News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 947     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 359     0 

VIA Rail

I was referring to Ottawa- Montreal..... 180ish kms.... my point being, Toronto- Ottawa may have drawn too much of our attention when the Ottawa- Montreal leg is the most compelling and a very easy to achieve 'thin edge of the wedge'.
Apologies and me automatically reading Toronto-Ottawa, where you clearly wrote "Montreal-Ottawa", could indeed point in that direction... :)

PS: As I pointed out two months ago, the shortest travel time I found advertised in any VIA schedule was already 1:35 hours, so really not that far from your 90 minute target...

Last edited:
We may be giving the air sector too much credit by assuming that everyone is all on the same page.
We must be careful not to conflate the GTAA with the airline companies. Therein lies a huge difference. There's also the premium air-freight aspect. The "Pearson Study" was heavy (pun intended) with the freight factor, and the depth of the surrounding area fed from that freight hub. HFR+ to Pearson and Ottawa-Montreal by rail? CP and CN couldn't come close for premium rush delivery.

I post this as illustration into what's on the competitive horizon, and how avid some companies are to dominate that market:
CRRC high-speed ‘intercontinental’ train combines passengers and freight
September 23, 2016

China’s CRRC has presented a concept intercontinental high-speed electric multiple unit (EMU) which it hopes will “open up new markets” for the company.

The double-deck train will carry passengers on the upper level and freight below.

In promotional material presented at this year’s InnoTrans trade fair, CRRC said the EMU is “adapted to suit various climates and environments, as well different railway systems and standards”.

During the exhibition, China Railway group announced that the construction of eight new north-south corridors and eight east-west routes would almost double the size of the country’s high-speed rail network by 2025.

The intercontinental EMU could aid growth in rail traffic between China and Europe, with freight volumes in particular increasing in recent years.
https://www.globalrailnews.com/2016...nental-train-combines-passengers-and-freight/

[...]Due to tepid domestic demand for locomotives, CRRC’s revenue and profit dropped 42% and 17% respectively in the first quarter of 2017, marking the third consecutive quarterly profit decline.

The company has been looking to build rail projects for other countries to offset the slowdown at home, and has secured a string of contracts to supply subway cars to U.S. cities that included Boston, New York, and Chicago.

The rolling-stock manufacturer also plans to establish 11 regional branches around the world by 2020, with a target to raise the volume of its overseas orders to $15 billion by then, the company told Caixin last year. [...]
http://www.caixinglobal.com/2017-07-04/101110134.html

Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal, considering that CRRC have already bought into facilities in New Brunswick, and already bid on a contract with AMT that BBD walked away from should raise a few eyebrows...

Note the freight containers depicted...the same as used for aircraft, the inference being 'fast forwarded' in a time no other competitor could match, save for aircraft themselves.

upload_2017-9-4_22-8-9.png

And a reminder on how seriously some are taking the CRRC competition:

How China built a global rail behemoth that’s leaving Western train makers behind
Open this photo in gallery:

Nathan VanderKlippe and Nicolas Van Praet
BEIJING/MONTREAL
Includes correction
June 12, 2017 June 9, 2017
[...]
https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/re...35272833/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com&
China shows off double-decker “Intercontinental” for Beijing-to-Berlin line
26 September 2016 | By GCR Staff
China Railway Rolling Stock (CRRC) has announced that it is working on an “intercontinental” high-speed train with two decks: an upper for passengers and a lower for freight.
The company presented the model at the InnoTrans trade show in Berlin, which ended yesterday.

The idea is to make the train more like a passenger aircraft, with the cargo space used to transport luggage, high-value products and express parcels. According to CRRC, the train can deal with harsh environments and will be compatible with railway systems in different countries. The aim is to produce trains that can operate on continent-sized networks, such as the one envisaged for Central Asia, Iran and Europe.

Railway Gazette reports that five prototypes of the “Intercon” are already in operationin China. CRRC expects to start full-scale production before the end of this year, and a 250km/h variant is expected to enter service in 2017.

CRRC also demonstrated a “smart window” concept, in which passengers can access information using a touch-screen heads-up display.

