News   Apr 26, 2024
 636     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Vancouver Surpasses Toronto and Montreal in City Brands Index

St. Even

Member Bio
Reaction score
Toronto has moved up to number 11 from 14 last year on the Anholt City Brands Index. Vancouver has jumped ahead of both Montreal and Toronto.

This is the perspective from the Vancouver Sun, haven't found anything local or on the Anholt website. I always love the irony of a reporter reporting on a report that he doesn't think we should care about.

City needs to push the envelope to stay on top
Miro Cernetig, Vancouver Sun
Published: Monday, March 17, 2008

Yet again Vancouver has climbed its way up another "great-city" list. This time the city has moved to No. 8 from No. 16 on something called the Anholt City Brands Index, a survey assessing the world's best received cities.

I suppose we should feel self-congratulatory about it, given we're sandwiched just below Barcelona and above Amsterdam. I always wanted to live in Amsterdam, but now I don't need to -- right? -- now that we're ahead of it, not to mention Berlin, Madrid, Geneva.

Well, maybe I've been taking this international rating game too literally. Top-10 and top-20 lists are getting just a little bit silly. Do we really think we're ahead of Tokyo, Geneva and Brussels? Please. Should they even be compared? In fact, lists are a dangerous delusion, reminiscent of the way Toronto once kept calling itself a world-class city, oblivious to the fact a world-class city never needs to say it.

These rankings take our attention off the question that's really at hand: With a million more people expected to be here by 2030, how are we going to stay on the cutting edge of urban planning that's put us in the livability big leagues?

That subject comes to mind after spending an hour with Larry Beasley, Vancouver's urban planning guru. As that white flash on his lapel --his Order of Canada -- reminds, this guy is one of the major reasons why we keep making the cut.

As you may know, Beasley retired as co-director of the city's planning department in 2006. Three days later the phone rang: Come to the desert and build two cities in Abu Dhabi. Now he has one of the coolest jobs around: special adviser to the crown prince of the small but fabulously oil-rich Arab emirate, dreaming up master plans for two cities.

It's meant a lot of jetting (business class, of course) between the Middle East and Vancouver, where he still lives. It's also given him some new perspectives on his hometown.

"I'm learning we're not as far ahead on some of this stuff as I thought we were," he says. The crown prince, for example, came up with the dream of a carbon-neutral city of 100,000 people. Does Vancouver have even one carbon-neutral building? Beasley doesn't hesitate: "No, I don't think so."

The uber-planner's point is not for us to create a carbon-neutral suburb. We're hardly gushing with the petro-wealth to build on such a fanciful scale. But to keep its reputation as an urban innovator -- and not sit back and rest on our geographic beauty and past triumphs -- we've got to keep pushing the envelope.

Consider culture. Abu Dhabi is literally building a cultural mecca in the desert, most notably with its decision to build an extension of the Louvre in the emirate. Why? It's because cultural institutions are becoming as important an economic node to the modern global city as skyscrapers. The new creative class wants cities with culture.

The B.C. government's decision to earmark $50 million for a new Vancouver art gallery, which could cost upwards of $400-million, is a major step to keep up. But is it enough? Answers Beasley: "That's fantastic.... But we're a city that needs 10 times as many cultural institutions. As an international city we have to have enough money for this. And I believe we do."

That brings the conversation around to architecture. Let's face it, it's never been this city's forte. Nature has been our cathedral, the mountains our skyline. But it's no longer enough.

The art gallery, Beasley says, absolutely must be a building that makes an international splash. What some call a glamour building, or destination architecture, such as the Guggenheim in Bilbao, Spain.

But, Beasley says, forget hiring an international "starchitect." There's plenty of talent at home, many already making an international mark.

Our most famous urban planner isn't saying Vancouver is in imminent danger of being knocked off the top of these city surveys. He's offering cautionary advice: "If we don't stay on the cutting edge, we're in danger of being left behind."

Which is why I say, leave dwelling on Top-10 lists to David Letterman. We've got more important things to focus on.

Brand-named cities

Vancouver jumped eight places in the most recent list of the world's top-20 cities in terms of "brand strength," moving ahead of both Toronto and Montreal. The top-three cities remain unchanged for the third consecutive year.

1. Sydney

2. London

3. Paris

4. New York

5. Rome

6. Melbourne

7. Barcelona

8. Vancouver

9. Amsterdam

10. Montreal

11. Toronto

12. Berlin

13. Madrid

14. Geneva

15. Milan

16. Copenhagen

17. Stockholm

18. Brussels

19. Auckland

20. Tokyo

1. Sydney

2. London

3. Paris

4. Rome

5. New York

6. Washington, DC

7. San Francisco

8. Melbourne

9. Barcelona

10. Geneva

11. Amsterdam

12. Madrid

13. Montreal

14. Toronto

15. Los Angeles

16. Vancouver

17. Berlin

18. Brussels

19. Milan

20. Copenhagen

What a retarded list... I'm not even sure what the point of it is. How a city is 'received'? By who? Some people hate ALL cities. Ever been to Alberta? And Vancouver above Tokyo? geeeeze!

However, the only reason I could see Vancouver gaining a 'brand prominence' might be related to the upcoming Olympics. It's hyped way too highly here...I'm a bit embarrassed about it.

I also think Sydney is overrated.

I agree, lists like these are silly. The only interesting thing about it is the differences between the two years compared. One can only imagine why the composition of the list should change so radically.

What's most interesting is how DC, SF + LA slid straight off the list, leaving NYC as the only US entry...

