News   Apr 26, 2024
 2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 445     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

VIA Rail

Can the local service (which no longer receives revenue from the through passenger load that has moved to the new line) cover its own avoidable cost, plus these added fixed costs, and now do so without subsidy? (I expect Ottawa will withdraw subsidy of the route, that's part of the HFR pitch). Will the Peterboro route cross subsidise the Lakeshore local service? Can't see that happening if private money is involved.
I see the inevitable eventuality, and sooner than later, that 'HF Service' is a separate entity to the VIA services we have today. VIA is at odds with itself. There's the Corridor Service, including local stops, that comes closest to 'breaking even'. And the rest which come nowhere close.
Via Rail's ridership rose in 2015, helping Canada's national passenger train service cut its annual operating loss by 12 per cent to $280-million.

The Crown corporation said passenger-miles rose by 1.7 per cent last year and revenue climbed by 6 per cent, the first time in seven years both categories have increased.

Total government funding declined to $378-million while on-time performance fell to 71 per cent from 76 per cent, a deterioration Via Rail blamed on the freight railways that own the tracks.

Taxpayer subsidies for every Via Rail passenger were $73 in 2015, compared with $83 in 2014. The subsidies are lowest – $42 – in the Southern Ontario and Quebec corridor. Long-haul subsidies were almost $500 per passenger while regional services were subsidized at $607, Via Rail said in its annual report released on Friday.
[...]
Yves Desjardins-Siciliano, Via Rail's chief executive officer, is spearheading an effort to buy and build dedicated passenger tracks in the busy Toronto-Montreal-Ottawa corridors. The $4-billion proposal, which will require $2-billion from private-sector pension funds, would allow Via Rail to improve on-time performance and boost revenue by running more trains.

"Our plan to build infrastructure dedicated to passengers will eliminate over five million car trips annually," Via Rail said in its report. "This means a reduction of 10.8 million tons of CO2 equivalent, over the life of the project. This represents 1.5 per cent of Canada's total GHG emissions or 13 per cent of all car emissions."
[...]
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/rep...perating-loss-by-12-per-cent/article29913520/

I believe that ratio has improved even further since 2015. The point is that Corridor Services, which might need further definition, do have a business case to be made to allow...to *attract* private enterprise investment. You don't have to make more than cost for it to do so, as transit investment clearly shows. There's hidden advantage to private investors.

What does have to happen is that the *non-Corridor* operations are continued to be run by Government largess. VIA has a stone around its neck otherwise, and will never achieve anything greater in terms of being competitive and healthy. That's as political as it is business.

The most important to me is the 3rd one. If I cannot count on the train to be reasonably on time, why would I take it?
This is extremely important. One only has to think if airlines weren't dependable, how bookings would plummet. Getting to New York from Toronto, for instance. You can fly prop from Toronto Island and arrive at your destination as fast as taking a jet from Pearson, for all intents and purposes. But that advantage would immediately disappear if it's not reliable. It's what you base all your connections on.

I see the inevitable eventuality, and sooner than later, that 'HF Service' is a separate entity to the VIA services we have today. VIA is at odds with itself. There's the Corridor Service, including local stops, that comes closest to 'breaking even'. And the rest which come nowhere close.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/rep...perating-loss-by-12-per-cent/article29913520/

I believe that ratio has improved even further since 2015. The point is that Corridor Services, which might need further definition, do have a business case to be made to allow...to *attract* private enterprise investment. You don't have to make more than cost for it to do so, as transit investment clearly shows. There's hidden advantage to private investors.

What does have to happen is that the *non-Corridor* operations are continued to be run by Government largess. VIA has a stone around its neck otherwise, and will never achieve anything greater in terms of being competitive and healthy. That's as political as it is business.

This is extremely important. One only has to think if airlines weren't dependable, how bookings would plummet. Getting to New York from Toronto, for instance. You can fly prop from Toronto Island and arrive at your destination as fast as taking a jet from Pearson, for all intents and purposes. But that advantage would immediately disappear if it's not reliable. It's what you base all your connections on.