Earlier this month, the completion of a line between Zhengzhou in central China with Xuzhou, north of Shanghai, brought the total length of the domestic high-speed network to 20,000km.

Huang Xin of the China Railway Corporation told Xinhua agency that the first 10,000km of the system took 11 years to build, after which it doubled in three years, and is expected to double again by 2025, before reaching 45,000km in 2030.

During the InnoTrans conference, China Railway group announced that this doubling would take the form of eight north-south corridorsand eight east-west routes.

x846crh3c_vip_compartment_20101003.jpg.pagespeed.ic.gEtxjqLJLI.jpg

Image: The double-decker is a variant of the CRH family of trains. This is the first-class cabin of a CRH3 (Creative Commons)

http://www.globalconstructionreview.com/news/china-shows-doub7le-deck7er-interconti7nental/

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-4_22-8-9.png
    upload_2017-9-4_22-8-9.png
    415.4 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:
My point was that your expectations in an editorial article of a mainstream and generalist newspaper bewilder me. Given the quality of the rest of the editorial and the fact that even you concede that there are actors in the aviation industry which might indeed regard HFR more as a threat than an opportunity, I find calling the author "incompetent" slightly exaggerated and an unnecessary distraction from all the other points he is making and may be worth discussing as well. Also (you may correct me if I'm wrong), I assume that your expertise in journalism is somewhat weaker than it is in engineering... ;)

Certainly. I'm not a journalist. And I've never claimed to be. But this article doesn't pass the common sense test. And that's my point. He never once mentioned the fact that the GTA has issues with traffic which might impact access to TPIA down the road. And it's pretty clear that he didn't look at the the vision documents for the hub which lay out their case specifically.

And while I have pointed out the players that stand to lose, I have also shown why that's less impactful to HFR. Do you think Air Canada and Westjet care if Porter has a chunk of its passengers move over to HFR? Those aren't passengers being diverted at TPIA anyway. And Porter's lobbying clout with this federal government, is, shall we say, limited.

I stand by my assertion. A competent author would have seen multiple angles to this story instead of laying out the ridiculous idea that GTAA and VIA Rail are both in competition for CIB funds. Another ridiculous assertion by the way. There's billions upon billions of capital around the world, looking for return that's just above prime. And we've now had several articles saying that one of the biggest complaints the domestic pension funds have is that there are not more large projects to invest in at home. The idea that there's a limited amount of money, forcing choices on federal policymakers, is patently ridiculous and would actually indicate that the whole concept of the CIB is flawed.

But, at the same time, airlines have a lot of capital tied up in smaller Dash 8's and Embraer's and Bombardiers that in the near term depends on revenue from T--O-M flights.

Check Flightaware. Most of the flights between Pearson and Ottawa and Montreal are large narrowbodies (737 and A320). Only Porter uses Q400s because of the restrictions at YTZ. And Air Canada uses Dash 8 and CRJs between Ottawa and Montreal because passenger numbers don't warrant anything bigger. And for AC, most of the Embraers and Dash 8s are on the verge of retirement anyway, along with the basic trend of upsizing to larger airframes at AC. If HFR comes to fruition, you won't see substantial cuts to the Toronto-Ottawa and Toronto-Montreal flight schedule. You'll still see hourly flights. They'll be on a CSeries jet instead of a 737. Westjet might cut a frequency or two, since they don't have smaller airplanes. But I dispute the fact that airlines will make drastic cuts to their Ottawa and Montreal schedules. Feeder services have to run every 1-1.5 hrs generally.

My conclusion was, if VIA can up the ante on Montreal- Ottawa flights to even say 90 minutes end to end, no sane person would ever buy an air ticket again.

Most people drive between Montreal and Ottawa. Even the international carriers operating out of Montreal, offer shuttle bus service out of the VIA station in Ottawa. The competition there, aren't really flights. The few Montreal-Ottawa flights that are there are there to basically feed Air Canada's Montreal hub. If Ottawa-Montreal gets down to about 60 mins, the real opportunity will be more commuters between the two cities. Intermediate towns will actually boom. This would accomplish more than MOOSE Rail ever could. This is why I argue that there needs to be more of a hybrid approach to the project. Ottawa-Montreal has more of a justification for investments boosting speed than say Montreal-Quebec City.

