News   Jul 12, 2024
 946     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 832     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 337     0 

VIA Rail

Are there plans to restore more corridor services in the near future?
The plan is (and has always been since the beginning of the Covid-19-related service suspensions on March 17) to restore services as soon as the situation permits.

Beyond CoVid, the limited size of the Corridor fleet and challenges with the host railroads make it challenging to increase frequencies before the new fleet and HFR arrive...

The plan is (and has always been since the beginning of the Covid-19-related service suspensions on March 17) to restore services as soon as the situation permits.

With rumors' that southern Ontario will go into lockdown, I strongly suspect we will see service cuts within the next week. The question is if the cuts will come before or after Christmas?

Beyond CoVid, the limited size of the Corridor fleet and challenges with the host railroads make it challenging to increase frequencies before the new fleet and HFR arrive...

Has the reduced service during COVID helped extend the life of some of VIA's equipment (the Renaissance cars specifically) to help better bridge the gap until the new fleet arrives? I gather there were going to be issues with equipment needing to be retired before it could be replaced.

With rumors' that southern Ontario will go into lockdown, I strongly suspect we will see service cuts within the next week. The question is if the cuts will come before or after Christmas?
Unless a provincial government demands asks VIA to reduce/interrupt its service, I would assume that the current schedule survives into the new year. In fact, weekend-only frequencies 46, 55, 65 and 66 will exceptionally operate on December 22/23/24 and January 2, in addition to their normal operating days of Mondays, Fridays and Sundays..

Refer to my previous post for VIA’s current schedules and note that the Canadian partially resumed service (west of Winnipeg, once per week) on December 11, just as it was announced back in October...

Last edited:
Unless a provincial government demands VIA to reduce/interrupt its service, I would assume that the current schedule survives into the new year..

It wouldn't be surprised if Ford requested it (not sure he has the authority to demand it). I also wouldn't be surprised if he orders all provincial highways closed for non-essential travel to discourage people from going to places that aren't under lockdown for a vacation.

Because there simply isn't an equivalent to timetable slots for a transport mode which has an almost infinite amount of possible paths (resulting from horizontal and vertical variations of any thinkable path) between any two airports to choose from, very unlike a mode which, well, is bound to a physical guideway?

Air is not infinite, flights adhere to corridors and levels, with options for delaying takeoff and/or holding in the air to match landing capacity. You understate the concern that one airline might have about its flight getting delayed at gate, while its competitor’s same-timed flight gets sent on its way.

While airlines may grumble, (and work from different terminals) nobody suggests total separation of all their operations or support functions - or airspace. And their system of slot allocation is structured to not allow any one airline to achieve an unjust advantage.

The freight railways paint this as some cruel unworkable intrusion that abuses their shareholders. Their protests are overstated by miles.

That’s the answer I was expecting: local customers, small service yards, and a few key classification points. Nothing that can't coexist with HFR. If CN swapped blocks in Smiths Falls instead of Belleville, is this rocket science?

Belleville is an interesting case study. Independent of HFR, it makes a lot of sense to divert CP along the CN alignment through town. CN would bristle, or look for a windfall. There would be a capital cost, and it would rightfully fall in part to the taxpayer. But it would be money well spent to that town’s growth and quality of life.

Taken nationally, a dozen or more diversion proposals exist, some more practical than others, often involving railways sharing each others' corridors (Winnipeg, London, Regina, Saskatoon, North Toronto......) The railways have a valid concern about how much of their expertise and managerial focus can be diverted towards such projects when their core job is to run a railway as it is. This is not a good reason to resist all of them, however. It's a question of how much can be handled at a time, and how much public money is available, and how much each railway ought to contribute... and not allowing the railways' desire to compete with each other to outweigh the public benefit of making better joint use of their corridors.

Because you now have three control centers (CN, CP and joint) which have to coordinate movements with each other...

As they do now, located at different ends of the country. Plus Metrolinx, AMT, and others. One hears stories about how the interface may not be effective at the moment, but that does not mean they are being managed at their full performance potential.