That is why we need the government to change the TC regulations. Currently, legally only mail trains have priority. Mail trains really no longer exist. So, maybe we should have that changed to "scheduled passenger trains" have priority. Doing so would likely solve more problems then you might think even exist.

I question, however, whether frequency is the only variable that matters. The comparison to the driving time will have a huge impact on ridership. If VIA can't beat the car door to door, they are starting from a deficit.
The Corridor sees 36 trains a day. How much more is needed for the needed frequency?
Every hour I have to arrive at my destination earlier or leave it later than desired adds an hour to my perceived travel time, as correctly described by @crs1026 only one post later:
Agreed. The thing is....the need for hourly departures is not that people will show up randomly on impulse, but rather that individual travel needs and plans may be specific to an hour or less. The trip may be booked well in advance.

Two hour alternatives may sound reasonable, but.....If I have business in Toronto and the meeting ends at 14:30 on the last day, a 15::00 train is more appealing than a 16:00 train with a 90 minute wait beforehand. This is equally true for tourists - if I check out of my hotel at 9:30, I don't want to wait around til 11:00 for a train that I could catch at 10:00.

The premise that frequency will make the service marketable given a wide range of timing needs is sound.
To underline VIA’s competitive disadvantage due to its lack of frequency, I've prepared a comparison of the frequencies, service hours, headways and travel times for the respective modes competing on the three sides of the Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal triangle:
1545670505881.png

Compiled from: timetables provided by VIA Rail, Greyhound, Porter and Air Canada.

Let's go metric-by-metric:
  • Frequency: VIA offers on average 7 departures per day and direction in the three markets, which compares to 15-18 departures offered by Greyhound/Megabus, Air Canada (note that I have listed Montreal to Toronto-Pearson and Montreal to Toronto-Island as two separate services) and Porter. This means that VIA's competitors offer 1.5, 2.5 and 4 times as many frequencies on TRTO-OTTW, TRTO-MTRL and OTTW-MTRL, respecitvely, while VIA offers slightly more frequencies than Greyhound on TRTO-OTTW (but just over half the departures offered by its air competitors).
  • Service hours: VIA generally offers departures between 6:30 and 18:30 (i.e. 12h), while air service to Toronto Island is provided 2 hours longer (7-21h) and a full 6 hours longer on all other bus/rail markets (6-24h). This of course relates to frequency, as a limited number of slots forces to focus on the most popular time slots, which comes at the expense of providing service in the late hours, which would provide for a backup if you don't make it in time for the 6:30pm train.
  • Headway: VIA's median headway is basically twice as high as that of its competitors (2h vs. 1h), which amplifies perceived travel times as discussed above.
  • Travel time: VIA's median travel time is 16% lower than the car or the bus, but 72% higher than the plane [*]. HSR would of course beat the air plane on TRTO-OTTW and in the E-300 scenario also on TRTO-MTRL, but HFR would still result in a 31% time saving over the car or bus and reduce the time penalty over the plane to only 44%, while almost matching the travel time of Air Canada's Ottawa to Toronto-Pearson flights.
[*] assumed travel time for car: average of low and high estimate of travel time shown on Google Maps for a drive between the train stations of the respective stations, departing at 4pm on Wednesday, 16 January 2019 / assumed travel time for plane = scheduled travel time + minimum check-in time [20 minutes at Toronto Island and at all other airports: 30 (Porter) or 45 minutes (Air Canada)] + additional time penalty of 60 minutes for navigating to/within/from the airport