The current 95 min proposal is, in my opinion, just a tad too long for regular commutes, given time to access the station on either end. Should still divert a ton of driving though. And I would bet you'll get more regular commuters from the intermediate stops. There may be enough demand on the Ottawa-Montreal sector to run a separate hourly service to double up on the hourly through trains coming from Toronto.

Last edited:
My conclusion was, if VIA can up the ante on Montreal- Ottawa flights to even say 90 minutes end to end, no sane person would ever buy an air ticket again.
Do people even flying from Montreal-Ottawa, unless they are connecting to a different flight? It's only 170 km from Dorval to Ottawa ... 180 km the way the 417 goes so far south. You'd be faster to keeping driving past the Airport, and you'd be in downtown Ottawa perhaps before your plane has even taken off at Dorval.

Heck, last time I worked in Ottawa, there was a guy commuting in from near the tip of West Island - which sounds crazy, but they didn't see any traffic, except right at the end entering Ottawa. I've heard of far worse Toronto commutes.

But this article doesn't pass the common sense test.
May I ask you how much "common sense" you have to assess the points made in any other of his most recent articles (see list below)?
upload_2017-9-5_8-14-15.png

Source: https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/authors/konrad-yakabuski/

As I wrote in my initial comment, I agree with most you wrote and also find the parts where he discusses the air industry the weakest part of his otherwise excellent opinion piece. I also know that you would be a bad aeronautical engineer if you would find human errors or other neglects in any way tolerable for a professional doing the work he is trained and paid for. However, journalism and engineering (especially: aeronautical engineering) work diametrically different and just like having a journalist maintaining air planes for a day would lead to plane crashes, having an aeronautical engineer writing opinion pieces would make for very narrowly focused and boring articles. Konrad Yakabuski's profile on The Globe and Mail's website indicate that his main expertise lies in politics and business, not transportation, and highlights his nomination for a National Newspaper Award for writing columns like the one we are discussing at the moment:

The Globe And Mail said:
Columnist Konrad Yakabuski writes on politics, policy and business for The Globe and Mail’s Comment section and Report on Business. He was a 2014 National Newspaper Award finalist in the column writing category.

Konrad previously worked as The Globe's chief U.S. political writer, based in Washington, covering all aspects of the American political scene up to and including the 2012 presidential election campaign.

Prior to joining the Washington bureau in 2009, he was based in The Globe's Montreal bureau and wrote on Quebec business, politics and culture for more than a decade. Before that, he worked as a political reporter at Le Devoir. He began his journalism career at the Toronto Star.

Konrad holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in political science from McGill University and a Master of Science in Business Administration degree from the University of British Columbia.
In short: You have every right to disagree with the author, but your critique of his article does nothing to back your challenge of his competence as a journalist.

I stand by my assertion. A competent author would have seen multiple angles to this story instead of laying out the ridiculous idea that GTAA and VIA Rail are both in competition for CIB funds. Another ridiculous assertion by the way. There's billions upon billions of capital around the world, looking for return that's just above prime. And we've now had several articles saying that one of the biggest complaints the domestic pension funds have is that there are not more large projects to invest in at home. The idea that there's a limited amount of money, forcing choices on federal policymakers, is patently ridiculous and would actually indicate that the whole concept of the CIB is flawed.
Is it really that ridiculous? Public funds are by definition limited and anyone applying for them therefore is by definition in competition for those limited resources. If Steve is correct that the CIB is to leverage public funds by private funds in the ratio 1:4, then the maximum investment volume available through the CIB is still limited to five times whatever the federal government is willing to provide to the CIB. Yes, private pension funds are currently desperately searching for sufficiently sized infrastructure projects, but if I read his editorial correctly, his investment recommendation only referred to the federal government, not private investors...

