News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 927     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 358     0 

VIA Rail

That said, my wife's from London. And I've not heard a single one of her relatives or friends say anything but that they would love a better connection to Toronto and better local transit service.

No disrespect meant to your spouse, or her friends and family, but I have long been looking for a sign that Londoners have turned the corner from their traditional "just lower my taxes and I will live with the result" mentality. I do hope that's changing.

The Highway 401 construction, and the way that 401 congestion is growing faster than lanes can be added, screams for a rail solution. Toronto-London may not be HFR/HSR's first priority, but it's sure a case study that makes the case. It's the one place on the corridor where "build it and they will come" is a sound business case.

As places like London and Peterborough and Cobourg turn into larger bedroom communities, they will see some appreciation. But that lift will be broad, across the whole community. There won't be substantial tax increases for anyone, except maybe in the trendiest of neighbourhoods.

And, as importantly, putting these communities on a HSR/HFR map will lead to development, which broadens the tax base, which means government can provide better services within the existing mill rate. The sooner this happens, the better. The economics of real estate market versus transportation cost and time spent will work just fine to determine who wants to be a long distance commuter and who prefers to live closer to the office.

- Paul

No disrespect meant to your spouse, or her friends and family, but I have long been looking for a sign that Londoners have turned the corner from their traditional "just lower my taxes and I will live with the result" mentality. I do hope that's changing.

I always say London Ontario is the largest hick town in Canada.

MPAC does an assessment of your house value. Part of that is based on the potential sale price of it. That is then sent to the local municipality. They then use it to apply the calculated tax rate. So, if in your area, more houses sell for higher prices, you will see that assessment go up, which then will raise your property taxes.
If in a particular neighbourhood, prices go up, say 20%, but only 10% overall in that city, then your taxes may go up. But those variations don't tend to sustain themselves, and ultimately tend to cancel each other out.

If everyone's house suddenly went up 100% overnight, then no one's property taxes would change - other than the city needing more money because of inflation, etc. (though often this is counter-balanced by growth).

That's still there. I doubt they want to actually pay anything for the infrastructure. Just look at their debate on an LRT or even BRT network. But, I haven't heard anyone say they wouldn't want better rail service to Toronto, because they are somehow concerned that yuppies from TO will drive up home prices. This is already happening in London with existing infrastructure and they recognize it as a fact of life. Heck, most of them see this as a positive.

The Highway 401 construction, and the way that 401 congestion is growing faster than lanes can be added, screams for a rail solution. Toronto-London may not be HFR/HSR's first priority, but it's sure a case study that makes the case. It's the one place on the corridor where "build it and they will come" is a sound business case.

Yep. The congestion is getting terrible. We drive from Scarborough to London. Routinely takes closer to 3 hrs with traffic pre-Covid. On some days and at certain times, far worse than that. It's a great market for any rail investment. Even if all they get is an HFR project that has hourly service and 2 hr trips from London to Union, I think it'll be very popular. Especially if there's a stop at Pearson en route. There's also the London-Kitchener commute potential too.

And, as importantly, putting these communities on a HSR/HFR map will lead to development, which broadens the tax base, which means government can provide better services within the existing mill rate. The sooner this happens, the better.

Yep. Building these transport links is really the only way to rejuvenate rust belt towns. Here and in the US. It allows development to spread out. And London has a solid base to build on with the insurance sector there.

The economics of real estate market versus transportation cost and time spent will work just fine to determine who wants to be a long distance commuter and who prefers to live closer to the office.

Yep. It's actually popular now in Cobourg, Belleville, Kitchener and to a lesser extent London and Kingston. Should take off substantially and add Peterborough to the list, after HFR. Should add, we've talked a lot about Kingston. But the real beneficiaries of the Kingston hub will be Trenton, Belleville, Port Hope, Cobourg and Smiths Falls. That last one seeing service from Kingston and HFR.

You cannot divorce infrastructure from its impacts. Rail is no different on this front than building a highway. If HSR was built to London, it wouldn't be built to service commuters. But there's no way to stop commuters from using it. And without at least some element of commuting there's definitely no business case. There's no HSR in the world that does not rely on a long distance commuter base to provide base demand.

So it really does come down to whether you want HSR with all the second order effects that rapid rail transportation brings, or no HSR. Cities should be given the choice. But no wavering. It's expensive to build HSR through a city with no station there. If London wants cheap housing, they can be bypassed with any rail corridor routed direct to Windsor. Or better yet, terminate in Kitchener, where people actually want improved rail service. And Londoners can live with that decision for the decades to come.

That said, my wife's from London. And I've not heard a single one of her relatives or friends say anything but that they would love a better connection to Toronto and better local transit service.