VIA is a bit inconsistent in its claim (well, D-S keeps making this pitch, badly) that their market leans to intermediate points. If this is so, why build a line on a route that skips the biggest intermediate points, and does not enhance service to these. The Havelock looks more air competitive than local. If frequency is the goal, the intermediate points on the Kingston sub should be getting more trains, not less. I find D-S’s pitch a bit disingenuous.
I suspect that you might find his pitch slightly less "inconsistent" or even "disingenuous" if you were more familiar with VIA's current timetable along the Corridor and/or if your definition of "intermediary markets" went beyond travel between Kingston and either Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal or their respective satellite stations (OSHA/FALL/DORV) only:
1545764574377.png

Compiled from: official VIA Rail timetable (effective 2018/11/18)
Note: Count counts two departures to the same station within less than 30 minutes as one single departure. Also, train #51 (operating via Ottawa) was ignored for MTRL/DORV to KGON/TRTO, as train #61 offers a later departure and earlier arrival between these stations.

As you can see, there are four VIA stations between Brockville and Toronto (Gananoque, Napanee, Trenton Junction and Port Hope) which have no single direct connection to Montreal, of which two stations (Napanee and Port Hope) have direct connections to Ottawa in eastbound direction only. Looking at all these other "intermediary markets", which ones exactly would loose frequencies (assuming the frequencies Kingston's mayor shared and assuming that most trains will stop at all stations)? And that's before we look at how difficult it is currently to make day trips from or to some of these stations (especially on weekends, when not all these trains operate):
1545652096514.png

1545652144109.png

Compiled from: official VIA Rail timetable (effective 2018/11/18)

But I would tell you with some confidence that I would travel more, and almost exclusively by rail to Montreal if the trip time were 3.5 hours or less.

Something that should be achievable with 200km/ph rolling stock/horsepower that runs mostly express.

Were the travel time dropped further, by HSR, I'd expect my trip frequency to increase by a factor of two, at least.
I have also stated that I do favour HSR in the long term ( knowing it is not currently on the table) and that I would like to see investments prioritized that facilitate this.
In all absolute and due respect, @MisterF is responding *directly* to what you wrote.

There is only one *doable* option at this time to approach "3.5 hours" travel time TO to Mont.
Just to underline that @steveintoronto is correct to point out that the investments you are calling for now already require the very kind of HSR investments you are claiming they would facilitate "in the long term": As I posted already in July, Transport Canada's Grade Crossing Regulations explicitly prohibit the construction of any level crossing where "the railway design speed on the line of railway is more than 177 km/h (110 mph)". The Ecotrain study has investigated such a scenario ("F-200", with a travel time of 3:38 hours between TRTO and MTRL, as mentioned earlier in this post) and calculated construction costs of $11.8 billion (i.e. almost exactly three times the projected construction costs of HFR), of which more than $3 billion fall on grade separations alone:
upload_2017-11-11_10-9-31-png.126827

Source: Ecotrain (2011, Deliverable 6, Part 1, pp.26+49)
Notes: Conversion factor: 1.1404 (Bank of Canada), re-post from post #3042 (Nov 11, 2017)

Note that the item for grade separation alone is almost the entire budget for HFR (if kept unelectrified) with $3.48 billion (inflated to 2017 values) and that this figure is only insignificantly higher in the E-300 scenario with $3.62 billion (both figures in 2017 CAD). In fact, almost two-thirds (63.8%) of the cost premium for E-300 over F-200 can be attributed to the "power supply" category (i.e. electrification)...

Last edited:
In fact, almost two-thirds (63.8%) of the cost premium for E-300 over F-200 can be attributed to the "power supply" category (i.e. electrification)
This is an interesting claim that might be revised when used for HFR. HSR uses, by necessity, much more robust catenary and greater supply capacity.