Check Flightaware.
Not even necessary to check flights on a flight-by-flight basis, at least not for Air Canada:
upload_2017-9-5_8-13-2.png

The current 95 min proposal [...]
Where did this 95 minute figure come from? I know I provided such a figure, but it only referred to historic VIA schedules and an indication of what the current right-of-way is capable of, even in absence of any substantial infrastructure upgrades...

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-5_8-13-2.png
    upload_2017-9-5_8-13-2.png
    138.4 KB · Views: 316
  • upload_2017-9-5_8-14-15.png
    upload_2017-9-5_8-14-15.png
    61.4 KB · Views: 339
Last edited:
That Chinese doubledecker thing looks more suitable to an Amtrak Autotrain type operation (which operates non-stop between dedicated passenger terminals) in order to have handling facilities, or at the very least to only operate between dedicated platforms for non-stop services.

Would be interesting to see a schematic since even an LD3-45 (Airbus A320 sized) is 45 inches tall - accounting for external frame and internal floor, where does that place floor height and therefore roof height?

That Chinese doubledecker thing looks more suitable to an Amtrak Autotrain type operation (which operates non-stop between dedicated passenger terminals) in order to have handling facilities, or at the very least to only operate between dedicated platforms for non-stop services.

Would be interesting to see a schematic since even an LD3-45 (Airbus A320 sized) is 45 inches tall - accounting for external frame and internal floor, where does that place floor height and therefore roof height?
It's a good question, and I delved quickly on that last night when posting what I did, found no specs, and took a deeper look now, still no specs on pallet/pod dimensions, but a massive amount on the derivation of the design. It's originally Siemens:
CRH3C Prototypes
The first three trains were built in Germany by Siemens, and these imported trains were labelled CRH3A (CRH3-002A, CRH3-003A and CRH3-004A), different than the CRH3A-5218 developed independently and manufactured by CRRC Changchun Railway Vehicles in 2017, designed to operate at a cruise speed of 250 km/h (155 mph). These trains are based on the German Deutsche Bahn's ICE 3 high-speed trains and were given initial designations of CRH3A. Of these German trains, the first one was shipped from Bremerhaven on 19 December 2007.[7]

On 30 November 2012, the CNR announced new design of CRH3A, with three styles that can operate at top speed of 160 km/h, 200 km/h and 250 km/h. The first train was rolled out on June 3, 2013.[8]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_Railways_CRH3

The 'freight on bottom' derivation is from that, and I'll try and dig out what I can. The basic design is highly proven and in use in a number of countries, both the Siemens built and Chinese built ones.

Dwell time at intermediary stops would be increased by loading and unloading pallets, but ostensibly done in a matter of minutes. Not unlike bus parcel express, but on a larger scale. Cities like Peterborough would be prime candidates for such service.

In short: You have every right to disagree with the author, but your critique of his article does nothing to back your challenge of his competence as a journalist.

It's pretty obvious he didn't talk to enough "sources" if any. I was always under the impression that this is what journalists do. Who the heck did he talk to that left him with the impression the Pearson hub is an attempt to kill HFR? The logic leaps in that one.... Moving on....

Is it really that ridiculous? Public funds are by definition limited and anyone applying for them therefore is by definition in competition for those limited resources. If Steve is correct that the CIB is to leverage public funds by private funds in the ratio 1:4, then the maximum investment volume available through the CIB is still limited to five times whatever the federal government is willing to provide to the CIB.

Public funds are limited. But the government is budgeting $35 billion for the CIB. That's supposed to leverage $70-100 billion from the private sector. As per that ratio (just some rough numbers, let's say ratios vary), the government's share of VIA HFR would be about $1.3 billion (out of $5.5 billion) and about $1.25 billion out of $5 billion (if I recall correctly) for the hub. Clearly, there's plenty of room in the government's plans to fund both. And all that's assuming that Pearson even needs government funding. They've suggested, they could fund the entire hub by taking on more debt. I would suggest that what Pearson really cares about is the inter-city rail lines and transit lines that will connect to the hub, getting funded. There's no hub without the LRTs, GO RER and BRT connections the hub is supposed to have. And that's before we talk about what HFR and HSR services should be connecting to the hub.