I continue to ask, if CN and VIA have agreements that will enable HFR east of Coteau, what stands in the way of reaching solutions that could be applied west of there, given assurance that VIA will absorb capital investment?

None of the rail corridors between Toronto and Montreal has a sufficiently long grade separated segment which would allow operation beyond 110 mph. Given that (unlike the HFR route) almost no part of the Kingston Subdivision is slated for later use as an HSR corridor, there is no economic case to grade separate it (at least not at taxpayer expense)...

Almost all grade separations are taxpayer-funded.

What triggers my periodic urge to rehash things I know we have debated before - is some posters' suggestion on the one hand that the Havelock route is the best candidate for being cheaply and easily upgraded to HSR.... yet when other routes are suggested, the response is that the terrain is too difficult, land costs are too high, etc. This argument has to cut both ways.

I accept that the Havelock line can be upgraded to the level promised by VIA for the price they have estimated.... but the total cost of that, and then raising it to HSR later, will be in the same ballpark as building a new line anywhere else.

I'm not aware (but eager to be corrected) that the HFR route through Havelock has been favoured in studies as the preferred HSR route. It's very possible that the Havelock segment of the HFR route will cease to be used should HSR emerge (unlike east of Smiths Falls, certainly).

So the question is, can the same money achieve the same performance as HFR Phase I if invested in a different route west of Smiths Falls, in a way that retains its value through into HSR.

VIA's 2008 capital plan offered an end service pattern not that far below HFR's proposal. It failed, not because it was a bad plan but because the money allocated was spent badly. The overage was only part of a $400M envelope - enough of an embarassment that the government quite reasonably refused to keep spending at the time. However, if there is more commitment (and maybe legal clout) to manage differently.... the HFR expenditure (easily $1B or more for the Havelock segment) would close the gap on the 2008 service plan - and more. This would approach VIA's desire for Toronto-Ottawa, with a better emphasis on the HFR-era Toronto-Montreal service.

Sustained or improved use of the CN line by VIA might force a displacement of some CN through freight, but it need not remove it entirely. I can't imagine that the amount shifted would choke the CP line, especially if it received some investment also. Many double track railroads in North America commonly accommodate 60-80 trains a day. A single track line with good passing capability (which is exactly how the Winchester Sub is configured) has been said to be capable of 70% of that capacity. Do we expect the combined CN-CP throughput between Toronto and Montreal to reach even 42 freight trains a day within 25 years?

Given that grade separating the CP or CN lines and rebuilding a new line for VIA achieve wildly different things, the difference in capital requirements (if we assume there is one!) might not be as instructive as you hope...

Any grade separation along the CN and CP lines (which will remain under every scenario) is money well spent. Any money spent on grade separation on the Havelock line has long term value only if HSR goes there. Are we really ready to nail that down? @Darwinkgo suggests that pressure for grade separation will follow freight volume, but I would expect it would follow the combination of population and HFR frequency given there will be more passenger trains out there than freight.

I am pessimistic that HSR will be achieved, or the Havelock line upgraded, within 30-40 years. That's a long time to live with the deficiencies of that routing.

I can accept VIA's need to present the most positive case for HFR, and I realise that in political space it's often habit to make things sound like more of a silver bullet than they are. In real life, every proposal will have pro's and con's.

The Havelock line may be all that's affordable, and all that's sellable, but....it has a definite limit on its upper end. When people ask, "is this the best plan", I can answer "it's the only plan that's workable for the money and appetite available".... but one should not undersell the tradeoff's being made. Nor should one undersell what could be achieved if a shift to coproduction were in the picture.

At worst case, I may be suggesting an expense of a further $1-2B, but the value obtained would be worth it.

- Paul

Air is not infinite, flights adhere to corridors and levels, with options for delaying takeoff and/or holding in the air to match landing capacity. You understate the concern that one airline might have about its flight getting delayed at gate, while its competitor’s same-timed flight gets sent on its way.