Researching this is difficult in getting examples that can be used as comparisons, but pertinent to VIA's 'Corridor Fleet' being hybrid-capable, this has resonance: (caveats apply, not least the narrower gauge of UK rail)(area involved more like GO's rail network than VIA's)
Introducing Regional Rapid Rail
Harriet Gale | August 17, 2017 | 628 Comments

This post gives you a brief summary of our staged proposal to introduce higher speed inter-city rail to the Upper North Island. The full plan and the detail behind it can be seen in Regional Rapid Rail Report (8mb). This document looks amazing thanks to the design genius of Cornelius from Frontier for the design – who is also behind our website and the CFN 2.0 Report. You can also see a more detailed version of the maps for Stage 1, Stage 2, and Stage 3. Feel free to download, print, distribute, draw on, set alight, decorate your room, or re-blog, just remember to cite!
[...]
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What is a tilt train?

A: A tilting train is a train that is designed to tilt into a curve to allow it to corner better at higher speeds. The main reason that conventional trains are required to slow down for curves is for the comfort of passengers. The limit at which a speeding train would derail on a tight corner is far beyond the level where people inside the cabin would experience uncomfortably strong lateral forces. Tilting trains are a cost-effective way to considerably improve cornering speeds on existing mainline tracks, for this reason, tilt trains can be found across the world including in Queensland as well as Japan.

Q: How fast could trains actually go in New Zealand?
A: 160 kilometres per hour is the feasible maximum service speed for tilt trains running on New Zealand’s narrow (1067mm) track gauge. Trains running on the same gauge achieve this speed in passenger service in Australia and Japan. This would require new purpose-built trains and track upgrades.

Q: Don’t tilt trains cause motion sickness?
A: Motion sickness was an issue on first generation tilt trains designed in the 1960s and 1970s, these used passive mechanical tilting systems that suffered from lag and jerkiness. This problem has been solved by modern computer controlled active tilt systems that predict curves using GPS and have smooth electric or hydraulic control.

Q: What is a dual mode train?
A: A dual mode train is one that can work on multiple propulsion systems. In this case, the rolling stock would be able to run on 25kvAC electrification of the NIMT and Auckland network as well as have a diesel-electric engine when the train is not under the wires. This means that electrification of the whole network is not mandatory making the programme much more affordable and feasible.

Q: I thought Dual Mode Trains were not allowed on KiwiRail network?

A: This restriction only applies to the freight locomotives which are much heavier and whose weight is spread over fewer axles. KiwiRail has confirmed to us that Dual mode multiple unit passenger trains are ok for the current network.
[...]
https://www.greaterauckland.org.nz/2017/08/17/introducing-regional-rapid-rail/

Costs of electrification aren't covered in this posting, but other factors are, like tilting trains and the use of hybrid (electric + diesel) propulsion.

Be sure to access the Regional Rapid Rail Report for a much deeper analysis.

Last edited:
As you can see, there are four VIA stations between Brockville and Toronto (Gananoque, Napanee, Trenton Junction and Port Hope) which have no single direct connection to Montreal, of which two stations (Napanee and Port Hope) have direct connections to Ottawa in eastbound direction only. Looking at all these other "intermediary markets", which ones exactly would loose frequencies (assuming the frequencies Kingston's mayor shared and assuming that most trains will stop at all stations)? And that's before we look at how difficult it is currently to make day trips from or to some of these stations (especially on weekends, when not all these trains operate):

The more I study VIA's current M-O-T schedule, the more impressed I am with the creative timings that VIA has gradually built up. For instance the 17:00 train out of Toronto that gives an almost-nonstop timing to Brockville with a 4:49 overall Toronto-Montreal timing, followed an hour later by an almost-express timing to Cornwall. Two choices for through passengers and the longer distance intermediate passengers aren't riding a milk run.

I would predict that CN will drive the entire schedule back to maybe 4-5 trains a day each way. VIA will likely choose to have them stopping Oshawa Cobourg Belleville Kingston Brockville Cornwall/Smiths Falls. CN won't object if the smaller stops are judiciously added, likely leading to one train being an all-stops run, with adverse impact on the end to end timing. The by-station counts that you provided would not be all that much lower, perhaps, but the entire service would be downgraded.

