News   Sep 06, 2024
 750     2 
News   Sep 06, 2024
 1.1K     7 
News   Sep 06, 2024
 514     0 

VIA Rail

But I think the point he making was that the crew was no less in the dark than the passengers. A "mode of communication" doesn't necessarily mean information was forthcoming from the other end of the microphone.

Then there should be a point in which they said that to the passengers. Some may think that is unprofessional. It is not. Once it becomes apparent that your employer is leaving you hanging to deal with a situation they should be dealing with and it now is causing even you to have problems, it is time to be frank on both ends.

Reminds me of my clam to fame of being on the HMCS Protecteur for its fire in 2014. The captain told shore support he will allow everyone to make a phone call home to tell them they are safe. That was against shore Command's orders.

They were cleared for P+ speed about a week and a half ago. At the same time, they were cleared for Passenger speeds on the Dundas Sub as well.

They are still not cleared for LRC speeds, however.

Dan
What was the fastest speeds they could legally reach?

On a better note, I experienced my first 160kph on the Corridor and my train today was actually ten minutes early for the first time in a long time.
You post reminded me of my one and only time flying Flair Airlines. We flew from Pearson to Newark, NJ to see some stage shows in Manhattan. Both flights took off and landed on time, without any lost luggage or any issues whatsoever. But once I read the reviews and official on-time stats I realized my experience was an aberration and decided to never take my chances again with Flair. To that end, I don't think you'll ever arrive early on a VIA trail again.

You got the code when you disembarked at your planned station. If you disembarked earlier than that, they didn’t give the code. So if you were supposed to go to union but could arrange for someone to pick you up in Cobourg, no code for you. I have no idea on the reasoning ,,, why not let a disgruntled passenger get off the train? The trip was disrupted so why not give them a future credit? But they didn’t.
Sorry to beat the dead horse. How did they deliver the code?

Most of the time I book to Central Station or Union Station, but sometimes I get off at Dorval or Guildwood, to grab a GO or EXO train. I just don't know until I see how well things line up.

You post reminded me of my one and only time flying Flair Airlines. We flew from Pearson to Newark, NJ to see some stage shows in Manhattan. Both flights took off and landed on time, without any lost luggage or any issues whatsoever. But once I read the reviews and official on-time stats I realized my experience was an aberration and decided to never take my chances again with Flair.
I don't think I've had many Air Canada flights in years that aren't hours late.

My only Flair experience was fine in both directions to YVR. Though I'd never experience the T3 satellite before, and gosh that's a long journey from the pub in the main part of T3. :)

I think had I been stuck on that train for 10 hours as long as I had a solo seat, without any screaming babies or Karens nearby, a charge for my iPad and noise canceling headphones, and access to the toilets I could have lasted just fine. I always travel with snacks and water so I'd be okay to semi-fast for the time. And just imagine the reading one can get done. For most of us, if we're not sitting a train we're sitting at our desks or on the couch working, watching our screens or reading a book. Might as well do it on a reclining VIA chair. Looking at the reactions here an online you'd think this was a crowded cattle car.

Last edited:
I think had I been stuck on that train for 10 hours as long as I had a solo seat, without any screaming babies or Karens nearby, a charge for my iPad and noise canceling headphones, and access to the toilets I could have lasted just fine. I always travel with snacks and water so I'd be okay to semi-fast for the time. And just imagine the reading one can get done. For most of us, if we're not sitting a train we're sitting at our desks or on the couch working, watching our screens or reading a book. Might as well do it on a recycling VIA chair. Looking at the reactions here an online you'd think this was a crowded cattle car.

But you aren't wrangling hungry small children and infants who have used up all their diaper supply, you don't have a medical condition making it difficult to go without food for so long etc. etc. You are best case scenario.

But you aren't wrangling hungry small children and infants who have used up all their diaper supply, you don't have a medical condition making it difficult to go without food for so long etc. etc. You are best case scenario.
Having raised twins and with the emotional scars to prove it, twenty plus years later I now always strive to be the best case scenario.

Reminds me of my clam to fame of being on the HMCS Protecteur for its fire in 2014. The captain told shore support he will allow everyone to make a phone call home to tell them they are safe. That was against shore Command's orders.
And the Captain did the right thing. Someone at MARPAC or NDHQ no doubt had an eye on public perception and or wanting the PMO to be read into any public release. Not the job of the ship's Captain and they owned it. They might have paid for it later but ya gotta look at yourself in the mirror in the morning.

Then there should be a point in which they said that to the passengers. Some may think that is unprofessional. It is not. Once it becomes apparent that your employer is leaving you hanging to deal with a situation they should be dealing with and it now is causing even you to have problems, it is time to be frank on both ends.
And maybe they did that - I don't know what was communicated at the train level. No doubt some passengers would still be angry with that anyway.

There's a line between being frank and throwing your employer under the bus.

And the Captain did the right thing. Someone at MARPAC or NDHQ no doubt had an eye on public perception and or wanting the PMO to be read into any public release. Not the job of the ship's Captain and they owned it. They might have paid for it later but ya gotta look at yourself in the mirror in the morning.

That was the day he earned the respect from the rest of the crew. AFAIK, he did not get reprimanded.

And maybe they did that - I don't know what was communicated at the train level. No doubt some passengers would still be angry with that anyway.

There's a line between being frank and throwing your employer under the bus.
That line is very fine. The problem is, some posters here want to see that as a very wide line.

You post reminded me of my one and only time flying Flair Airlines. We flew from Pearson to Newark, NJ to see some stage shows in Manhattan. Both flights took off and landed on time, without any lost luggage or any issues whatsoever. But once I read the reviews and official on-time stats I realized my experience was an aberration and decided to never take my chances again with Flair. To that end, I don't think you'll ever arrive early on a VIA trail again.
I've been on plenty that have been on-time which I consider just as good. Early isn't really reasonable to expect given timetables and stops. Given that I take VIA very frequently and am experienced with the service and its hurdles I figure anything within twenty minutes of the arrival time to be good.

I've been on plenty that have been on-time which I consider just as good. Early isn't really reasonable to expect given timetables and stops. Given that I take VIA very frequently and am experienced with the service and its hurdles I figure anything within twenty minutes of the arrival time to be good.
How bad do you find winter delays to be? Consider taking it out west but the schedule doesn't leave much of a buffer for getting home on time

That line is very fine. The problem is, some posters here want to see that as a very wide line.
I am not really surprised by this, particularly when we live in an era where certain business and political personalities want to make that as wide as possible. And to put that mildly. /sigh

Not sure where to put this but took pic of the Via Rail Yard looking downtown. It was such a beautiful day today.
IMG_3669.JPG

Back