Where did this 95 minute figure come from?

My mistake. I should have said the current 95 min service. I think it's usually closer to 2 hrs. And I believe the HFR proposal is 80 mins if I'm not mistaken. In any event, getting the Ottawa-Montreal time down to 1 hr will be a gamechanger, IMO. I think that's about the point where inter-city commuting really takes off. Alexandria will be booming as an ex-urb.

Last edited:
It's pretty obvious he didn't talk to enough "sources" if any. I was always under the impression that this is what journalists do. Who the heck did he talk to that left him with the impression the Pearson hub is an attempt to kill HFR? The logic leaps in that one....
I'll try it one last time: the reason why I'm so annoyed at you here (just like I was at nfitz last week) is that calling professionals "incompetent" undermines any open debate as it completely discredits every single argument these professionals are making. We are all spending our free time here to debate topics on which we place a much higher importance than other people do and I perceive attempts to flat-out discredit entire authors rather than bothering to ask yourself whether you even have all information needed to correctly understand and to objectively judge their arguments and opinions as a rather cheap way of promoting the arguments and opinions of your own. Finally, your repeated failure in acknowledging the difference between an opinion piece and an actual news article does not exactly support your presumption of the necessary authority to assess the journalistic competence of one of the lead journalists of this countries' largest newspaper...

Public funds are limited. But the government is budgeting $35 billion for the CIB. That's supposed to leverage $70-100 billion from the private sector. As per that ratio (just some rough numbers, let's say ratios vary), the government's share of VIA HFR would be about $1.3 billion (out of $5.5 billion) and about $1.25 billion out of $5 billion (if I recall correctly) for the hub. Clearly, there's plenty of room in the government's plans to fund both. [...]
According to the Infrastructure Canada website, the new infrastructure bank is indeed to be equipped with $35 billion by the federal government, but of these, only $5 billions seem to have been earmarked exclusively for Public Transit infrastructure so far. Also, governments (of any colour) tend to aggregate continuous investments over a longer period into one lump sum (which is like aggregating the combined salary of a multi-year contract into one total amount in a job offer, just to make it sound larger), as exemplified in a different article on the Infrastructure Canada website (emphasis added):
Through the Public Transit Infrastructure Fund, Budget 2016 focused on making immediate investments of $3.4 billion over three years, to upgrade and improve public transit systems across Canada.

To support the next phase of ambitious public transit projects, through Budget 2017 the Government will invest $20.1 billion over 11 years through bilateral agreements with provinces and territories. In addition, the new Canada Infrastructure Bank will play a role in defining and building public transit infrastructure in Canada. The Bank will invest at least $5 billion in public transit systems.
The irony is that I don't even believe myself that the author is right in this part of his assessment, but this is exactly what your discrediting of his competency forces anyone wanting to use any part of the author's analysis to support his own point to do: you oblige them to first prove that even though some of the points made by the author might be flawed or even false, making them was not absurd or ridiculous (and that his analysis therefore might still be valid in other points) before they can use any other parts of his analysis to support their actual argument, as denying the credibility of a source inevitably compromises the credibility of the person who ares to use that source...

My mistake. I should have said the current 95 min service. I think it's usually closer to 2 hrs. And I believe the HFR proposal is 80 mins if I'm not mistaken. In any event, getting the Ottawa-Montreal time down to 1 hr will be a gamechanger, IMO. I think that's about the point where inter-city commuting really takes off. Alexandria will be booming as an ex-urb.
The minimum scheduled travel time is currently 113 minutes (or 1:53h: Train 34, dep. OTTW 11:35, arr. MTRL 13:28 - I took it just yesterday on Labour Day...) and the average is 2:01h (plus a delay of more than 10 minutes for 15.1% of all trains on this route). I disagree that cutting travel times by half is necessary (or the only way) to make inter-city commuting by rail popular on this route, but I appreciate your viewpoints and arguments and will continue to allow them to challenge mine...