To properly serve the Lakeshore communities east of Toronto, I would say a basic service pattern of consistent bi-hourly timings is needed. With additional early morning and late evening trains that lay over at Kingston overnight. Hourly out of Toronto in the evening peak and an equally frequent inbound service for the morning commute. Some may be J trains as at present, and some interleaving between Ottawa and Montreal end points.

If VIA can tinker with that, perhaps skipping some stops to create more express format, and judiciously serving the lower volume stops, great. We will have to accept a predominantly stopping train timing (as opposed to the faster timing that some trains achieve today). But - the only question that matters - Will CN accept that?

VIA may have a commitment, confidentially..... or one might be negotiated closer to when HFR is ready to open. But we can't be sure. And, as we all seem to agree, CN can be difficult - so don't assume anything.

HFR has to be a transportation service plan for Lakeshore East, and not just a standalone profit center that runs in the black within its own scope but shortchanges communities that are served today. In my view - without a written assurance for at least a two hour pattern service, the risk of downgraded service to C-B-K-C is a showstopper for the whole scheme.

- Paul

PS: the section from Smiths Falls to Ottawa will need appropriate upgrading if a close-to-hourly HFR schedule, and a frequent Ottawa-Brockville schedule, are bothplanned. Even with advanced signalling, 30 minute headways will result in each train making two or more meets in that segment, losing a couple of minutes in the process.

The section I specifically referenced, in the Pickering to Whitby section of the route (in a previous post) has no grade challenges and limited need to rebuild over passes (a few , but not many) .
No disrespect intended, I'm just responding to your ideas. I'm not sure why you think this section of the 401 would allow new train tracks to be built in the highway ROW more easily than anywhere else on the highway. When I referenced grades I meant that the slopes, ditches and shoulders of the highway weren't designed with rail in mind. And even if there's physical room for new tracks, there would have to be major grading work to accommodate them. Plus new overpasses at every on ramp and off ramp. Not to mention that a new rail corridor is unnecessary in this area. There's already a dedicated passenger line right next to the highway, belonging to Metrolinx. Surely it would be easier to have Via trains use those tracks (with any necessary modifications) than to build tracks in a highway ROW that was never designed for them.

I was also noting in reply to another post, that IF any track were built in CN's ROW I would insist that it be VIA owned if VIA pays for it. Not the same as suggesting that either all or no track would be built within said corridor.
It seems likely to me that this has already been attempted. And it also seems likely that there's no way that CN would give up control of any of their ROW on their mainline. They don't get anything out of it.

The Peterborough route, by contrast, is almost all either abandoned by CP or sparsely used track in poor condition. An arrangement where the freight operator gives up control over this section in exchange for a rebuilt line would greatly benefit the freight company.

There's already a dedicated passenger line right next to the highway, belonging to Metrolinx. Surely it would be easier to have Via trains use those tracks (with any necessary modifications) than to build tracks in a highway ROW that was never designed for them.

It was precisely my suggestion that a dedicated VIA track be built adjacent to the existing GO Sub. The choice then exists to use the land immediately to the north or the south of said sub. Most (but not all) of the available space to the south is within the CN ROW. Those portions that are MTO and/or Metrolinx could be used for GO, or the CN portion could if they would sell it for a reasonable price.

The lands to the north of the GO sub are exclusively MTO and/or Metrolinx.

I suggested this portion of the corridor because its one I was aware of the GO sub being there, and the MTO ROW being there, and there being no level crossings already. This makes it a relatively easier stretch to do vs some other areas where land acquisition would be required or other complications would make the project more expensive.

The suggestion is not to use the paved portion of the ROW but rather the owned land to the south of it.

Done in conjunction with GO"s expansion of track in the LSE corridor (so going to 5 tracks from Stouffville junction, to Union and 4 tracks from that junction to Durham, would result in a VIA exclusive track from Union to Whitby.

That's enough to be of value and allow higher speeds, greater frequency and reliability (up to a point).

