News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 349     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 910     1 

VIA Rail

Has PP ever given his opinion on HSR/HFR? Should we be worried?

We should. But we would also be mad at the Trudeau Liberals for pulling a Wynne and basically doing nothing significant for half a decade and then contracting a bit of pre-bid work for 3 years.

Building HxR is like building up the military. Can't have progress without some level of bipartisan consensus on the need to do so. Or it becomes a political football to kick around. Not a plane they need to land.

To be fair, some newer HSR in places like Saudi Arabia and Indonesia run at 300 kph. And a lot of Asia is designed for 300+ kph. But that's still hardly the norm for the average intercity rail passenger in those countries. And they've also achieved this by sacrificing last mile access in many places. Building HSR with termini in Richmond Hill, Barrhaven and Dorion would be a lot cheaper and allow for faster speeds. Not as useful though.

Has PP ever given his opinion on HSR/HFR? Should we be worried?
Its a big risk. The CEO should be doing the legwork to get the support of the conservative premiers of Ontario and Quebec to support this project in order to insulate it from the political winds in Ottawa.
It's unfortunate that it's necessary but that's how things work in Canada.

Both provinces support the plan. It's more a question of getting vocal public support.
Will be tough to get vocal public support when the entire process seems very slow.

The CEO is saying it'll be 3-4 years before they can even confirm how fast the trains will go. The scope of the project will be largely shaped by the speed of the trip so will be hard to get the public at large behind this until then.

If there's a contract in place, the best case scenario is the next government allows the design phase to proceed. But we have seen governments happily pay several hundred million in cancellation costs just to fill a campaign pledge. So far no idea if the CPC is for or against. O'Toole actually supported HFR in his platform. No idea if Poilievre will do the same. We'll see. More pressure from the premiers would help.

I‘m sure the same was said at some point about steam engines hauling the „Ocean Ltd.“, „California Zephyr“ and other iconic trains in North America…
Well then offer discounted tickets for passengers willing to shovel coal into the steam engine! What an authentic rustic train experience.

If there's a contract in place, the best case scenario is the next government allows the design phase to proceed. But we have seen governments happily pay several hundred million in cancellation costs just to fill a campaign pledge. So far no idea if the CPC is for or against. O'Toole actually supported HFR in his platform. No idea if Poilievre will do the same. We'll see. More pressure from the premiers would help.
We really have to make the money case. HSR will increase economic activity immensely, give Canadians affordable.alternative transportation options, reduce congestion on the highways for goods movements and those that need to drive. Whether you're conservative or not, advocates need to adapt their advocacy to the government in charge, and also work on wording their advocacy to the general public.

A key element of my advocacy is that I change how I approach a topic when I speak go different audiences. When speaking to our conservative MPPs I specifically discuss reduced taxpayer costs, increased business activity, and less car congestion and more freedom to choose options. This is something I find progressive advocates really struggle with.

We really have to make the money case. HSR will increase economic activity immensely, give Canadians affordable.alternative transportation options, reduce congestion on the highways for goods movements and those that need to drive. Whether you're conservative or not, advocates need to adapt their advocacy to the government in charge, and also work on wording their advocacy to the general public.

A key element of my advocacy is that I change how I approach a topic when I speak go different audiences. When speaking to our conservative MPPs I specifically discuss reduced taxpayer costs, increased business activity, and less car congestion and more freedom to choose options. This is something I find progressive advocates really struggle with.
One of the cases could be that the area reserved in Pickering for a new airport could be used for housing and the flights along the Corridor could be reduced and replaced with a train doing the same trip in about the same time.

While I do agree that it should remain agricultural, As that area grows, it is in a prime location, so ignoring that it will ever be developed would be foolhardy. It also does not look like it is included in the Greenbelt.

Why would it be? The airport hold on the land long preceded it, and McGuinty likely wouldn’t have wanted to agitate the feds. In a way, an airport designated but not built was better protection than the Greenbelt turned out to be.

Why would it be? The airport hold on the land long preceded it, and McGuinty likely wouldn’t have wanted to agitate the feds. In a way, an airport designated but not built was better protection than the Greenbelt turned out to be.
Sorry,I guess it is more about showing how HSR in the province and along the W-QC corridor would have many benefits.One of them would be no longer needing a new airport in the GTA.I'd imagine most, if not all of the inner corridor air travel could be reduced or cut completely if we had real HSR that would actually compete with flying, not just driving.

Back