While airlines may grumble, (and work from different terminals) nobody suggests total separation of all their operations or support functions - or airspace. And their system of slot allocation is structured to not allow any one airline to achieve an unjust advantage.

The freight railways paint this as some cruel unworkable intrusion that abuses their shareholders. Their protests are overstated by miles.

That’s the answer I was expecting: local customers, small service yards, and a few key classification points. Nothing that can't coexist with HFR. If CN swapped blocks in Smiths Falls instead of Belleville, is this rocket science?

Belleville is an interesting case study. Independent of HFR, it makes a lot of sense to divert CP along the CN alignment through town. CN would bristle, or look for a windfall. There would be a capital cost, and it would rightfully fall in part to the taxpayer. But it would be money well spent to that town’s growth and quality of life.

Taken nationally, a dozen or more diversion proposals exist, some more practical than others, often involving railways sharing each others' corridors (Winnipeg, London, Regina, Saskatoon, North Toronto......) The railways have a valid concern about how much of their expertise and managerial focus can be diverted towards such projects when their core job is to run a railway as it is. This is not a good reason to resist all of them, however. It's a question of how much can be handled at a time, and how much public money is available, and how much each railway ought to contribute... and not allowing the railways' desire to compete with each other to outweigh the public benefit of making better joint use of their corridors.

As they do now, located at different ends of the country. Plus Metrolinx, AMT, and others. One hears stories about how the interface may not be effective at the moment, but that does not mean they are being managed at their full performance potential.

I continue to ask, if CN and VIA have agreements that will enable HFR east of Coteau, what stands in the way of reaching solutions that could be applied west of there, given assurance that VIA will absorb capital investment?

What triggers my periodic urge to rehash things I know we have debated before - is some posters' suggestion on the one hand that the Havelock route is the best candidate for being cheaply and easily upgraded to HSR.... yet when other routes are suggested, the response is that the terrain is too difficult, land costs are too high, etc. This argument has to cut both ways.

I accept that the Havelock line can be upgraded to the level promised by VIA for the price they have estimated.... but the total cost of that, and then raising it to HSR later, will be in the same ballpark as building a new line anywhere else.

I'm not aware (but eager to be corrected) that the HFR route through Havelock has been favoured in studies as the preferred HSR route. It's very possible that the Havelock segment of the HFR route will cease to be used should HSR emerge (unlike east of Smiths Falls, certainly).

So the question is, can the same money achieve the same performance as HFR Phase I if invested in a different route west of Smiths Falls, in a way that retains its value through into HSR.

VIA's 2008 capital plan offered an end service pattern not that far below HFR's proposal. It failed, not because it was a bad plan but because the money allocated was spent badly. The overage was only part of a $400M envelope - enough of an embarassment that the government quite reasonably refused to keep spending at the time. However, if there is more commitment (and maybe legal clout) to manage differently.... the HFR expenditure (easily $1B or more for the Havelock segment) would close the gap on the 2008 service plan - and more. This would approach VIA's desire for Toronto-Ottawa, with a better emphasis on the HFR-era Toronto-Montreal service.

Sustained or improved use of the CN line by VIA might force a displacement of some CN through freight, but it need not remove it entirely. I can't imagine that the amount shifted would choke the CP line, especially if it received some investment also. Many double track railroads in North America commonly accommodate 60-80 trains a day. A single track line with good passing capability (which is exactly how the Winchester Sub is configured) has been said to be capable of 70% of that capacity. Do we expect the combined CN-CP throughput between Toronto and Montreal to reach even 42 freight trains a day within 25 years?

Any grade separation along the CN and CP lines (which will remain under every scenario) is money well spent. Any money spent on grade separation on the Havelock line has long term value only if HSR goes there. Are we really ready to nail that down? @Darwinkgo suggests that pressure for grade separation will follow freight volume, but I would expect it would follow the combination of population and HFR frequency given there will be more passenger trains out there than freight.