Last edited:
Here's the latest on the Churchill line:
Feds demand Omnitrax fix Churchill rail line
If tracks aren't fixed, government will seek repayment of $18.8M
CBC News Posted: Sep 01, 2017 6:06 PM CT Last Updated: Sep 02, 2017 6:30 PM CT

The federal government says it has "formally demanded" that Omnitrax fix the washed-out rail line to the northern Manitoba town of Churchill.

In a release Friday afternoon, Natural Resources Minister Jim Carr said that the government is looking at all its options to ensure the contract is "respected and fulfilled," including seeking the repayment of $18.8 million it contributed to the Hudson Bay Railway line in 2008.

"Omnitrax Inc. has legal obligations to repair the rail line and its tracks," the release stated, noting the agreement requires the Denver-based company to "operate, maintain and repair the entire Hudson Bay Railway Line in a diligent and timely manner until March 31, 2029." [...]
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/omnitrax-demanded-fix-rail-line-1.4273012

As time passes, my belief that the Infrastructure Bank will play the necessary funding vehicle for HFR diminishes. The project doesn't need to 'go begging', quite the contrary. Rather than labour that point right now, some reflection on the Infrastructure Bank is in order. The Globe's Bill Curry has written some excellent articles on this prior, and I must admit some of the cynical aspects he detailed eluded me at the time.

A legal view:
Banking on Infrastructure
There’s concern about the newly announced Canada Infrastructure Bank. But if it’s done right, the CIB could provide a much-needed boost to spending.
Aug 25, 2017by Elizabeth Raymer 2017 Lexpert Special Edition - Infrastructure
(Actual print edition of this is available on-line at this link, http://lexpert.ca/article/lexpert-p...nd-mails-report-on-business/?p=1&sitecode=lex )

CANADA IS CONSIDERED best in class in the P3 market, and the Canadian Council for Public-Private Partnerships’ (CCPPP) annual conference is world-renowned, Minister of Infrastructure and Communities Amarjeet Sohi told attendees of a CCPPP luncheon in Toronto in April. “P3s will continue to play a critical role as we develop Infrastructure across the country,” Sohi said. “We have seen the value the private sector has brought to the table” in terms of quality and delivery.

The federal government plans to leverage those P3s in its ambitious plans for Infrastructure investing. In the government’s Budget 2017 document, it announced an investment of $180 billion in Infrastructure over the next 12 years. This will nearly triple the federal investment over the next decade, the minister said.

The Investing in Canada Infrastructure plan will focus on five main Infrastructure areas: Public Transit; Green Infrastructure (including water and sewer systems, and reducing greenhouse gas emissions); Social Infrastructure (including affordable housing, cultural and recreational facilities); Trade and Transport; and Rural and Northern Communities. Details of Investing in Canada will be worked out by the first quarter of next year and will “give the provinces and territories the certainty and resources they need to plan their long-term investments,” said Sohi.

Included in the Investing in Canada plan is the proposed Canada Infrastructure Bank, which was announced in April and will, if it is eventually approved by Parliament, invest $35 billion into “transformative Infrastructure projects” through public-private partnerships. Fifteen billion dollars would come from Investing in Canada, to be divided equally between public transit systems, trade and transportation corridors, and green Infrastructure projects.

The Bank’s stated objectives are to invest in Infrastructure projects that have revenue-generating potential and are in the public interest; to attract private-sector and institutional investors to projects so that more Infrastructure can be built in Canada; to serve as a centre of expertise on Infrastructure projects in which private-sector or institutional investors are making a significant investment; to foster evidence-based decision-making and advise all orders of government on the design of revenue-generating projects; and to collect and share data to help governments make better decisions about Infrastructure investments.

The term “bank” may be a bit of a misnomer, suggests Timothy Murphy, whose practice with McMillan LLP in Toronto focuses on transactions with a public component. “Really what this is, is … an enabler of large [government-funded] Infrastructure projects to proceed in partnership with large pension funds,” and to encourage them to invest in Canada, Murphy says.

