News   Jun 24, 2024
 202     0 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 4.9K     6 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.9K     3 

VIA Rail

I get that for some old farts (like yourself) all investment pools look the same. But they are not.
Really? Gosh...who woulda thunk? The point was investors pulling their money out, to the tune of $Billions. I guess they're just going to stuff it under their mattress like you do. The money, that is.

The goalposts are in a completely separate location and the demographics/economics related to electrification makes a lot more sense today than it did back then.

I'd argue, that it hasn't moved that much. There's been population growth. But it's not substantial enough to change the business case. And speaking of the latter, the massive inflation in the construction sector has actually resulted in cost appreciation outstripping population and economic growth. We're probably a tad worse off if anything.

(A compromise, such as requiring 10% of corridor length being made 240kph capable committed within an agreed-upon time period, to unlock private investment, while keeping budgets low enough by eliminating the need for full-length luxury greenfield HSR corridors).

Politicians can impose whatever conditions they like. Whether investors are willing to pay for those conditions is another matter altogether. If you were an investor and the above imposition worsened your business case, how would you react?

The change to the VIA Rail Act (or winning governmental approvals needed) is big step, but we have a grand opportunity here to align Corridor electrification (and incrementally towards HSR), rail investment recruitment, AND do a bit-contribution towards Paris Agreement.

Three birds with one stone!

I wish I could share your optimism. I honestly do. But I suspect the government will do the absolute bare minimum that is politically palatable. And it's debatable if they are willing to invest in VIA. They've shown no serious inclination so far. And I'm not convinced that private sector capital is the panacea some think it will be. Mainly because I don't trust the government to allow deployment of private sector capital without political meddling. What happens when there's inevitable conflict between investors objectives and political objectives (say, for example maintaining service at the smaller stops)?

I'll be more optimistic, when I see more than nice words from this government.

Really? Gosh...who woulda thunk? The point was investors pulling their money out, to the tune of $Billions. I guess they're just going to stuff it under their mattress like you do. The money, that is.

You clearly don't get how finance works. And you think that investors pulling out of hedge funds will pad public pension funds, of all things. More proof that you think all pools of money are the same.

And you doubled down on the condescension. Welcome to my ignore list. Few less long screed of posts to read for me. You're the first, in all my years here. Nice knowing ya.

Last edited:
There is undoubtedly a role to play for large pools like CPPIB, Caisse, Teacher's, etc. But my skepticism is based on several doubts:

1) Is is truly a better deal for the taxpayer than simply resorting to debt financing?
2) What conditions will they require as investors, which may impede political outcomes or inflate the costs?
3) Why would they only finance the railroad and not insist on profit sharing?

The last one in particular is a nagging question for me. If I had a massive capital pool that you wanted access to, and I knew that you were desperate to access that pot of money, why would I, as an investor, not seek to maximise my return?

Lol. Like pension funds build retirement homes.
They do, a lot of them. All you had to do was Google before posting, but hey...

From the now disappeared post from TOAreaFan:
Ontario Green bonds are not asset backed bonds....they are bonds issued by the province of Ontario earmarked for (but not secured by) specific environmentally sound projects. In fact the government acknowledges they are no different than other bonds they issue

About the RIA The Responsible Investment Association (RIA) is Canada’s leader on responsible investment (RI). RI refers to the integration of environmental, social, and governance (ESG) criteria into investment selection and management. We are a national, membership-based organization composed of financial institutions, mutual fund companies, investment firms, financial advisors, and various organizations and individuals who practice and support responsible investing. The RIA and its members strongly believe that RI is a valuable investment tool to enhance returns, reduce risk, and catalyze positive social change.

Most green bonds have been either treasury-style retail bonds, with a fixed rate of interest and redeemable in full on maturity, or asset-backed securities tied to specific green infrastructure projects.
https://riacanada.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Green-Bonds-fact-sheet.pdf

Last edited:
They do, a lot of them. All you had to do was Google before posting, but hey...