I am pessimistic that HSR will be achieved, or the Havelock line upgraded, within 30-40 years. That's a long time to live with the deficiencies of that routing.

I can accept VIA's need to present the most positive case for HFR, and I realise that in political space it's often habit to make things sound like more of a silver bullet than they are. In real life, every proposal will have pro's and con's.

The Havelock line may be all that's affordable, and all that's sellable, but....it has a definite limit on its upper end. When people ask, "is this the best plan", I can answer "it's the only plan that's workable for the money and appetite available".... but one should not undersell the tradeoff's being made. Nor should one undersell what could be achieved if a shift to coproduction were in the picture.

At worst case, I may be suggesting an expense of a further $1-2B, but the value obtained would be worth it.

- Paul
I recently rode train 66 to Kingston and found that the train only travels at 90mph for about 40% of the trip. If you could increase this by 20% you could easily shave 20min on the trip. This would be crucial for the new route, where it would be crucial to be able to get up to speed quickly and maintain it as much as possible. Chugging along at 70mph will not be competitive with the car, due to station stops.

The only external factor affecting an airline's capacity to add a flight between two airports are slot availability at airport A and at airport B, just like the only two major factors causing delays are hold-ups at airport A prior to departure (e.g. boarding delays) or on the approach onto airport B (e.g. circling until it receives authority for landing). The operational constraints airlines face on the frequency and punctuality of their operations is equivalent to what VIA faces today, but with the Kingston Subdivision expanded to six tracks (equipped with frequent high-speed turnouts) between Oshawa and Vaudreuil.

Airports and rail stations are natural monopolies (even though unfortunately only the former are regulated as such). However, unlike railway lines, the airways located in-between urban agglomerations (like Toronto and Montreal) are public goods (and thus regulated as such).

I've repeatedly shown the degree of financial involvement the taxpayer has in national rail networks where the government strictly regulates rail infrastructure access. I don't even think that CN or CP would deny that this would be feasible in Canada, but we should all be aware that this comes at a high price - and that the political reality in this country is that the government prefers to have freight railroads pay for the infrastructure upgrades they need...

I guess not, but I'm not sure what level of infrastructure upgrades would be required to convince CN that the Belleville Sub would allow them the same operating quality as they currently enjoy on the Kingston Sub...

I assume that diverting CP onto CN would mean diverting VIA from CN to CP, which would require a new station which would be placed closer to downtown, but void recent investments in revamping the current station. Whereas the logic of Management Accounting dictates that past investments are irrelevant in assessing alternative courses of future actions, the reality is that abandoning a recent investment which has been entirely funded by the taxpayer has an optic which quickly becomes toxic in the public eye.

Agreed, but it comes at a price and any expropriation (i.e. the short-cut around paying the current owners the compensation they demand) of multi-billion corporations like Canada's two Class I freight railroads risks damage to Canada's reputation as a place to do business...

I should have said "entities", not "control centers". Effective dispatching across railroads necessitates extensive visibility onto each other's operations (within a considerable cordon around the actually shared territory), which is something which might undermine commercial interests of railroads which are in direct competition to each other (unlike passenger railroads like Metrolinx and VIA)...

I can't comment on the exact route VIA intends to chose for HFR, but this is the most recent map I recall seeing published anywhere:
1608519680574.png

Source: Globe and Mail (June 24, 2019)

I never claimed the contrary, I just said that I don't see an economic case for the taxpayer to fund grade-separations on the Kingston Subdivision.

Let me try to resolve this for you: certain parts of the Havelock Subdivision have an alignment which makes a design speed of 110 mph already quite a stretch and which are completely unsuitable for any future conversion to HSR. However, other parts of the Havelock Subdivision have the potential to be upgraded to a design speed which obviates the need for bypassing it when we finally join the HSR age...

