386     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 419     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 357     2 

VIA Rail

This sure raised my eyebrows

- Paul

If you want more slots at the airport for more [profitable routes, having a code share with a railway that can all but replace the air routes would be a good business venture.

It certainly adds another reason why that consortium should not be allowed to design the future of passenger rail in this country. The CDPQi has already done their best to ensure it is as miserable as possible, at least East of Montreal…

Funny that you and I would be polar opposite on this. Air Canada seems to make air travel work well for most Canadians. Imagine if they had the same mantra for passenger rail. They may not be that great, but where they go to and their connections are far superior than what we see with Via rail.

considering they are their direct competitors i find this a very fishy tale.... hopefully they DONT win the deal either way since theyre a bad company to work with anyways.
I suppose if the government had wanted to exclude other transportation providers or a company that could potentially stand to loose or gain market share, they would have written it into the proposal. Otherwise, they are a publicly traded for-profit corporation and free to offer to invest as they, and their shareholders, see fit.

Just to be sure: I have no issue with airlines partnering up with railways for code-share purposes, but they should not have any commercial or competitive control over said railroad, as the railroads‘ interests (to have as many airlines as possible sign up while still confronting any overlapping air operations) and those of the partner airline (to gain a competitive advantage over competing airlines and to protect its profitable routes) certainly don’t align…

Last edited:
I suppose if the government had wanted to exclude other transportation providers or a company that could potentially stand to loose or gain market share, they would have written it into the proposal. Otherwise, they are a publicly traded for-profit corporation and free to offer to invest as they, and their shareholders, see fit.

To join the consortium, one has to assume they accept a fiduciary duty to that project..... in plain language, they have a duty to advance the project and work from a position of protecting the project's interests. Their existing fiduciary duty however is to build their air business and protect their shareholders' investments in airplanes and competition in the air market. I am having trouble reconciling those two fiduciary duties.

If Air Canada is saying to its shareholders, hey we can make more money by investing in VIA than by buying
more airplanes.....well, that would be a wonderful statement. But I'm a bit suspicious about that just yet.

- Paul

To join the consortium, one has to assume they accept a fiduciary duty to that project..... in plain language, they have a duty to advance the project and work from a position of protecting the project's interests. Their existing fiduciary duty however is to build their air business and protect their shareholders' investments in airplanes and competition in the air market. I am having trouble reconciling those two fiduciary duties.

If Air Canada is saying to its shareholders, hey we can make more money by investing in VIA than by buying
more airplanes.....well, that would be a wonderful statement. But I'm a bit suspicious about that just yet.

- Paul
If Cadence wins the consortium, I can see lots of litigation from the other two consortiums and also from other airlines. I‘m really not sure what the benefit of adding AC to that consortium is…

If Cadence wins the consortium, I can see lots of litigation from the other two consortiums and also from other airlines. I‘m really not sure what the benefit of adding AC to that consortium is…
There was a time when if I had been made head of/god-emperor of VIA, I would have canned almost all their customer experience and marketing folks and replaced them with Porter’s, back in the airline’s early days when improving the customer experience was their USP.

I don’t see the same attraction now (and didn’t then) to do similar with the equivalent teams from Air “we’re not happy until you’re not happy” Canada.

There was a time when if I had been made head of/god-emperor of VIA, I would have canned almost all their customer experience and marketing folks and replaced them with Porter’s, back in the airline’s early days when improving the customer experience was their USP.

I don’t see the same attraction now (and didn’t then) to do similar with the equivalent teams from Air “we’re not happy until you’re not happy” Canada.
You‘d be surprised how many of my former colleagues in commercial functions (scheduling — pricing — customer relations) came straight from Air Canada. One of them is even CCO today (excellent guy, one of the leading heads behind VIA‘s unprecedented growth since 2014):

Last edited:
You‘d be surprised how many of my former colleagues in commercial functions (scheduling — pricing — customer relations) came straight from Air Canada. One of them is even CCO today (excellent guy, one of the leading heads behind VIA‘s unprecedented growth since 2014):
What unprecedented growth do you speak of? Ridership hasn’t grown much and service is worse now than ever before in terms of speed and frequency. Sure we have some new trains but the tracks are worse for wear and CN and ML are slowing VIA down. Via has gone backwards not forwards over the last 10yrs. New trains wont fix terrible reliability and slower service with less frequency.

Until HSR/HFR is under construction, I see no hope that these proposals are anything more than a federal Liberals pipe dream.

What unprecedented growth do you speak of? Ridership hasn’t grown much and service is worse now than ever before in terms of speed and frequency. Sure we have some new trains but the tracks are worse for wear and CN and ML are slowing VIA down. Via has gone backwards not forwards over the last 10yrs. New trains wont fix terrible reliability and slower service with less frequency.

Until HSR/HFR is under construction, I see no hope that these proposals are anything more than a federal Liberals pipe dream.
Ridership went from 3.8 million in 2014 to 5 million in 2019. That's a 32% increase in 5 years. Via Rail was on a significant growth trajectory before the pandemic got in the way.

Feel free to dwelve through the records of VIA to find a more impressive growth period:
IMG_1168.png

Source: re-post

And on most of the above metrics, VIA is on course to beat pre-Covid levels within a year or 2…

Back