This is not about divorcing it, but it is about planning for it. So, for example, the city needs to prepare the city for the explosion in growth that it will face. If they can tune the growth to the need, prices will rise, but not that extreme. The problem is that we tend to plan growth as an after thought to the transportation improvements. Building HSR out to Kitchener first isn't a horrible idea. The 401 used to be 6 lanes to Kitchener and then 4 lanes to Windsor. It is only recently that the section between Woodstock and Kitchener was widened to 6 lanes.

I have a cousin who recently bought a house. First time home buyer. She had been think about it for about 10 years, and has told me that in the last 5 years, she noticed that the houses were going for a much higher rate in the same area than before. She did end up in a bidding war with people from Toronto. She won not because she was the highest bidder, but because they were from Toronto and she was from London, and the sellers had lived in that house for 40 years.

That's how assessment works. But not how property taxes work.

Cities set a budget and then adjust the mill rate which allocates the tax levy against the assessed value. You don't pay a percentage of the assessed value. You pay the mill rate. Therefore, a rising home value won't increase your taxes, unless your home value is rising at a much faster rate than the rest of your community. If every single house in a city gains 10% in value, there will be no change in property taxes unless the city wants to raise more revenue. If your house goes up 10% while the rest of the city sees no gain, than your taxes will go up 10%.

As places like London and Peterborough and Cobourg turn into larger bedroom communities, they will see some appreciation. But that lift will be broad, across the whole community. There won't be substantial tax increases for anyone, except maybe in the trendiest of neighbourhoods.

" It is a figure that represents the amount per $1,000 of the assessed value of the property, which is used to calculate the amount of property tax. "
In other words, if your house was assessed $10,000 higher, you pay a higher tax due to that 10x $1000 that it has risen by.

Another factor is that if your neighbour has been there for 40 years, and you just bought the house, for a few years, you will pay more than them, as when you buy, your tax rate is based off of

And, as importantly, putting these communities on a HSR/HFR map will lead to development, which broadens the tax base, which means government can provide better services within the existing mill rate. The sooner this happens, the better. The economics of real estate market versus transportation cost and time spent will work just fine to determine who wants to be a long distance commuter and who prefers to live closer to the office.

- Paul

London is it's own city. No one really commutes far from it for work. The idea of making it like Kitchener; a bedroom community for Toronto, for some, is a horrible thing. One day, I can see GO going there from Hamilton and Kitchener. Even HSR will go there. The challenge will be preventing crazy growth. Part of the problem with growth is the city is surrounded by prime farmland. Every time I go for a visit, it saddens me than a new area is now converted from farmland to urban sprawl. It really hit me in the North End when the Walmart was located there. I've lived there for a few years, and although it is a large city, it doesn't feel like it.

If in a particular neighbourhood, prices go up, say 20%, but only 10% overall in that city, then your taxes may go up. But those variations don't tend to sustain themselves, and ultimately tend to cancel each other out.

If everyone's house suddenly went up 100% overnight, then no one's property taxes would change - other than the city needing more money because of inflation, etc. (though often this is counter-balanced by growth).

The evening out happens every few years, when MPAC does a reassessment on the properties.

That's still there. I doubt they want to actually pay anything for the infrastructure. Just look at their debate on an LRT or even BRT network. But, I haven't heard anyone say they wouldn't want better rail service to Toronto, because they are somehow concerned that yuppies from TO will drive up home prices. This is already happening in London with existing infrastructure and they recognize it as a fact of life. Heck, most of them see this as a positive.

It may be a fact of life, but it still upsets people. Several of my family members have spoken about that.

Yep. The congestion is getting terrible. We drive from Scarborough to London. Routinely takes closer to 3 hrs with traffic pre-Covid. On some days and at certain times, far worse than that. It's a great market for any rail investment. Even if all they get is an HFR project that has hourly service and 2 hr trips from London to Union, I think it'll be very popular. Especially if there's a stop at Pearson en route. There's also the London-Kitchener commute potential too.

Converting the 4 lanes to 6 lanes really has helped. I am seeing bridges being rebuilt to accommodate more lanes. This a good thing. The province is working with the roads.

Yep. Building these transport links is really the only way to rejuvenate rust belt towns. Here and in the US. It allows development to spread out. And London has a solid base to build on with the insurance sector there.

It's manufacturing is still a decent base too. Funny thing is my cousin works in insurance and her husband in manufacturing.

" It is a figure that represents the amount per $1,000 of the assessed value of the property, which is used to calculate the amount of property tax. "
In other words, if your house was assessed $10,000 higher, you pay a higher tax due to that 10x $1000 that it has risen by.
That's not how it works. If your's was $10K higher, but everyone elses was $20K higher, your taxes would go down.

