News   May 03, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 626     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 300     0 

Varsity Arena at U of T

those wooden love seat beanches are classic.
takes me back to going to see the Generals play at the oshawa civic as a kid.

Yup, good old John Brower! The last I heard, he was in San Fran or L A.

No mention of Rick Taylor promoting 888 Yonge Street? (Led Zep)

Regards,
J T

Hi I am in the process of putting together a documentary on the town houses that were developed on top of this factory. I could use your help in any way. the sooner the better

Three months before the Toronto Rock and Roll Revival, the same local promoters organized the Toronto Pop Festival at Varsity Stadium ( June 21/22 1969 ), bringing the Velvet Underground, Procul Harum, Alice Cooper, Johnny Winter, Steppenwolf and Blood, Sweat and Tears ... and others ... here.

http://www.sixtiesposters.com/images/torontopop.jpg

MAN! check out that weekend's line up. Amazing.
Awesome handbill as well. Thanks for posting.

"Yup, good old John Brower! The last I heard, he was in San Fran or L A." QUOTE. J T

Brower is back!

Regards,
J T

I remember playing hockey as a 12 year old outdoors until the playoffs when natural ice became impossible to maintain and we played in Varsity Arena. WOW! The ice was almost as soft and wet as the natural variety, I was a goalie and I remember an inch of water right in front of one net making it hard to concentrate but also offering something to play with when the action was at the other end.

A steel company, I believe it was Dominion Bridge, had a facility on the east side of Shaw Street between Dupont and Davenport in the 1950's.

Right about that time (I was a student at U of T) there was a save the environment concert (??) etc. at Varsity Arena. I stood outside for about an hour giving away free tickets. I think a university group was then sponsor.
I am sure George Carlin was one of the acts after he got out of his suit phase. Do this ring a bell for anyone?
Remember this was forty years ago so my memory is quite sketchy.

Back