Piggybacked with the GO/Metrolinx project the cost could be shared and would be much more reasonable than as a stand-alone project.

GO's LSE upgrades will eliminate most remaining grade crossings of the LSE, leaving a only a small investment to finish the job to create a critical-mass gain.

It seems likely to me that this has already been attempted. And it also seems likely that there's no way that CN would give up control of any of their ROW on their mainline. They don't get anything out of it.

My proposal doesn't depend on CN, at this stage (though it might in the future if one is contemplating areas east of Whitby).

CN being on-side might make the proposal somewhat easier in certain spots, and its worth having the discussion, but nothing more.

CN may (or may not) be persuaded, but the key is to offer a reasonable purchase price for portions of their ROW where this would make sense. in which case they get both the cash, and VIA out of their way at the same time.

Alternatively or in conjunction with such a price, one might consider offering overnight running rights (paid) but reasonable which would expand CN's capacity at VIA's upfront cost.

In any event, my limited-scope, near-term proposal does not require their cooperation.

The Peterborough route, by contrast, is almost all either abandoned by CP or sparsely used track in poor condition. An arrangement where the freight operator gives up control over this section in exchange for a rebuilt line would greatly benefit the freight company.

This is true.

But my concern here is that it is a sizable investment, not that much cheaper than upgrading the Kingston sub; and it is not upgradable to HSR, at least not at a remotely reasonable or similar cost to the investment along Lakeshore.

It also only improves trip time at the margins, which I have identified as key concern for me. I appreciate other users may identify other concerns more at issue to them.

But for me, the travel times are currently and would remain unacceptably long.

The alternative of strategic investments along the Lake route would not achieve much better in the near term; but have much better long-term potential, rolled out in increments over time.

It Ptbo can be delivered without sacrificing the future path to HSR, then by all means lets go for it, if the price is right.

I'm simply sceptical that we are subbing a great idea delivered over time for a mediocre one delivered more quickly.

You'll be surprised to learn that the "Canadian" recovers only an insignificantly lower share of its costs as the Corridor (64.8% vs. 65.9% in 2017) and easily exceeds the Corridor in its peak summer season (i.e. Q3):
1545768706624.png

Compiled from: VIA Rail Quarterly Report 2018-Q3 (p.5)

Via Rail's ridership rose in 2015, helping Canada's national passenger train service cut its annual operating loss by 12 per cent to $280-million.

The Crown corporation said passenger-miles rose by 1.7 per cent last year and revenue climbed by 6 per cent, the first time in seven years both categories have increased.

Total government funding declined to $378-million while on-time performance fell to 71 per cent from 76 per cent, a deterioration Via Rail blamed on the freight railways that own the tracks.

Taxpayer subsidies for every Via Rail passenger were $73 in 2015, compared with $83 in 2014. The subsidies are lowest – $42 – in the Southern Ontario and Quebec corridor. Long-haul subsidies were almost $500 per passenger while regional services were subsidized at $607, Via Rail said in its annual report released on Friday.
[...]
Yves Desjardins-Siciliano, Via Rail's chief executive officer, is spearheading an effort to buy and build dedicated passenger tracks in the busy Toronto-Montreal-Ottawa corridors. The $4-billion proposal, which will require $2-billion from private-sector pension funds, would allow Via Rail to improve on-time performance and boost revenue by running more trains.

"Our plan to build infrastructure dedicated to passengers will eliminate over five million car trips annually," Via Rail said in its report. "This means a reduction of 10.8 million tons of CO2 equivalent, over the life of the project. This represents 1.5 per cent of Canada's total GHG emissions or 13 per cent of all car emissions."
[...]