Cities don't raise and lower tax rates (they always seem to lower these days ... I've never seen a rise). They set a budget, and then later on bureaucrats divide the budget by the total assessed value of city, every year, to get a tax rate.

It may not be common, but it can happen that an old, established becomes trendy and the property values of that neighborhood skyrocket compared to the rest of the city/municipality. In that case, people who have lived there for a long time can see a significant increase in taxes. For those cases, I would like to see some type of property tax control (similar to rent control) that limits how much the assessed value of a home can rise while it is under the same owner (without significant upgrades to the house). Once the property is sold or a major renovation is done, it would be reassessed to its current market value. This is a completely different case than what is being discussed though, where the whole city sees an increase in property value.

The problem is that we tend to plan growth as an after thought to the transportation improvements.

Maybe in Sudbury you don't do much planning for growth, but here in Ottawa at least, city council does a lot of growth planning. It may not be the type of growth you like (sprawl vs. densification) but you can't say city council isn't planning for it.

One part of growth planning we are weak at though is with schools. The province is very reactive rather than proactive. They will wait until the existing schools are bursting at the seams before they will even consider a proposal to build a new school, which will take another 5 years to plan and construct (and even then they will wait a few years before approving it).

Part of the problem with growth is the city is surrounded by prime farmland. Every time I go for a visit, it saddens me than a new area is now converted from farmland to urban sprawl.

I wish Ontario would create an Agricultural Land Reserve, like they have in BC to help protect valuable farm land.

FWIW - I posed a question to the Metrolinx TPAP for the Scarborough Junction grade separation regarding VIA Rail's potential use of the Stouffville line as an alternative to a HFR routing down the Don Valley.

The TPAP report page 6.30 presents a response. It's not definitive, but it's an acknowledgement of the issue. One has to assume that the two agencies have discussed the issue.

- Paul

Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 3.45.45 PM.png

Last edited:
This is not about divorcing it, but it is about planning for it.

That is not VIA's job. That is the job of local authorities.

So, for example, the city needs to prepare the city for the explosion in growth that it will face.

First off, the "explosion" will not be as huge as you think. Yes, there will be more commuters from London. But the kind of folks who have jobs that will allow them to WFH substantially and pay enough to afford an HFR/HSR a few times a week is a rather small set. They are a big enough set to provide base ridership for such a service. But not such a large set that London's growth rate would explode. This is a far bigger issue for cities that haven't seen the same ex-urban growth, like Peterborough. For London, those Toronto yuppies are already coming. They just won't be clogging up the highways now.

Next, don't blame VIA, Queen's Park or the Feds for shit planning in London. Blame the locals. Just look at the war that is going on with SHIFT. I saw the same crap in Ottawa a decade and a half ago. Locals who are convinced that their medium sized metro is some small town that they grew up in, and unwilling to invest in transit. Ottawa was able to push through. How London deals with it, is entirely up to London. They can choose to invest in transit and densify to keep housing affordable and convenient. Or they can keep building the crap Mississauga style subdivisions they are building at virtually every edge of the city today. Their choice.

Did you miss the bit where I said cities fix the budget first and adjust the mill rates annually? So no, if everybody's house went up $10k, their taxes wouldn't go up. If your house went up $10k RELATIVE to your neighbour, then you would face a higher tax bill.

It may be a fact of life, but it still upsets people. Several of my family members have spoken about that.

And? I have relatives in Toronto who complain about the price of housing there. Should we stop building all infrastructure and trash our immigration policy because some people are unhappy?

Ironically, if we had built this infrastructure decades ago, we would have see far more even development in these satellite cities. London, Kitchener, etc. would have been larger. The GTA would have been smaller. Being larger would have also allowed those cities to offer better amenities and public services. And made them more competitive attracting investment and jobs.

You talk about housing costs in London. Ever asked those young relatives of yours how the job market is? There's a reason my wife sees so many folks she recognizes from London on the subway in Toronto.

Last edited:
FWIW - I posed a question to the Metrolinx TPAP for the Scarborough Junction grade separation regarding VIA Rail's potential use of the Stouffville line as an alternative to a HFR routing down the Don Valley.

The TPAP report page 6.30 presents a response. It's not definitive, but it's an acknowledgement of the issue. One has to assume that the two agencies have discussed the issue.

- Paul

View attachment 291683

One thing to consider is Metrolinx will benefit from HFR as it will make it feasible for them to run commuter trains to Peterborough. They did study this about a decade ago, but at the time, the CPR Toronto Yard (in Agincourt) was much larger (and busier) than it is today so it came out to be too expensive at the time. By working together, they can both benefit.

