News   Jul 10, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 625     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 952     0 

VIA Rail

If we could get the average speed of the Canadian to 200 km/h we could get the travel time under 24h. 🥹 🥹
The strategic value of public investment in rail is economic; i.e. freight, not moving a couple a hundred tourist several thousand kilometers as fast a possible. On-time performance should be better but people take long distance rail travel for reasons other than blinding speed.

The strategic value of public investment in rail is economic; i.e. freight, not moving a couple a hundred tourist several thousand kilometers as fast a possible. On-time performance should be better but people take long distance rail travel for reasons other than blinding speed.

It was mostly a joke, but I believe we can make improvements.

1688567551217.png

I am speculating that this tweet may have something to do with this incident.

It was discussed in this thread, back around message #14661

- Paul
I’m still not sure why that angry person believes that an isolated 84 minute delay on a 4 hour VIA journey should be something the transport minister is to be held personally responsible for:
Just before 4 p.m., train 42 resumed service. In total, it was delayed by approximately one hour and 24 minutes, according to VIA Rail.

I’m still not sure why that angry person believes that an isolated 84 minute delay on a 4 hour VIA journey should be something the transport minister is to be held personally responsible for:

Or why they would not just direct their concern to the Securitas confidential reporting process.

While I am as cynical as the next person about government processes, I do have confidence that a complaint would not be casually suppressed without investigation.

- Paul

That would certainly make Vancouver - Calgary passenger rail viable as well. The swiss do their tunnels for freight but the passenger services are improved greatly. HSR from Edmonton to Calgary could then go to Vancouver.
I was going to say; I definitely think that mountain investment would make sense, but the better approach might actually be to build a new publicly owned corridor that can allow passenger prioritization and mostly sell access to the freight operators. Even with infrastructure on the level of HFR, YVR-YYC-YEG starts to look like a reasonably viable passenger corridor if there is dedicated track in Alberta and some kind of assured timing in the mountains.

Last edited:

Today we mark the start of an important step forward for the HFR project.. We are launching the first phase of our environmental field studies which will take place along two railway routes in Ontario and Quebec.

These studies will help identify and understand sensitive species and areas, so we can adequately plan for them and protect them as we design the project. They will provide meaningful data and points of reference to HFR planners. Click here to discover our studies and learn more: https://lnkd.in/e4NRK5Ra

Direct website link: https://hfr-tgf.ca/field-studies-2023/
Direct map link on Google Maps: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=11SirbhC6vJ6EaRB_l6QH5YyiX0SxTFc&ll=45.339996406679674,-74.50419131076752&z=8

Screenshot:

1688579894911.png

I was going to say; I definitely think that mountain investment would make sense, but the better approach might actually be to build a new publicly owned corridor that can allow passenger prioritization and mostly sell access to the freight operators. Even with infrastructure on the level of HFR, YVR-YYC-YEG starts to look like a reasonably viable passenger corridor if there is dedicated track in Alberta and some kind of assured timing in the mountains.

The unfortunate irony is that, the more tunnels one builds in the mountains, the less scenery VIA has to offer.

My simplistic/naive observation is that Hope to Crowsnest is only slightly over 300 miles as the crow flies. Imagine if all the current CN and CP traffic through the mountains ran on one straight-line double track tunnel only 300 miles in length.

Crowsnest is only 300 m higher than Calgary, and it would be all downhill from there to the Pacific. No Rogers Pass, no Kicking Horse. No mudslides, avalanches, etc.

Gotthard Base Tunnel is 35 miles in length and double track. It cost 9.6B Swiss francs.

Maybe the full Hope-Crowsnest thing is out of reach financially and practically, but one has to wonder hypothetically if the payback might actually be there for things in that vein. Glacier to Golden straight line is 23.3 miles, and that eliminates Rogers Pass altogether. Connecting Golden to Eldon is 25 miles, and that eliminates Kicking Horse Pass. There must be a price point that makes those propositions attractive.

I can see why CP's financiers would not propose that project or try to raise the money - but with public money being used, recovering the cost over some number of decades, maybe that's a useful role for Canada that the private sector can't fulfil.

- Paul

Not to mention upgrading of crossings, installing passing sidings and installing CTC along the way. Currently the whole line is dark territory so only one train can occupy the line at the same time.
Dark territory by R105 or OCS? Alot of CPs trackage is OCS dark territory (galt sub west of guelph Junction, mactier north of bolton),

R105 only permits a max speed of 15 mph unless otherwise stated by timetable footnotes...

As far as I know when the Owen sound sub was active as the OBRY it was max 15 mph and back when it was OCS/MBS it was maximum 35 mph... similar story with the Meaford sub

Dark territory by R105 or OCS? Alot of CPs trackage is OCS dark territory (galt sub west of guelph Junction, mactier north of bolton),

R105 only permits a max speed of 15 mph unless otherwise stated by timetable footnotes...

As far as I know when the Owen sound sub was active as the OBRY it was max 15 mph and back when it was OCS/MBS it was maximum 35 mph... similar story with the Meaford sub

Nitpick: OCS can be "dark", ie unsignalled - eg Newmarket Sub north of Washago - or "not dark" - eg Galt Sub and Mactier Sub, which are both OCS with ABS signalling in place.

Traditionally "dark" meant not signalled, rather than not CTC.

- Paul

Regulated airline prices are happening now? I wasn't aware. Our daughter was recently booking a flight to Kelowna and the prices were changing seemingly hourly.

I realize the industry itself is regulated, but not to the point of restraining trade. Provided he meets all the safety and financial requirement of the various regulatory agencies, if Elon Musk decided to whittle away his billions in a low cost domestic carrier, I doubt anyone would stop him. I doubt restraining trade and competition is on any mainstream political party's agenda.

I didn't mean airline price regulation is happening now. I meant the government interferes a lot into the private business operations, and sets a lot of regulations. Some for a good reason, some otherwise.

Therefore, I don't see why that specific regulation - minimum prices on air routes Toronto-Montreal, Toronto-Ottawa, and perhaps a few others where a usable rail connection exists - would meet a particularly strong opposition.

Back