This is why you should build those stretches which can easily be realigned closer to HSR-speeds already as "HSR-ready", while spending only as much as absolutely necessary in any segment which would for sure be bypassed when transitioning to HSR (the of course also means that only "HSR-ready" segments should be considered for electrification). Unfortunately, politicians and large parts of the public are much more obsessed about the scale of investments than its value-for-money...

It so far hasn't, but that doesn't mean that parts of the Havelock Subdivision would make for a more cost-effective HSR corridor, especially when entering into Toronto...

No, bypassing a rail corridor segment which can't be realigned to become HSR-ready will always be more expensive than just upgrading an existing rail corridor to the maximum speed it can be realigned for...

(Post continues below, due to space restrictions)

Last edited:
(Post continues from above)

Quite possibly, but I struggle to imagine how CN could be motivated to let someone else than themselves take responsibility of contracting and supervising the construction of extra tracks on its property - and of the dispatching once the extra tracks have been built.

Any grade separation along the CN and CP lines (which will remain under every scenario) is money well spent. Any money spent on grade separation on the Havelock line has long term value only if HSR goes there. Are we really ready to nail that down?
Not necessarily, because once you transfer the primary (i.e. "end-to-end") intercity trains onto a parallel corridor, none of these grade separations are needed to more adequately serve the secondary (i.e. "intermediary") markets more adequately (because less frequency and lower average speed equals less interference with freight operations)...

Unfortunately, every minute of travel time saved on segments which can't be leveraged for HSR will decrease the incremental travel time benefit a later upgrade to HSR can achieve, which is also why insisting on HFR achieving a travel time of 4 hours between Montreal and Toronto diminishes the chances of ever justifying the necessary investments for getting that travel time down to 3 hours (i.e. the travel time where past experiences demonstrates that HSR eclipses demand for air travel).

Absolutely! Certain parts (i.e. by far not all) of the Havelock Sub are junk and would much better be bypassed with an extended HSR segment without putting a Dollar in the existing alignments...

Absolutely, and my hope is that once HFR has been approved, an analysis is done to quickly identify whether more ambitious alignments could increase the value-for-money...

- Paul
Without any doubt, $1-2 billion in extra cash could surely fund a massive improvement in the value-for-money provided by HFR, but I'm skeptical that such analysis would recommend investing a non-negligible proportion of that amount into the Kingston Sub...

I recently rode train 66 to Kingston and found that the train only travels at 90mph for about 40% of the trip. If you could increase this by 20% you could easily shave 20min on the trip. This would be crucial for the new route, where it would be crucial to be able to get up to speed quickly and maintain it as much as possible. Chugging along at 70mph will not be competitive with the car, due to station stops.
Increasing the speed from 70 to 90 mph saves 11.4 seconds per mile (i.e. 7.1 seconds per km); however, increasing the speed from 50 to 70 mph (i.e. by the same speed increment of 20 mph) saves 20.6 seconds per mile (12.8 seconds per km) and increasing it from 50 to 90 mph saves even 32 seconds per mile (19.9 seconds per km), which is why removing short low speed restrictions is often the more cost-effective than removing longer, higher speed restrictions...

Last edited:
- I do not see the proposed interim Montreal-Toronto service as adequate for up to 40 years, and indeed may burn a bridge by removing appetite and reinforcing the use of other alternatives for travel on that route. That elusive 4-hour timing is a dealbreaker in my view, we need it now. These end point are Canada’s two largest cities, after all.

Why not? I think the Havelock proposal is good enough to use indefinitely.

I think all these Lakeshore proposals stem from inertia and the traditional obsession with serving Kingston. Step away from those assumptions and prioritize as VIA does as the picture looks different:

1) Combine Ottawa and Montreal traffic to enable sustainment of a high frequency schedule.

2) Prioritize the higher traffic pair (Toronto-Ottawa over Toronto-Montreal).

3) Bolster regional travel (Ottawa-Montreal).

- While the Kingston is not 300km/hr capable, I see it as 200 km/hr capable....., whereas the Havelock line is clearly not, for the same money. So it’s a better mid term investment.