One thing to consider is Metrolinx will benefit from HFR as it will make it feasible for them to run commuter trains to Peterborough. They did study this about a decade ago, but at the time, the CPR Toronto Yard (in Agincourt) was much larger (and busier) than it is today so it came out to be too expensive at the time. By working together, they can both benefit.

I'll be a whole lot happier if GO declines to offer commuter service, and VIA takes up the slack. As we've discussed before here, the HFR line runs through the Greenbelt - if commuter stations sprung up on the line in that area, the wrong things would happen. Perhaps GO trains have a place for the first 20 miles out of Toronto - and good VIA service to Peterboro is a no-brainer. Add GO trains to VIA's HFR line, and a lot more capacity will be needed, too... VIA's plans fit HFR, but GO would need additional sidings or double track in places.

I'm inferring that there must be a money discussion quietly happening between ML and VIA in preparation for HFR. It makes no sense for VIA to get a free ride from all the capital expansion ML is pursuing. If VIA is expanding frequency on ML's track, it ought to handle a share of the cost of that expansion...no different than from tenancy on a freight railway, albeit with more compatible operational needs.

Happily, there hasn't been an Ottawa- Queens Park showdown on the issue (yet), and I hope it's a mutually positive outcome. But I expect ML is eager for VIA to pay its fair share.

- Paul

I'll be a whole lot happier if GO declines to offer commuter service, and VIA takes up the slack. As we've discussed before here, the HFR line runs through the Greenbelt - if commuter stations sprung up on the line in that area, the wrong things would happen. Perhaps GO trains have a place for the first 20 miles out of Toronto - and good VIA service to Peterboro is a no-brainer. Add GO trains to VIA's HFR line, and a lot more capacity will be needed, too... VIA's plans fit HFR, but GO would need additional sidings or double track in places.

That ship sailed when GO started going to Kitchener, Barrie and Hamilton with regular service. Heck, there's now limited service to Niagara Falls. Eventually Peterborough residents are going to start asking why they have to pay VIA fares when GO services other remote suburbs and exurbs. And the line would be valuable to provide some kind of GO service to northeast Scarborough and eastern Markham, branched off Stouffville.

I'll be a whole lot happier if GO declines to offer commuter service, and VIA takes up the slack. As we've discussed before here, the HFR line runs through the Greenbelt - if commuter stations sprung up on the line in that area, the wrong things would happen. Perhaps GO trains have a place for the first 20 miles out of Toronto - and good VIA service to Peterboro is a no-brainer.

You do bring up a valid point and it may not be necessary for both VIA and GO to have trains all the way to Peterborough. Even so, given that Metrolinx's was "created to improve the coordination and integration of all modes of transportation in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area," it doesn't really matter who provides the service from Peterborough, it is still helping Metrolinx fulfill its mandate.

Add GO trains to VIA's HFR line, and a lot more capacity will be needed, too... VIA's plans fit HFR, but GO would need additional sidings or double track in places.

Additional sidings, if not double track, would be certainly be needed if they were to share the track, but that could be co-ordinated.

I'm inferring that there must be a money discussion quietly happening between ML and VIA in preparation for HFR. It makes no sense for VIA to get a free ride from all the capital expansion ML is pursuing. If VIA is expanding frequency on ML's track, it ought to handle a share of the cost of that expansion...no different than from tenancy on a freight railway, albeit with more compatible operational needs.

I am sure VIA pays to use ML's track the same way they pay to use CN's track. If their needs extend beyond the capability of the track, I am sure there is a process to help pay for that as well.

Happily, there hasn't been an Ottawa- Queens Park showdown on the issue (yet), and I hope it's a mutually positive outcome. But I expect ML is eager for VIA to pay its fair share.

Metrolinx's mandate doesn't extend to Ottawa, so I don't se them wanting to start GO service here (though I would like to see them take over the reginal commuter buses that extend beyond OC Transpo's territory).

London will never {thank God} become like Kitchener. Unlike KWC, London will never be a Toronto commuter town and GO rail to the city would be a supreme waste of money. It will never become part of the Toronto urban blob as it is simply too far. London, unlike KWC, is also a regional centre and arguably the province's 3rd most important city.

London's fast growth is not due to Toronto commuters but rather Toronto escapees. People who are fleeing Toronto's high prices, horrid traffic, and high pressure do not look to KW as it is simply to close and sort of negates the purpose. London is growing due to seniors cashing out, young people fleeing to a more affordable city, telecommuters who only have to make it into the city once or maximum twice a week, and those simply looking for a more relaxed and less rushed lifestyle. KW & Hamilton simply don't offer those amenities. Conversely London does not offer the affordable alternative for people who still work in Toronto full-time that those 2 cities offer.

Back