.

I will admit I have changed my tune on this a bit, and it should be a separate layer above the "stopping" GO service in light of trip duration, but it may be a better way to keep left and right hands organized.

- Paul

I agree about the need for express service across the GTA, but it should be GO rather than VIA.

VIA can't afford to have trains sitting idle all day waiting for rush hour. If an early run from say Niagara Falls arrives in Toronto with a load of commuters, but then doesn't have an assignment for that trainset for the rest of the day, it's not sustainable within VIA's resources or business model. Similarly, VIA should not be running empty seats from London or Niagara to collect passengers for an Aldershot to Union ride.

It's not that GO likes having trains sitting idle either, but all those empty peak-only trains are folded into one storage system and one investment decision very much based on avoiding/relieving highway congestion and emissions.

I will admit I have changed my tune on this a bit, and it should be a separate layer above the "stopping" GO service in light of trip duration, but it may be a better way to keep left and right hands organized.

- Paul
Or just have all day Express service between Aldershot and Oshawa. I don't care who provides the service but it would help cut travel times.

Imagine you could get from Aldershot to Oshawa in 70 minutes? Currently takes over two hours.

Also does anyone know why they brought 2 sleepers to Ottawa? https://www.railpictures.net/photo/801276/ or was it just for axle count purposes.

Last edited:
Why should two passenger rail services provide overlapping services in the same area, still using third party rail (or should VIA run on GO trackage)? Should VIA provide Toronto-area commuter service? Should GO provide inter-city service to Ottawa? Makes little sense to me.

For those of you who think I'm nuts for stating hydrogen is the future for non-catenary VIA...............................CP has just announced, www.H2-view.com , that they have contracted ATCO to build 2 hydrogen refueling centres in Alberta. They will be in Cal/Edm and will be green hydrogen using electrolysis and will produce, store, and fuel their expanding hydrogen freight locomotive vehicles. The facilities will be constructed quite quickly and will be operational by 2023.

This is an example of what I have often stated. The freight companies will be building their hydrogen infrastructure and VIA and other passenger rail services will be able to make use of it. If VIA ever decides to return service from Cal/Edm, this would be an ideal place to begin testing their hydrogen abilities. A private company wants to build a train service from Calgary International to Banff via downtown and again this would be vastly simplified by being able to use freight company hydrogen infrastructure as opposed to building their own.

Transforming diesel locos into hydrogen ones is MUCH cheaper and faster than rebuilding the units for catenary and/or diesel or buying new hydrogen EMUs.

Back