Between 2014 (the year of YDS's appointment as VIA Rail CEO) and 2017, the core performance metrics developed as follows:
  • Financials: Revenue +30.5%, Cost +5.6%, Deficit -16.3%, Cost-Recovery Rate (CRR) +11%-points.
  • Volume: Passengers +15.6%, Passenger-miles +18.1%
  • Efficiency: Subsidy per passenger -27.6%, Subsidy per passenger-mile -29.1%, Subsidy per $ passenger revenue -35.9%
1545770263797.png
1545770313735.png

Compiled from: VIA Rail Annual Reports 2014 and 2017

Yet all I read from self-proclaimed "rail enthusiasts" is that VIA Rail is dying, has a management which doesn't understand the industry it serves, pursues projects which are simultaneously under- or overambitious (depending on whether you ask Paul Langan or Greg Gormick)...^^

But let's not rant about that on this day, so Merry Christmas everyone and thank you for sharing and discussing your ideas (and the growing optimism for the future of passenger rail in Canada I sense),

Urban Sky

Last edited:
I wish VIA would start up a summer motorcycle program. I'd love to have my motorcycle and myself transported to a distant Ontario rail stop, then I ride around for a couple of days and get back on the train for the return to TO. They do this elsewhere.

http://splodzblogz.co.uk/2015/11/25/motorbike-tour-of-europe/

europe-tunnel02.jpg

If Amtrak can do it, I'd say VIA should give it a shot. Though Amtrak is just servicing Snowbirds who rarely see camber wear.

100_2123.JPG

Still on my wish list. It would be great to ride the rails to distant wilderness stations and then ride motorcycles into the country.

@Admiral Beez

Absolutely with you. I love the car transporters on Eurotunnel. Maybe not on Corridor. But should be done on the Canadian and the Ocean.
Eurotunnel is an exception as it is the only land connection between Great Britain (an island with almost twice the population of Canada) and continental Europe (which has just over twice the population of the United States). Everywhere else in Europe, passenger trains offering the transport of automobiles are close to extinction, just like night trains.

As for North America, the only remaining train transporting passengers together with a personal automobile is Amtrak's Auto Train, which transports automobiles and their occupants (in separate sleeper cars) between Lorton VA (near Washington DC) and Sanford FL (near Orlando and Disneyworld).

I don't think that there is any long-distance car travel volume anywhere within Canada which would be even remotely comparable to DC-Florida (families are much more likely to travel south for vacations than east-west) and the last reference to personal automobiles transported by train I could find in Canadian passenger train timetables were from 1941 - which, however, clearly refer to the possibility to have your car shipped in freight trains ahead of your own travel in a passenger train so that you have your car waiting for you at your destination (nevertheless, feel free to roam my timetable archive to search for more recent references or those which refer to the transport of passengers and their automobiles in the same train):

1545799064204.png
1545798953301.png

Source: CN timetable effective 1941-06-22 (p.35) and CP timetable effective 1941-06-29 (p.60)

The big problems with car transport on passenger trains is that the loading and unloading of automobiles takes so much time that it is only practical at the origin or destination of a passenger train and that the train length makes stops at intermediate stations impractical:

Amtrak’s Auto Train, 2006-present
Fred Klein, 2015
The Auto Train is a long, mixed train that carries passengers in Superliner passenger cars and their autos in 89’ auto carriers from Lorton VA (near Washington DC) to Sanford FL (near Orlando and Disneyworld). The train was re-equipped with new auto carriers in 2006, and the whole train was repainted in the phase VI (also known as IVb) paint scheme featuring the current Amtrak “wave” logo. It is a long train, often exceeding ¾ mile with about 38 cars or more. The car limit is 50 cars. The train is too long to make intermediate passenger stops, which are not really needed anyway. The terminals in Virginia and Florida are built to load the cars in groups before the auto carriers are assembled into a train, and loading ramps efficiently load autos from end doors. Today it is one of Amtrak’s most popular trains and is the highest grossing of any of its trains. [...]
http://www.trainweb.org/fredatsf/Amtrak-autotrain-2006.htm

That said, there are multiple private freight forwarding companies which will happily help you getting your car shipped by rail between any two major cities in Canada:
1545800013270.png