Kingston will not be capable of 125 mph running without substantial investment. Track sharing at those speeds has severe limitations (if not outright prohibitions). And modifying the corridor itself with extra track and gentler curves would be insanely expensive given land prices in more settled areas. I would bet money that this is cheaper to do on Havelock. And not sharing tracks would substantially minimize the scope. Not to mention that Havelock can enable other options (electrification, for example).

The comparison to freight and air is flawed here for a few reasons.

1) Freight operators will use less busy secondary airports.

2) Airlines don't usually own the airports they are operating from. They probably would grant the best slots to themselves if they did.

3) In aviation congestion is at the end points. On railways, it's en route.

Ultimately this is really simple. We can try the same negotiations with the freight operators we've been trying for decades. Or get moving with a proposal that will substantially reduce our dependence on them. At this point, I'd pay more as a taxpayer for the latter, because I actually want better service in my lifetime.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, every minute of travel time saved on segments which can't be leveraged for HSR will decrease the incremental travel time benefit a later upgrade to HSR can achieve, which is also why insisting on HFR achieving a travel time of 4 hours between Montreal and Toronto diminishes the chances of ever justifying the necessary investments for getting that travel time down to 3 hours (i.e. the travel time where past experiences demonstrates that HSR eclipses demand for air travel).

I get the idea. But I disagree. A broad challenge that VIA has is that it has no constituency that fights for it politically. That will get a bit better with HFR. Would get substantially better if Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal was 4 hrs. VIA would have tons of ridership which in turn would make investing in VIA a lot more attractive (politically). I would bet that you'd see some $1-2B investment every 4 yr term. Mostly because the improvements could happen within one term. And because the benefits can be trumpeted locally. Get Ottawa-Montreal down to 1.25 hrs? Sell it to every community in Eastern Ontario. Get Peterborough-Ottawa down to 1.5 hrs? Use that news to try and win seats in Peterborough and West end of Ottawa. Etc.

Absolutely, and my hope is that once HFR has been approved, an analysis is done to quickly identify whether more ambitious alignments could increase the value-for-money...

Presumably much of this is being done as part of the JPO. They should have some detailed knowledge after 2 years of work on how they can make further value added investments.

Presumably much of this is being done as part of the JPO. They should have some detailed knowledge after 2 years of work on how they can make further value added investments.
Are we up to a year away from the JPO finishing their work?

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum and to the discussion. As my username might suggest, I work as a train driver, or locomotive engineer, on higher-speed, long-distance international services in Europe — which run under the generic term of EuroCity.

I've been invited on the platform by Urban Sky to present a couple of issues I see with the whole HFR project, in their various declensions.

I can't comment on the exact route VIA intends to chose for HFR, but this is the most recent map I recall seeing published anywhere:
View attachment 290201
Source: Globe and Mail (June 24, 2019)

One of such points relates to the fact that VIA publicly stated that HFR is imperative if we want to eliminate congestion and conflicts with CN. It's now late December 2020 and we haven't seen — yet! — a detailed account of the route selected for the Corridor.

At present, and given the data available to the public, their claim remains unsubstantiated: VIA trains would still need to access Union Station in Toronto, would still need to pass through Metrolinx/GO territory (possibly via Bala Sub), would need to run on CP Belleville Sub and avoid CP Toronto Yard before getting on the (renewed/rebuilt) Havelock Sub. The same map also seems to suggest a route from Montréal to Québec via the Mount Royal Tunnel, which — AFAIK — will be used exclusively by the REM.

Ultimately this is really simple. We can try the same negotiations with the freight operators we've been trying for decades. Or get moving with a proposal that will substantially reduce our dependence on them. At this point, I'd pay more as a taxpayer for the latter, because I actually want better service in my lifetime.

My problem with this approach is that HFR has the same problems as other HSR (mega)projects: it doesn't follow an incremental approach.