Some critics see the proposed Infrastructure Bank as redundant, given the existence of the Crown corporation PPP Canada and its P3 Canada Fund — a merit-based program that encourages P3 innovation and “inexperienced governments” to consider P3s in public Infrastructure procurements.

To date, the government hasn’t shared with the Infrastructure community how the proposed Canada Infrastructure Bank will work, says Douglas Younger, chair of Aird & Berlis LLP’s national Infrastructure team in Toronto: “I think the government so far has been pretty sketchy in how the Infrastructure Bank will be structured, and how it will provide financing. … There’s lots of speculation in the market, and amongst people in the industry, and quite a bit of skepticism. The mantra you’ll hear is that there is more than enough funding, but not enough opportunities. It’s a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist.”

Will the new Canada Infrastructure Bank replace PPP Canada? What will its mandate be? “It’s been speculated in the press that it will focus on revenue-generating projects,” Younger says. “It’s also been speculated that this may be a way of inducing the major funds to invest in green projects.”

Younger questions whether there are enough profitable Infrastructure projects out there to invest in, noting that public transit systems are very expensive to build and dependent on government funding; as an example, he points to Toronto’s Eglinton Crosstown light rail transit (LRT) system, now in development, which carries a price tag in excess of $6 billion.

But Murphy believes that the Bank may play a useful role in public transit projects, citing the “classic example” of Toronto’s Union Pearson Express airport rail link, completed in time for the Pan American and Parapan American Games held in the city in 2015.

The project was intended to have been a public-private partnership between the province of Ontario and the Union Pearson Airlink Group, which is a subsidiary of SNC-Lavalin.

“It was meant to be a revenue-risk project,” he says. SNC-Lavalin was to build and operate the rail link as a commercial operation, paying the capital costs and recouping them from the fare box. But after two years of failed negotiations — including, says Murphy, the Ontario government’s refusal to cover the risk of the project — SNC-Lavalin’s Union Pearson AirLink Group walked away, and Crown agency Metrolinx took over the ownership and operation of UP Express.

“If the Bank had been around it could have provided support to the project, and even if the project was not economically successful, the province would have been better off in two ways,” says Murphy. “First, it would have had the expertise of a private-sector entity looking to operate it efficiently and well so as to encourage riders, and second, even in the circumstance where the project did not succeed, the project would still have benefited from the contribution of the SNC equity.”

The Bank will not take over the business of granting Infrastructure money, says Jane Bird, who works in complex public and private construction and Infrastructure initiatives with Bennett Jones LLP in Vancouver.

“The vast majority of [granting] will come through the traditional source: Infrastructure Canada.” A small portion of that funding will be available through the bank, which can play a significant role, she says, through direct investment of money allocated and facilitating private-sector investment, and by acting as a source of expertise on structuring larger, more complicated commercial structures.

The case for the Infrastructure Bank goes beyond a simple cost-of-borrowing analysis, says Catherine Doyle of Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP in Toronto, whose practice focuses largely on Infrastructure and public-private partnerships. Governments can borrow at a lower rate, but they can also operate at a loss “forever,” unlike the private sector. So, the case for the Bank is “based on how to use federal capital appropriately,” and how to use the private sector effectively “for the long-term benefit of the country.”

The five focus areas of Investing in Canada support that the majority of Infrastructure in Canada is not federally owned or controlled, Doyle says. “The vast majority is either provincially or municipally controlled or owned.” So, focusing on public transit, green space, social Infrastructure and other municipal/provincial projects makes sense. Doyle “would have preferred to see First Nations explicitly called out” in the list of five priorities; “they are the communities that least have the tools to build that Infrastructure,” she says, while noting that they may be included under the rubric of rural and northern communities.

The Bank will concentrate in areas where projects are not as financeable, she says. “There’s lots of money now for LRT, roads, those types of things,” and yet water treatment systems are in dire need of financing, and impose a significant cost on municipalities. “There the Bank can play a role.”
[...]
http://lexpert.ca/article/banking-on-infrastructure/?p=1&sitecode=lex

he reason why I'm so annoyed at you here

I'm not going to take back what I said. For an opinion piece, it's a whack opinion. The purpose of Pearson's Transit Hub is pretty clearly highlighted by this chart by the way:

25073-87301.png (ripped for the UT article from the GTAA's report).

