News   Apr 26, 2024
 438     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 350     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 548     0 

VIA Rail

Do you use the number of passengers boarding/alighting each train, the revenue generated from those boardings/alightings, or the total revenue from the train(s), or some factor of the perceived value? Things get even more complicated when you look at trains like the Ocean, which serves as an additional corridor train between Montreal and Sainte-Foy. The passengers that travel east of Sainte-Foy generate more revenue, but their direct costs are also higher, so is it fair to assign a higher percentage of the in-direct costs to it?

One thing to consider is having VIA transfer ownership and responsibility of stations that they own outside of the corridor to the local government. Those non-corridor stations are underutilized and the local government is better able to find alternate uses for the station when not needed by VIA.
I'm not sure how they calculate it, since I don't work for them. They sell train tickets though... they probably have lots and lots of data on city pairs, costs per km, costs per station, etc. It's not that difficult to create meaningful insights with that kind of data. Nowadays any ERP can do that kind of analysis and provide tools for planning and reporting (that's actually my line of work, for what it's worth :p )

It was a promise made in the run up to the election. Basically an election promise. If they didn't have the ability to meet it, why make the promise? Alghabra could have easily pledged a January launch.
Honestly I'm thinking they already forgot about HFR until the next election. Fed liberals will pay / contribute to infrastructure but don't like planning it. Hence why fed run projects are pretty much at standstill since 2015. (ahem... F35, DND, NWMO long term storage, HFR, etc.)

The only think we got was RFP in the fall, and they couldn't even manage that. I feel like the reason we haven't seen any specific plans is there literally are none.

I'm not sure how they calculate it, since I don't work for them. They sell train tickets though... they probably have lots and lots of data on city pairs, costs per km, costs per station, etc. It's not that difficult to create meaningful insights with that kind of data. Nowadays any ERP can do that kind of analysis and provide tools for planning and reporting (that's actually my line of work, for what it's worth :p )

I think you are missing the point. There are many ways they could do it, and none are perfect. I am sure there are reasons for whatever method they use, but there will always be compromises.

It was a promise made in the run up to the election. Basically an election promise. If they didn't have the ability to meet it, why make the promise? Alghabra could have easily pledged a January launch.

I see your point but I think the RFP was actually mentioned in the budget? Or was the funding announced in the budget and the RFP timing came sometime during the summer?

I certainly agree that since he's been appointed Minister for several weeks now there's been more than enough time to provide an RFP update.

I see your point but I think the RFP was actually mentioned in the budget? Or was the funding announced in the budget and the RFP timing came sometime during the summer?

I certainly agree that since he's been appointed Minister for several weeks now there's been more than enough time to provide an RFP update.
This is what the Federal Budget 2021 stated:
D41D7B63-B022-4688-9974-71F83F5458B6.jpeg
C160BC76-1F32-4CF6-944E-6278463635CC.jpeg

^I read through this past week’s Economic Update document…. VIA did get one mention, (p54) cited as an example of how some programs are demonstrating increased revenue beyond plan. This was offered as good news offsetting the added spending and borrowing for Covid recovery. Seems like a meal made of small potatoes to me.

There was a list of projects that Ottawa is accelerating as a recovery stimulus…. HFR did not make that list.

- Paul

To me, the key word is “expected.” That indicates to me some level of probability but not certainty.

Also, wouldn’t the RFP be published by VIA? I am not sure if I have ever seen a new RFP included as part of federal budget.

Pretty unusual not to mention a $10-12B project that they might launch in a fiscal update.

I would imagine the RFP and project management might be undertaken by the Joint Project Office.

Does that mean Niagra Falls-bound trains backtracked a bit to serve Dundas on the line?
One could indeed think that when looking at the April 1962 schedule, with indications like 17-692, 5-696, 691-14 or 693-6 suggesting that the Toronto-Niagara Falls RDC was attached to a Toronto-London(-Windsor/Sarnia/Chicago) train between Toronto and Dundas:
1639621861266.png

Source: CN timetable effective 1962-04-29

However, when looking closer at the RDC timings (trains 691/692/693/694/695/696), one notices that they actually line up to a nice cycle once you ignore the Toronto-Dundas section:

Train #691693695
Niagara Falls dep.06:5012:3517:20
Dundas arr.08:15 (est.)13:50 (est.)18:35
Train #692694696
Dundas dep.09:0014:1519:00
Niagara Falls arr.10:3015:3520:40

This leaves me to believe that the RDCs merely connected with trains 17, 5, 14 and 6 at Dundas, which would have made 89-90 the only through train.

In any case, the experiment only lasted one summer, as the direct connection between Niagara Falls and Dundas was eliminated later the same year, with the notable exception of Sunday-only RDCs 651 (NIAG 17:20 / Dundas 18:45) and 654 (Dundas 19:15 / NIAG 20:45):
1639621916806.png

Source: CN timetable effective 1962-10-28

However, even that once-weekly train only survived until the next summer, when Dundas was removed again from the Toronto-Niagara Falls table:
1639621032841.png

Source: CN timetable effective 1963-04-28

In short, even though Dundas was indeed served from Niagara Falls for a few months in 1962, it does not appear as if they continued beyond Dundas and towards Toronto. Therefore, the only trains to operate through Bayview Junction twice were the Toronto-Hamilton-London(-Windsor/Sarnia/Chicago) trains I had mentioned in my previous post and which all dropped the detour via Hamilton by Summer 1967...

That said, CN timetables are notoriously blurry about which trains are running through and which trains have a connection, as both are often shown in the same way (note train 89-90, where 89 refers to its westbound train number from Niagara Falls to Hamilton and 90 to its eastbound train number from Hamilton to Toronto). My favorite is train 83, which is shown below:

1639622061840.png

Source: CN timetable effective 1961-04-30

Regardless of how often you look at it, it appears to be a Toronto-London through train, departing in Toronto at 13:15 and stopping in London for 40 minutes (17:10-17:50), before continuing to Windsor, where it arrives at 20:40.

However, when you carefully look at the equipment, you notice something odd:

1639620118635.png

Let's just put this in a table again:
Car typeTrain numberRoute
Coach75-83Toronto-[75]-London-[83]-Windsor
Coach83Toronto-[83]-London
Coach75-83Toronto-[75]-London-[83]-Windsor
Coach83-186Toronto-[83]-Hamilton-[186]-Niagara Falls
Parlor75-83Toronto-[75]-London-[83]-Windsor

Did you note what was missing in the above? Any indication of a car traveling on train 83 both East and West of London. I went through dozens of CN schedules and every single one from November 1946 to the discontinuance of train 83/183 in April 1962 states the same: through cars Toronto-London-Windsor only on train 75-83, cars departing Toronto on train 83 terminate in London...

Last edited:
Is issuing the RFP the first part of the process? Perhaps they mean they will start writing the RFP. Perhaps they mean putting together the work unit that will write the RFP.

I don't have any inside info on this; at face-value, I would read it to say that an RFP would be out to the market in Fall 2021, whether or not that was their intention, I couldn't say.

Last edited:
I was critical of the lack of detail months ago. Who launches in to a $10B project without a rough timeline?

I could even understand if they came out and said Covid set back the schedule.

Back