From an infrastructure point of view, building an entirely new line between two cities requires an enormous amount of time. Peterborough to Smiths Falls is approximately 200 km as the crow flies. We can easily compare it to the Rome–Naples HSR (204.6 km), which opened in sections between December 19th, 2005, and December 13th, 2009. Work on the line officially commenced in 1994 and, leaving aside the infamous Italian bureaucracy and various technical problems, the line opened to traffic 11 years later. When it was opened to traffic, the line used provisory interconnections to the conventional network, so it took 4 more years to complete the whole project.

Assuming that enthusiastic Canadian contractors were able to build the Peterborough–Smiths Falls section in a third of that time, construction would still take 5 years with VIA still struggling on the Kingston Sub. If the contract were to be awarded on January 1st, 2021, and that won't be the case, we wouldn't see any kind of improvement whatsoever at least until early 2026. And that assuming nothing goes wrong.

No, I don't think HFR to be the best solution for passenger traffic on the Corridor.

I have been meaning to reply to this for the past week, but have been too busy.

Well, there's the thing. If the improvement is small, it won't result in much benefit. Easing a single curve gives only a few seconds' time savings - the time saved in a single deceleration, short curve, and accelerate back is only a few seconds.

That all depends on how much you need to slow down for the curve and what speed you can accelerate up to again. If VIA focuses on S-curves and tight curves (both of which you will need to slow down more significantly for) that have more gentle curves surrounding it, you will see a more significant benefit. This is HFR not HSF after all, so they don't need to eliminate curves altogether.

Having looked at the line in some detail, with both my own and others' data, as previously discussed at length in this forum.... the curves are tightly spaced. Either VIA straightens whole stretches, or the ROI isn't worth straightening at all. And as I noted above, once the initial HFR infrastructure is built, other segments of the line will demonstrate higher ROI for later improvement. Hence my prediction the line will not see major physical changes in the first 15-20 years, at least.

And that is where I disagree. If you look at the map @Urban Sky posted recently (quoted below), west of what I estimate to be about Kaladar, there are several small (yellow) circles that are surrounded by larger circles. Remove a few (not necessarily all) of those and you will see a more significant benefit than if you remove a few of the small circles east of Kaladar, where VIA will likely have to live with slower speeds for now.

Nor do I. Is that not also reason to assume it will never be a freight line? But - to address the crazy idea of striking north from Kingston....

I am not sure how it not being appropriate for HSR makes in inappropriate for low speed freight. You have brought up some points which may or may not be valid. I guess time will tell. It also depends on what route VIA would pick for HSR when the time comes (CN's Kingston Sub may not be high on their list).

That's true, but the parallel-to-15 alignment is fairly level and solid terrain and has not too many swamps that can't be sidestepped. A couple of lakes in the way, certainly, and that will very much drive where the route might go. I acknowledge it's threading the needle, which is how all the lines through that area got built.

The inconsistency in all the arguments I am hearing is.... if the terrain between Kingston-Elgin is just too rough to construct a failry short leg at reasonable cost, then the cost of any other routing that might be built in any future scenario, freight or passenger, will be just that much costlier and tricky to plan as well.

There may very well be a reason why track between Kingston and Ottawa was never built. ;)

That leaves VIA/HSR/future freight with only one other alternative..... the former Canadian Northern row from Napanee to Smiths Falls. It already exists (as a rail trail), it's actually pretty straight, and probably in no better or worse as-is condition than the Havelock line. So, again, leaving CP alone this time, it's reasonable to ask whether one could rehab that line east of Napanee, and find some accommodation with CP/CN west of there. Again, we may find that the cost is more than HFR's envelope.... but it won't be that much more. Is the difference a good investment as future-proofing?

That might be possible, but finding "some accommodation with CP/CN west of there" won't be as trivial as you think it is. It would only be a "good investment as future-proofing" if that is the route VIA would choose for HSR.