From the now disappeared post from TOAreaFan:

https://riacanada.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Green-Bonds-fact-sheet.pdf
My post has not disappeared...it is right there on page 63.

a) can you make it bit clearer that the second quotation above is not from my post...because
b) in a discussion about Ontario bonds, where I was responding to your suggestion that Ontario bonds were asset backed, what do we care how "most" Green bonds are done.....Ontario has issued $1.25B of Green Bonds and on their own web page they state/acknowledge that these are bonds exactly like all the other bonds they have issued.

a) can you make it bit clearer that the second quotation above is not from my post...because
b) in a discussion about Ontario bonds, where I was responding to your suggestion that Ontario bonds were asset backed, what do we care how "most" Green bonds are done.....Ontario has issued $1.25B of Green Bonds and on their own web page they state/acknowledge that these are bonds exactly like all the other bonds they have issued.
Most Green Bonds are *asset backed* or otherwise secured.

Where's your link? Every source I've looked at by Googling your 'quote' states they are mostly asset backed. So supply a link so the context can be examined.
Green Bonds will not increase the Province’s borrowing program, but will be used to fund the existing borrowing program.
http://www.ofina.on.ca/pdf/green_bond_qa.pdf

So how, exactly, does that "increase debt"?

Last edited:

Thankfully don't have to read quote walls of text anymore. This thread is so much cleaner....

In any event, my understanding of the Ontario Green Bond program was that it was quite frankly greenwashing of provincial debt. They simply issued new debt raised for ostensibly "green" projects as Green Bonds. They are not asset backed. The are not linked to any project revenue. There's really nothing green or special about them at all. It's just a label for debt raised to pay for environmentally friendly infrastructure.

Thankfully don't have to read quote walls of text anymore. This thread is so much cleaner....

In any event, my understanding of the Ontario Green Bond program was that it was quite frankly greenwashing of provincial debt. They simply issued new debt raised for ostensibly "green" projects as Green Bonds. They are not asset backed. The are not linked to any project revenue. There's really nothing green or special about them at all. It's just a label for debt raised to pay for environmentally friendly infrastructure.
Perhaps you could get a job advising the funds, Keith? Sounds like they really need to be straightened out.
TORONTO/MONTREAL (Reuters) - Canadian pension fund Caisse de depot et placement du Quebec said on Friday that it would invest C$3 billion ($2.36 billion) in a new public transport network in Montreal, the third largest of its kind in the world.

The network will link downtown Montreal, the South Shore, the West Island, the North Shore and Montreal's airport in a 67 km (41.6 miles) light rail transit system comprising 24 stations which will be operating 20 hours a day, seven days a week.

The C$5.5 billion project, a public-private partnership would require the remaining C$2.5 billion investment to come in funding from the governments of the province of Quebec and Canada, the Caisse said in a statement.

...Bombardier Inc ...said Friday it would consider bidding on the Quebec project. [...]
http://ca.reuters.com/article/businessNews/idCAKCN0XJ1TN

Bloomberg and many others now reporting on this.

http://www.ofina.on.ca/pdf/green_bond_qa.pdf

This was the link in my first post about Ontario Green bonds....then you show the same link and ask me for my link? I am not sure what game you are playing.

Read #8.....you can either read it by clicking the link that I gave...and you repeated....or you can read it from the quote box in my post on page 63?

kEiThZ has it right when he says:

About the ultrahighfrequency Montreal commuter rail initiative:

Reuters are calling it a "light rail transit system".
Globe & Mail is calling it "automated".
But this appears to be a heavy-rail corridor.

Sounds a lot like a RER system involving Euro-standard strength lighter weight trains (not FRA-standard) running in a CBTC-controlled mainline corridor, no?

The Montreal rail line is essentially a light Metro system. Financed by Caisse. But dependent on Quebec and federal funds to fully implement. I'd argue that might only happen in a place like Quebec, where the government can direct its pension funds to pitch in. I doubt CPPIB and Teacher's would take kindly to such "suggestion". Moreover is it even in our (broader national) interest to do the same for VIA?

http://business.financialpost.com/n...astructure-were-looking-for-projects-of-scale

I'm sure the pension funds want in. I still question whether it's in the taxpayer's interest (see 407...). All because there's no political appetite to simply plop down the $4 billion out of the next few budgets? This government is projecting $130 billion in deficits over 5 years and that's with over a trillion in total spending. It's laughable to think they need the private sector to fund $4 billion in rail construction. If they really wanted to, they could put $1 billion per year and have this done substantially by the next election.

But who knows. Maybe the Trudeau government is happy to pay hundreds of millions more in interest to avoid $4 billion debt....

ps. The Montreal deal also goes with other caveats..... For example, sole source rolling stock contract to.....

http://www.canadianmanufacturing.com/manufacturing/caisse-buys-30ision-for-1-5b-157959/

Last edited:

Back