1545800092467.png

1545800143575.png

Last edited:
You'll be surprised to learn that the "Canadian" recovers only an insignificantly lower share of its costs as the Corridor (64.8% vs. 65.9% in 2017) and easily exceeds the Corridor in its peak summer season (i.e. Q3):
Indeed! Clearly, a huge oversight on my part. I knew that, but forgot at the time of making my point...but it lends itself to my point in a round-about way. It's such a success that it 'stands-apart' from the Corridor and The Rest (there might be an exception on one of the Maritime routes, but I digress), and thus lends itself to either being a division within VIA....or the awful truth of such success....'privatizing it' and the Nation accept that such success shouldn't be subsidizing the hemorrhaging routes, it should be left to bask in the sunshine of its fiscal achievement, and allowed to plough back its earnings into making it even more of a success. It might be due still a small subsidy for Nation Building at the least.

There's very good logic in keeping the low fiscal score routes running in many cases, but the "Canadian" shouldn't be held back by them. And the Corridor is on the verge of graduating too, as many of us agree. Fingers crossed on an announcement soon...

Meantime, as the brighter students graduate, the underachievers must remain wards of the state, and their existence maintained on a separate ledger, if not department, even if that 'department' retains VIA to run them. It's time to unburden VIA's books to further attract private investment.

Last edited:
1545768706624-png.168771

Indeed! Clearly, a huge oversight on my part.
The difference was even stronger the year before:
1545801871941.png

Last edited:
View attachment 168771

Between 2014 (the year of YDS's appointment as VIA Rail CEO) and 2017, the core performance metrics developed as follows:
  • Financials: Revenue +30.5%, Cost +5.6%, Deficit -16.3%, Cost-Recovery Rate (CRR) +11%-points.
  • Volume: Passengers +15.6%, Passenger-miles +18.1%
  • Efficiency: Subsidy per passenger -27.6%, Subsidy per passenger-mile -29.1%, Subsidy per $ passenger revenue -35.9%
View attachment 168790View attachment 168791
Compiled from: VIA Rail Annual Reports 2014 and 2017

Yet all I read from self-proclaimed "rail enthusiasts" is that VIA Rail is dying, has a management which doesn't understand the industry it serves, pursues projects which are simultaneously under- or overambitious (depending on whether you ask Paul Langan or Greg Gormick)...^^

But let's not rant about that on this day, so Merry Christmas everyone and thank you for sharing and discussing your ideas (and the growing optimism for the future of passenger rail in Canada I sense),

Urban Sky

When I read this, it looks like VIA is bleeding money everywhere. No route breaks even or makes more than it costs.. I wonder what it would take to make it break even on at least the Corridor.

When I read this, it looks like VIA is bleeding money everywhere.
I beg to differ, albeit it's a case of 'half empty or half full'. If I were an investor with a bent for rail, I'd look *especially* at The Canadian and think: "Considering they're running up-hill with CN, old cars and locos (of which the locos don't really matter, since as long as they're running in reasonable shape, you can just mu them to get the traction needed) and a tired management and promotional regime, yet they pack the trains. And look how close that farebox return is to showing profit. Inject some capital into the right places, re-organize the structure, management and costs and it's a winner".
I wonder what it would take to make it break even on at least the Corridor.
The Corridor is a very different business model. It doesn't even have to show a profit to be a money-maker! That's not a contradiction in terms.

Here's a projection: Brightline also doesn't show a profit, but will make bundles for FEC (or the parent company, now including Virgin) How? Spin-offs!

It's going to be tougher for D-S to convince the Feds to break VIA into segments even than to approve HFR. But to attract investors, and the InfraBank might already have put the word to the Feds...the heavy loser routes are spoiling the winners. And poisoning how the books look to outsiders with deep pockets.

It might take a sharp knife to do some cutting before HFR can be a healthy birth. The money losers have to be fire-walled from the winners/potential-winners.

Last edited:

Back