And this UT article offers tons of better analysis on the purpose of the hub:

http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2017/02/transit-hub-signals-bold-reinvention-torontos-pearson-airport

So, again, either that author has some top notch sources who are deceiving the public and their stakeholders (which if true is far more interesting), or he's come up with an opinion that has not one shred of evidence to back it up. Which leads me to conclude that it's a less than fully informed opinion.

I expect better from a respected national newspaper. Had that been published in the Sun, well then I'd be with you. The entire piece seems to be an attempt to just stir up something.

But we can disagree.

According to the Infrastructure Canada website, the new infrastructure bank is indeed to be equipped with $35 billion by the federal government, but of these, only $5 billions seem to have been earmarked exclusively for Public Transit infrastructure so far

First, what's earmarked can change. And I strongly expect it will. What the government earmarks is only relevant as along as the private sector is just as willing to pony up. If the private sector is more willing to fund power generation that water treatment, for example, than there will be more power generation than water treatment funded by the CIB. I do think they have targets and notional ideas on how they want to allocate funds. But I think a lot of this will be driven by how willing the large pension funds are, to play ball.

Next, how projects are defined can change. Nothing says that HFR or the transit hub has to be defined as "public transit". HFR in particular could be labelled strategic infrastructure, for example.

On the actual topic though, I still think Pearson will fund the transit hub itself, through debt. It's much easier than dealing with the CIB. They can even negotiate directly with Caisse or Blackrock. Toss in the possible privatization as the government mused about before and you could have a private sector owner/operator that would both buy the airport and build the hub themselves. Pearson is exactly the type of asset that the large pension funds want to put in their portfolio. I don't see why the CIB and it's limited kitty is an absolute necessity at all.

VIA and HFR on the other hand will most assuredly need the CIB. Way too much risk for the large funds. They seem to prefer to buy assets after construction than build them. Especially for large projects, like HFR. They do BOT. But often want good risk premiums if they are doing the construction.

I disagree that cutting travel times by half is necessary

It's not so much cutting in half as getting total travel times to around 1.5 hrs, which I think the generally the limit for daily commute for most people. And that means the intercity portion has to be about 60-70 mins, to account for another 20-30 mins in time taken to get to and from the station on either end. That's my opinion though. But intuitively, I don't think we'll see regular commuters favouring 2 hr commutes between home in Ottawa and work in Montreal.

With the proposed 80 mins service, we'll definitely see some ex-urban commuter patterns, especially switching over from driving if the fares are low enough. Same type of folks who live in Niagara or London and commute to Toronto 2-3x per week.

Last edited:
Digging to find more technical detail on the CRRC passenger upper deck/freight lower, and tripped across this: (This applies as much to MOOSE as it does HFR and Brightline)
A ground-breaking ceremony was held on August 28 by the Purple Line Transit Partners joint venture to mark the start of construction of the 25.7km Purple Line light rail project in Maryland, United States.

The joint venture comprises Fluor, Meridiam Infrastructure Purple Line, and Star America Purple Line. “Fluor is honoured to break ground today on the second transit public-private partnership project in the US,” said Mr Hans Dekker, president of Fluor’s infrastructure business line. “We bring robust megaproject experience and industry-leading abilities to successfully design, build, finance and manage complex projects. Fluor and our partners are currently operating the Denver Eagle PPP commuter rail project, the only other transit PPP in the country and we look forward to building on its success to deliver the Purple Line.”
The ground-breaking was capped off with the signing of a Federal Transit Administration (FTA) full funding grant of $US 900m for the $US 5.6bn 36-year PPP project. The Purple Line is being built for Maryland Department of Transportation (MDOT) and Maryland Transit Administration (MTA).
[...]
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php/light-rail/work-starts-on-maryland-purple-line-ppp-project.html

Anyone claiming that public transit must always be government owned and run is not availed by the facts.

Back