This list does seem overly euro-centric, not to say that europe doesn't have great cities or maybe even the best cities. But brand is brand and Vancouver is both a great city and a great brand. I suspect it has a certain mythology in the anglo and anglo-american sphere because it is this shining little city sitting at the edge of the earth in the middle of nowhere somewhere.

Cities are the sums of millions of inhabitants so treating them as branding exercises is downright silly. Still, Vancouver has managed to scrape up a pretty decent stereotype of itself.

It's a nice city that gets better every time I visit. The peninsula of condo towers is not Manhattan but it's pretty unusual in that part of the world, so I understand their pride. The skytrain is growing aggressively and soon they will have built more miles of real rapid transit than Toronto has in less than half the time. I used to think that their modernist architectural tradition was better than ours, but I think we beat them in their own game . After I've been away from Vancouver for a long time, I think that their cityscape is made up of shimmering glass towers, but a quick trip will reveal that a lot of it is dull grey, low budget PoMo stucco midrises and a higher concentration of tacky high rises than you'd think. Richmond is the best suburb in Canada and it went from a collection of strip malls to a neon-filled ethnic neighbourhood that would put NYCC to shame. The Chinese food may not be better than in the 905, but it is more concentrated so you're accessible to more. That's my impression of Vancouver in a nutshell.

Believe me.. I live in Vancouver currently and we're not even close to having what Toronto has, esp. architectural diversity. For example, you'd be kidding yourself to find somthing that hasn't been built after 1890.

This is the same group that does the Nation Brands Index. Essentially, the city index involves massive amounts of opinion polling based the broad themes of: Presence, Place, Potential, Pulse, People and Pre-requisites. They also include people's perceptions even if they haven't been to the city, but weight it differently.

I too am skeptical of "rankings" of any kind. But what I find interesting about this is the whole "brand" angle, the difference between the image the city promotes and the perception people actually have. There is some useful stuff in here

When voting started for the Monopoly world cities game, there was a lot of discussion about Sydney and its brand, and it wasn't all that hard to believe that the rest of the world was voting for Sydney because of its reputation. I've never been to Sydney, but if I were polled for this survey, I would have given it huge marks based on the little info I know firsthand.

As far as Toronto goes, one of the main criticisms on many UT threads is the city's architecture, the lack of a sense of place. And sure enough, that's one of the areas where Toronto does poorest in this survey.

If we believe marketing, then only sporty, pretty people drink beer, and wearing Axe bodyspray will get you molested by random women on the street. While I don't put a lot of weight into these things, they're not totally useless either. For example, this kind of info can be particularly useful following a major event like SARS. How long does it take for a city's reputation to recover from something like that?

More info below on the categories (from their website)
http://www.citybrandsindex.com/

on The Presence
This point of the City Brand Hexagon is all about the city’s international status and standing. In this section, we ask how familiar people are with each of the 60 cities in the survey, whether they have actually visited them or not, and ask what the cities are famous for. We also ask whether each city has made an important contribution to the world in culture, science, or in the way cities are governed, during the last 30 years.

on The Place
Here, we explore people’s perceptions about the physical aspect of each city: How pleasant or unpleasant they imagine it to be outdoors and to travel around the city, how beautiful it is, and what the climate is like.

on The Potential
This point of the City Brand Hexagon considers the economic and educational
opportunities that each city is believed to offer visitors, businesses and immigrants. We ask our global panel how easy they think it would be to find a job in the city, and if they had a business, how good of a place they think it would be to do business. Finally, we ask whether each city would be a good place for them or other family members to get a higher educational qualification.

on The Pulse
The appeal of a vibrant urban lifestyle is an important part of each city’s brand image. In this section, we explore how exciting people think the cities are, and ask how easy they think it would be to find interesting things to do, both as a shortterm visitor and a long-term resident.

on The People
The people make the city, and in this point of the hexagon, we ask whether our respondents think the inhabitants would be warm and friendly, or cold and prejudiced against outsiders. We ask whether they think it would be easy for them to find and fit into a community that shares their language and culture. Finally, and very importantly, we ask our global panel how safe they think they would feel in the city.

on The Prerequisites
This is the section where we ask people about how they perceive the basic qualities of the city: What they think it would be like to live there, how easy they think it would be to find satisfactory, affordable accommodation, and what they believe the general standard of public amenities is like – schools, hospitals, public transport, sports facilities, and so on.

"The skytrain is growing aggressively and soon they will have built more miles of real rapid transit than Toronto has in less than half the time."

I don't agrree with this statement... public transit in toronto is still more extensive (especially if you include GO transit) and with MoveOntario 2020 things will be growing.

Vancouver is building the sky train out to the airport and slightly beyond for the olympics... outside of that its just their buses and 1 westcoast express line. (and Ferry)

Yeah, but then again the first settlement in what is the Vancouver area was in the 1860s, and the city wasn't incorporated until 1886. The Toronto area was first settled in the 1790s and was incorporated as the Town of York sometime around then.

Believe me.. I live in Vancouver currently and we're not even close to having what Toronto has, esp. architectural diversity. For example, you'd be kidding yourself to find somthing that hasn't been built after 1890.

Vancouver DOES have a sense of place, given its geography. Toronto can't match that. But Toronto does have such things as red streetcars...something I dearly miss. Hope Toronto never looses those...they definitely add character, no matter how slowly they go ;)

Branding would seem to suggest a certain homogeneity where otherwise there would be a (desired) diversity. I wonder if even an existing stereotype can used to define the brand of a city.

Snort. No matter how wanky these 'lists' are, you're guaranteed someone's going to find the info useful. And in this particular context it will be tourism authorities.

You mean this hasn't put us in the Top 10?

Toronto%20Unlimited.gif

Back