Back of envelope
CP's Annual Report: Total market cap - $45.5B
Total route miles - 13,000 miles
Market cap of the Belleville/Winchester Subs, assuming 40% of market cap is track, valuing at 2x average and including the Winchester:

(650/13000) x (40% x $45.5B) = $910M

Even with a substantial margin of error, it may be comparable to what VIA will invest in the Havelock route. It just takes a more aggressive posture towards the freight railways.

Market Cap is not a good estimate of asset value. Don't forget there are such a thing as Asset Strippers, who will buy companies who have significant liquid assets, and sell all of their assets for a profit. Railway assets are not particularly liquid (there are rules on how their ROWs can be sold) but you can be sure that CP's lawyers would insist on receiving top dollar if the government were to expropriate a ROW that is a linchpin in their network, severing access to all eastern ports. If this were done, their Market Cap would decrease significantly

Let's say half the passengers per car turn over. How long does it take to have 40ish people file out, and another 40 file on?

With a high platform, people can get on and off pretty quickly, so I would guess 2 or 3 minutes. As I said, a 3 minute layover might be a bit optimistic, but 5 minutes isn't unreasonable.

As to grooming - sure, passengers at smaller intermediate stops often find someone was sitting in their seat before they got on. Litter, used cups, etc do happen. However, I can't believe VIA will allow that to be the customer experience for Toronto-Ottawa and Ottawa-Montreal market segments.... too many people, too important a revenue stream.

I am not so sure about that. A couple years ago I took the ICE from Cologne to Munich and when we stopped in Frankfort (a significantly larger city than Ottawa) they didn't delay the train to groom the car.

The grades in BC are longer and steeper, sure, but they aren't sawbacks. I have seen the granular elevation data for the Havelock Sub. If you aren't going up, you are going down. Within one trainlength, one is often doing both.

Much much steeper! I haven't seen the granular elevation data for the Havelock Sub, but I have troubles imagining there being any hills of enough significance to worry about the sawbacks.

My point about banking was, if the line is banked VIA doesn't need to ease the curves and one can expect they will remain. So if one handed the line back to freight, it would still have the curves.

Yes it would still have the curves, but fail to see why that would be a significant concern to a freight train, where speed isn't a significant issue. Once again, they seem to manage just fine in BC where the tracks meander along.

If one is going to argue that freight railways won't accept expropriation, one has to also assume they will not accept this line in some future exchange.

Maybe they wouldn't, but there is a big difference between trading ROWs and severing a railway into two smaller railways that aren't connected without using someone else's track.

Neither railway will welcome coproduction, being either the host or the guest. If as a matter of public policy, the country desires two freight lines between Montreal and Toronto, and feels they should not be brought into the passenger plan, then I guess VIA is last in line. And HFR is the only logical alternative to move forward.

Yup. As a national policy, it is more important to keep fright flowing on rails than it is to have passengers transition to rail travel.

This whole discussion (and my returning to the Kingston bypass idea) started when someone (@niftz?) asked how much it would cost to just push CN aside. Even if you don't accept my opinions re cost, I would argue that legal expropriation of excess freight railway capacity, to achieve better VIA infrastructure sooner, is not an evil concept, and would also make next steps far easier and more economical

Is it evil? No. Is it in the public's best interest? No.

As for it making the "next steps far easier and more economical," I tend to disagree. The next step for the TOM corridor would be HSR. Not only does CN's Kingston Sub. dip too far south (it is not the shortest route between Montreal and Toronto), but it travels through the centre of many of the cities and towns along the lakeshore, which is not optimal for HSR. Also, while there have been many upgrades and grade separations, there are still many more to do (maybe as many as a greenfield route that avoids all those smaller towns and cities would have?).

I beleive that if HFR happens, it will last for several decades (the next step would actually be extending it further west). When we do get to HSR, I am not sure that any of the existing routes would be optimal and a greenfield backbone would be desirable. A direct, central route between Toronto and Montreal could be chosen and feeder tracks to Kingston and Ottawa could be added as appropriate (using a combination of existing, former and greenfield routes).

Back